The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Ascot Gold Cup 2009

Home Forums Archive Topics Royal Ascot Archive Royal Ascot 2014 Ascot Gold Cup 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 1537

An absolute belter of a horse. Found extra with that trademark power. Beautiful !!!!!!!!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Oh Ye of little faith!

Absolutely Brilliant! isn’t that what it’s all about?

Now about next year :lol:

Chris B
    • Total Posts 145

Incredible. Didn’t have a bet, but today wasn’t about the money. I had goose bumps when he went clear! They’ve only just gone!

I’ve not been following racing lately, but this is one of the reasons I fell in love with it.

So happy for him. :D

Participant
    • Total Posts 32178

Phenomenal horse, shed a few tears today, that is what racing is all about.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

Brilliant.

I was one of the doubters, but it’s always great to see history being made. To take a Group 1 four years running is awsome.

Got a great ride from Murtagh too (the two best rides of the meeting, the other Spacious). Went for home on the turn when both Patkai and Geordieland were caught behind horses and had to wait for a run. But don’t think it made any difference to the result in the end. No excuses, Patkai ran as well as I expected, just that Yeats is as good as ever.

Congratulations to connections particularly his trainer; and all who backed him.

Value Is Everything
    RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

I found it odd why people were so concerned about his Navan run, I wasn’t for two things;

1. He had last year previously won at Navan, last year but was way from his impressive run.

2. He had thrown a really poor performance at Longchamp in the Cadran, yet turned back there the following month and won. This was probably Yeats at his best ever in a Gold Cup cause he sees the trip out even better aas he gets older. He could go on winning this for a few years but I guess connections would retire him after his campaign. He’s made over the £1m mark and now is the only ever horse to win 4 Gold Cups and before he ran in this no one really cared about the stayers division so he deserves a a whole lot of credit for bringing the public interested again.

There were also a few who took pride in knocking Patkai, he is very young and its even harder for a younger horse in a field we had today who for some were battle hardened for battle with Yeats and Geordieland now running in this for 3 years and if he’d never ran Yeats would have ran out a 18l winner, and we’d have a Master Minded type run, Patkai loves Ascot and thought it was a great effort, first time Moore had a smile on his face the entire meeting and he came 2nd, he actually in the end faded as he chased really hard to catch but had no more speed. If Yeats does retire cant see anything beating him if he turns up next year either.

dostoy
    • Total Posts 23

It was very emotional.

I very nearly cried before the race and did cry after the race.

I am a huge AOB fan and this horse is now immortal.

The horse did not pull at all today unlike last year and I am SO SO SO happy he won.

It was a perfect result.

Will they stop now or continue ?

I hope he does not come back for a fifth one as he has done enough.

Stormwatch
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33

Yeats The Great

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

It was wonderful; as I watched it I felt sorry for all the people who don’t take an interest in racing and don’t get to feel the sort of elation that I felt today….not only that but Yeats is probably one of the most beautiful horses I’ve ever seen. I so wish I’d been there today. But, yes; please please let connections retire him now.

• Total Posts 4293

What I find weird is that if Yeats’s 3yo campaign hadn’t been compromised, and he had managed to win the Derby, he would never have had the opportunity to show how great a horse he is.

Was Blakeney the last Derby winner to run in the Gold Cup? Now that is definitely something we won’t see again in our lifetimes.

Haven’t watched the race, as I was working overtime. Didn’t need to though. A liittle surprised that it is reported that the 2nd and 3rd were caught out when Yeats struck for home round the bend – he usually goes for home then, or just before.

I was a little surprised that Bannaby wasn’t declared. Has he had a setback?

+£24, a little bit more profitable than my Hunt Cup escapade. :roll:

Will do Knot In Wood in the Wokingham, and then the next project will be the Summer National.

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Why can Patkai only perform at Ascot? Seems a strange one, he has been really average everywhere else.

