The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

2000 Guineas Antepost.

Home Forums Horse Racing 2000 Guineas Antepost.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    sketti
    • Total Posts 343

Hello everyone new to the board and just interested if anyone has had an antepost bet on the 2000 guineas?

Be honest even if they look rubbish now!

Got on Rio De La Plata after his goodwood win largely because i like the race it tends to have thrown up good horse recently- Shamardal and Sir Percy.
    However wish i hadnt have bothered, doubt i will get a run hes got French 2000 written all over him my only hope is the sun comes out and firms up the newmarket ground for him.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 3

Until this year I’ve only followed US racing, so I’m a real beginner when it comes to races in the UK. What kind of prep schedule to horses typically follow leading up to the 2000 guineas? A layoff for the Winter, followed by one race prior to the 2000? Two races? Also, are there specific prep races that tend to used as major preps (equivalent to the Florida Derby, Wood Memorial, and Santa Anita Derby in the US)?

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4518

No 2,000 Guineas bet I am afraid – pre-Coolmore and Godolphin it was a little easier to speculate what was going to run.

Very unlikely horses will run twice before the Guineas – much more likely to go there without a previous run. Historically, the main trials are the Greenham at Newbury and Craven at Newmarket although they again are not the stepping stones they used to be.

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 27766

I’ve backed four horses so far.

Started with River Proud 50/1 and took 399/1 yesterday. Came in and then went out again. Considering had excuses the two poor runs, hit head in the stalls in Champagne, over the top in Racing Post, still not without a chance.

Raven’s Pass 12/1 immediately after the Sandown race, awsome time. Hopefully will get firmish conditions.

Rio De La Plata 29/1 a few weeks ago. I am sure Godolphin will go wherever they can get a firm surface.

??????????? 74/1 Always had a soft spot for this one since I saw his debut. Timeform tip him in Racehorses hence I don’t feel able to name him. Though his stable is rarely firing as early as May.

The main bet is Raven’s Pass.

Ginge

value is everything
    davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Don’t be coy Ginger! I presume the horse you refer to is Stimulation. As the entry on that horse states, Morrison is yet to even have a classic runner. The Ascot form isn’t the easiest to interpret and the rating he has been given is an extremely positive one. Even with an uninterrupted passage and a better ride from Steve Drowne, I don’t think the horse would have run to the rating he’s been alloted for Ascot in the Horris Hill. Time will tell how good the Ascot form is and it’s disappointing Confront didn’t take up his Racing Post Trophy as it might have given a few extra clues.

Personally I haven’t had a bet yet and won’t until I know the ground. I’d be happy to take 3/1 on the day Ravens Pass on fast ground rather than risk taking 7’s now as he’d be a 40’s shot for the race on soft.

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 27766

I’ve already taken 12/1 so don’t need the 7/1 or 3/1 about Raven’s Pass. Though would say 7/1 now is the price to take. Good going would not be a problem, and it is odds against it being softer.

You might that David, I could not possibly comment. Don’t think anyone should say who Timeform tip in Racehorses. It is surely only for their readers to know.

Ginge

value is everything
    Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4822

I cant understand why Fast Company is nearly 4 times the price of New Approach given the Dewhurst form and his greater potential scope. 8/1 looks a decent price at this stage.

Salselon
    • Total Posts 883

It’s not the respective merits of Fast Company, Ibn Khaldun or Rip de la Plata that concern me, it’s can Godolphn have them ready and at their peak come Guineas time? Recent History says no.

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

I won’t be getting involved ante post, but New Approach is the horse I fancy. Hopefully he has trained on.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 27766

I agree in the recent past Godolphin have not done too well in May. But they have been in unusually good form in Dubai these last few weeks. May be this time will be different.

Make that five horses.

Just put a saver on Fast Company. Saw this one on debut too (at Salisbury). A freind of mine was very impressed that day, told me he thought it would make a 2000 candidate. He was not going to back it until I persuaded him, if you feel that strongly then get on.

His (and Rio’s) exchange price is a worry, far better than bookies. Makes you wonder how likely they are to go to Newmarket.

Ginge

value is everything
    davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

I didn’t really like the way that Fast Company went through the Dewhurst and I’m not convinced he’s as good as the bare form makes him appear. He couldn’t go the early gallop and he’s only got into the race as the pace horses haven’t got home in the conditions. He may be a 125+ horse but I want more evidence of that before I’d back him for the Guineas. The yard also look to have a strong hand this year with Rio de la Plata and Ibn Khaldun both also possible candidates for the race and I can’t see all of them being aimed there.

New Approach undoubtedly has the best juvenile form, on a par with Teofilo the year before but I’m not sure the Guineas will be his race. He was tapped for speed in the Dehurst and it was only because Ravens Pass and arguably Rio de La Plata didn’t get home that he got past them. Although he’s yet to do anything at all wrong in the race, his antics beforehand remain a concern that he’s a ticking time bomb waiting to go off. We shall see anyway, roll on the first Saturday in May.

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 27766

Anyone know if New Approach will be allowed a companion pony in the paddock / to post in the Guineas.

Ginge

value is everything
    Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4822

I don’t think Ibn or Fast Comapny will have the stamina for the Derby, I reckon they’ll both go for the 2000. The turn of foot Fast Company showed of a fastish pace in the Dewhurst had a real stamp of class about it imo.

Godolphin know they have underachieved, 2008 will start the resurgence imo.

Roll on the flat.

Salselon
    • Total Posts 883

CR,

I agree re the Godolphin resurgence, but would you not think Fast Company stayed on better on the softer ground as opposed to showing a turn of foot?

Raven’s Pass for me too.

Am very much looking forward to the flat.

Librettist
    • Total Posts 559

I was a big Rio De La Plata fan too. Backed him after his Goodwood win as not only was it visually very impressive, the time was much better than an all-aged stakes race later on the card. The form has hardly been upheld though, with the notable exception of Scintillo who was trounced by RDLP there before going on to score in group company. RDLP was also visually impressive at Longchamp but seemed beaten fair and square in the Dewhurst, although he may have been over the top and definitely wouldn’t have appreciated the ground.

Also had a little something on Ibn Khaldun at 72/1 for the Guineas. I think the race may well be run to suit him.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.