The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

2000 Guineas 2010

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion 2000 Guineas 2010

Viewing 17 posts - 120 through 136 (of 531 total)
  • Author
    andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Interesting post,needs some clarification.

• Total Posts 1511

"Our most likely runners for the Stanjames.com 2000 guineas at Newmarket on Saturday 1st May will hopefully come from the following horses;

St Nicholas Abbey

Viscount Nelson

Fencing Master

Beethoven

It is unfortunate that Steinbeck is going to miss the Stanjames.com 2000 Guineas. He has done really well and we are very excited about him. Hopefully he will restart in the Abu Dhabi Irish 2000 Guineas on Saturday 22nd May at the Curragh.

Our most likely runners for the Stanjames.com 1000 guineas at Newmarket on Sunday 2nd May will hopefully come from the following fillies;

Famous

Devoted To You

You’ll Be Mine"

Aidan O Brien.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

For what it is worth I don’t believe any of the three will get within 5lengths of SNA.If Aidan thinks VN is a Guineas horse I am a dutchman.The two Oratorio horses will make good mile and two but not Guineas horses.They did not display the early speed necessary to keep up in position to win the Guineas.Can you see either of them keeping up with Canford Cliffs?

Fryern
    • Total Posts 175

Some interesting entries for the Dante stakes

http://horses.sportinglife.com/Racecard … 73,00.html

• Total Posts 1511

Almost certain now Jan Vermeer heads to the Ballydoyle traditional Prep.

Cape Blanco prob head to the Dante or At First Sight.

Fryern
    • Total Posts 175

Had a ratio bet on Elusive Pimpernel.

John’s just up the road and so is/was Guy.

20-1 anti post after some negotiations.

Elusive Quality it’s dad has the record time for 1 mile on turf. Son is a big boy and will take a lot of beating imo. I’m not on my own.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/oth … -1.1016531

I see EP is entered for the Dante.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

John Dunlop doesn’t have the ammunition these day to be gambling with a good horses when he gets one these days.

Really can’t see him sending Elusive Pimpernel to Newmarket as he’s clearly a Derby prospect who lacks the speed to be taking on a crop like this.

Be a waste of time and he’d be much better training the horse for a Derby trial IMO.

Canford Cliffs apparently wintered very well and the money keeps coming for him. That could be down to the fact no one trusts AOB and there not sure if he’s going to run SNA. However he has said Steinbeck won’t run and everything seems to be pointing to SNA turning up, but he has bottled it twice already against the Hannon horse and may do so again if reports are to be believed.

More likely, the fact Hughsie is so pleased with his progress and won’t hear of defeat is what’s shortening him up. Plus as TAPK points out Richard Hannon isn’t pulling his punches either stating he’s the best horse he’s had in 40 years.

Looking back on his race in France there’s 2 things you can take out of it. Canford Cliffs’s is not just a school yard bully. He gave as good as he got that day proving he won’t go down without a fight which is an added plus in case of emergencies.

The other point being is that race was in a different league to the Racing Post which always looked like being a one horse race.

The Guineas was never going to be a target for St Nicholas Abbey. He was huge price for the Guineas before he ran in the Racing Post and all the talk was for the Derby. I myself grabbed 25/1 after his first race for Epsom but never once did I think of backing him at similar odds for the Guineas.

I’m not into value betting or not backing a horse because he’s too short. If I think he’ll win price is irrelevant. My problem with SNA is he beat absolutely nothing else that possessed the speed to win a top class Grade1 8f 3yo race.

I think he’s a cracking horse or wouldn’t have backed him to win the Derby but like Dunguib you can be made to look better than you actually are if the opposition is weak. If he turns up at Newmarket the step up in class will be massive in what could be one of the best Guineas since the Brigadier took on Mill Reef and My Swallow.

I’m at a bit of a loss on why Workforce has leapfrogged Arcano and Awzaan in the betting. You have to respect anything SMS send for a classic but this fellow is no more than the best of a bad lot. His Treble Jig just beat one of Richard Hannon’s that wouldn’t get within a furlong of Canford Cliffs and if his other entry didn’t belong to Hamdan Al Maktoum it would have more chance of being entered in the Triumph hurdle than the Guineas.