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

Yeats was/ is just great, but can we start mullering Shane Kelly now please for his ride on Geordieland? :D

"Probably the worst piece of pace judgment in a group race that I’ve ever seen", said my pocket immediately after the race. :x

Anyone else?

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Beaten 3 times by Yeats already, same age, nothing to suggest the form could be reversed, etc. Poor ride but I doubt he could have finished 2nd anyway.

• Total Posts 1688

I agree. He was ridden to instructions, maybe a little too committed to the instructions, perhaps. Run this race 100 times however, and Yeats wins 100 times.

At least on the bend, when there were a few struggling for stamina, Shane could’ve nudged Geordieland and devoured them within a furlong, and then proceeded to "cruise" again.

The ride seemed robotic at times.

I still cannot recall a more beautiful endurance horse than Yeats. Last night was fairytale stuff. I’m so honoured to have witnessed it.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

This wasn’t a case of anyone riding a bad race and is definitely pocket talk OTS.

Johnny Murtagh proabaly didn’t realise it at the time but he couldn’t have kicked at a worse time for Patkai or Geordieland.

Bothe horses need to be held up and both jockey were doing their jobs very well. The had their horses in a perfect position going into the bend and all was well until Murtagh kicked for home. Whe he did Yeats picked up so well he gained 4 lengths round the bend and there was nothing either jockey could do.

You could clearly see Ryan Moore was aware of it but he had nowhere to go and had to sit and wait. Shane while on the outside of
    Patkai could do anything either as had tried to go round Sagara on th bend with Myles’s magical move he would have ended up in the car park at the other side of the course.

Had Patkai been able to follow Yeats through he would certainly have finished closer but like Myles I agree no way would he have won.

As far as Geordieland is concerned if he had been able to move soone he would have probably been beaen further than he was. He was a but unfortunate not to be able to go through the gap between Sagara and Centinal as it closed just as he was about to. He had to take a pull and go round Sagara and as it turned out he had very little horse under him anyway.

I think it’s about time his trainer faced up to the fact he doesn’t get 2m4f and start looking for races over 1m6f to 2 miles for the horse.

Fortune favoured Mr. Murtagh yesterday a little bit more than they could have, but that’s racing and he and Yeats won the day which is all that matters now.

Participant
    • Total Posts 738

This wasn’t a case of anyone riding a bad race and is definitely pocket talk OTS.

Johnny Murtagh proabaly didn’t realise it at the time but he couldn’t have kicked at a worse time for Patkai or Geordieland.

Bothe horses need to be held up and both jockey were doing their jobs very well. The had their horses in a perfect position going into the bend and all was well until Murtagh kicked for home. Whe he did Yeats picked up so well he gained 4 lengths round the bend and there was nothing either jockey could do.

You could clearly see Ryan Moore was aware of it but he had nowhere to go and had to sit and wait. Shane while on the outside of
    Patkai could do anything either as had tried to go round Sagara on th bend with Myles’s magical move he would have ended up in the car park at the other side of the course.

Had Patkai been able to follow Yeats through he would certainly have finished closer but like Myles I agree no way would he have won.

As far as Geordieland is concerned if he had been able to move soone he would have probably been beaen further than he was. He was a but unfortunate not to be able to go through the gap between Sagara and Centinal as it closed just as he was about to. He had to take a pull and go round Sagara and as it turned out he had very little horse under him anyway.

I think it’s about time his trainer faced up to the fact he doesn’t get 2m4f and start looking for races over 1m6f to 2 miles for the horse.

Fortune favoured Mr. Murtagh yesterday a little bit more than they could have, but that’s racing and he and Yeats won the day which is all that matters now.

If I had anything to do with Geordieland, I’d be seriously thinking about 8 flights of Hurdles. Won’t happen though….

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

If I could get Aiden to lend me Yeats, I’d send him to Nicky Henderson, ride him myslef and still beat you :lol:

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.