Workforce himself looks a nice prospect but he doesn’t look the type to win a Guineas. Most Guineas horses have a high cruising mode and a good burst of speed but of what I have seen of this horse’s style of running he doesn’t fit into that category. He found plenty on his debut but was racing all the way and you simply can’t do that in top class company.

The fact he will have improved won’t change his style of racing. It wasn’t a case greeness with him or that he pulls hard it’s just the way he is IMO. I think against horses like these and with his style of running he could easily burn himself out before the dip.

As much as I like St Nicholas Abbey I can’t forget the way Canford Cliffs detroyed everything at Goodwwod. The horse is an absolute monster of an animal and if he goes to Newmarket in that kind of form he’ll be unbeatable.

The fact he was beaten in France doesn’t bother me one bit. He was a mere baby then and according to Richard Hannon he’s starting to fill his huge frame makes me wonder what on earth he’ll be like now. The fact the man says he’s the best he’s had for 40 years isn’t something I would suggest anyone takes lightly.

Add to that the fact Hughsie reckons he’ll get the mile standing on his head and taking it you can trust the man’s judgement how can you back against him?

So don’t say you weren’t told….Canford Cliffs will winthe Guineas :mrgreen:

• Total Posts 1415

Fist I have to hand it to you when you like a horse it takes a hell of a lot to shift you doesn’t it? 8)

Canford Cliffs won’t win the Guineas though mate, give up on this one. :wink:

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Interesting Fist. In which race exactly did SNA run against weak opposition? Like Dunguib as you so nicely put it?

• Total Posts 1415

Interesting Fist. In which race exactly did SNA run against weak opposition? Like Dunguib as you so nicely put it?

I think Fist has a point in as much as the Racing post Trophy was a weaker race than the Dewhurst. At the time I was of the impression that the Dewhurst wasn’t much of a race as there was a bunched finish but I have changed my mind now especially as the first two are bred to be better over further.

The Racing Post Trophy I don’t think was as good a race but that said St Nicholas Abbey was awesome. A horse by Montjeu who is practically certain to be a middle distance horse won on the bridle off a slow early pace coming from last to first. You have to expect St Nicholas Abbey to be better than that bare form and though Newmarket will be a speedier test St Nicholas Abbey travelled like a dream at Doncaster and seems to have a freakish amount of speed for a Montjeu colt. He’s a very worthy favourite.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Such conclusions are arrived at after the fact.Was the second home in the Racing Post a lesser horse compared to the second in the Dewhurst?I don’t think so.

• Total Posts 4293

deleted.

• Total Posts 4293

deleted.

• Total Posts 4293

deleted.

• Total Posts 1688

Surprised there was no mention of Alfred Nobel in those possibles from APO’B — he is the fastest of the Coolmore 3YOs after all, although I have some doubt he will be able to find in the last furlong if the pace is as expected.

Jury’s out on Beethoven, but he is a reasonable prospect.

Canford Cliffs is following a similar path to Henrythenavigator. If by design is questionable, but nonetheless fascinating.

On pedigree I’m not concerned by Tagula and his influences from Lyphard and Busted lean him towards a stamina-laden dosage profile when comparing with past 2,000 Guineas winners.

6/1 is a bit lean, though, but he is a starting point for candidates.

• Total Posts 1511

"That could be down to the fact no one trusts AOB and there not sure if he’s going to run SNA. However he has said Steinbeck won’t run and everything seems to be pointing to SNA turning up, but he has bottled it twice already against the Hannon horse and may do so again if reports are to be believed."

Are you serious why would Aidan O Brien run away from Richard Hannon….when he was the only one to take on Sea The Stars last year. Coolmore bottling against Richard Hannon 8) 8) . Dream Stuff. St Nicholas Abbey is going to the 2000 Guineas….their can be no doubt about it.

"I think Fist has a point in as much as the Racing post Trophy was a weaker race than the Dewhurst. At the time I was of the impression that the Dewhurst wasn’t much of a race as there was a bunched finish but I have changed my mind now especially as the first two are bred to be better over further."

The strongest race was the Racing Post obviously but the point over 1mile is very good one. Its hard to see any horses behind SNA being Milers. I would assume the only dangers are the one’s that have early season 2yr old form Arcano etc. I would find it hard to see that a Montjeu would not improve as a 3yr old.

• Total Posts 4293

Deleted.

Viewing 17 posts - 120 through 136 (of 531 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.