The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

2000 Guineas 2010

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion 2000 Guineas 2010

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 531 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 629

Hey Zarkava – I found my records on this foaling theory – the results are very interesting indeed!

Providing the dates are correct from the Racing Post website I went back to 1987 – that’s when info on dates etc run out.

Here are the number of winners and the months they were foaled :

Jan – 4

Feb – 6

Mar – 9

Apr – 3

May -1

The three foaled in April are:

1987 – Don’t Forget Me – 10th
    1993 – Zafonic – 1st
    2009 – Sea The Stars – 6th

The one foaled in May:

1992 – Rodrigo De Triano 27th

Just for fun:

There has been one grey winner:

1991 – Mystiko

Three chesnut:

2004 – Haafhd
    1992 – Rodrigo De Triano
    1989 – Nashwan

Four brown:

2008 – Henrythenavigator
    1999 – Island Sands (b/br)
    1993 – Zafonic
    1990 – Tirol

Four were second that were foaled in April:

Snow Ridge @ 8/1 by 1 3/4 to – Haafhd 2004
    Zafeen @ 33/1 by 3/4 to – Refuse To Bend 2003
    Enrique @ 7/1 by 1/4 to – Island Sands 1999
    Lend A Hand @ 8/1 by 1 1/4 to – King Of Kings 1998

Four were third foaled in April at odds!

Olympian Oddyssey @ 33/1 to – George Washington 2006
    Kandidate @100/1 to – Footstepinthesand 2005
    Norse Dancer @100/1 to – Refuse To Bend 2003
    Bin Ajwaad @66/1 to – Zafonic 1993

As you said some winners were in late March and there were quite a few third that were late March too – make of this what you will people!

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Don’t forget Poteen! A June 8th foal 3rd in ’97! :lol:

Not sure why I didn’t list Snow Ridge the other day. I think perhaps I changed my trends to incorporate Sea The Stars so my stats were possibly for April 15th or later.

However, I’ll do them now. April, May and June foals; 1-9-62.

Sea The Stars obviously the only winner, while 4 of the placed were foaled on a double-figure date in April; 15th, 19th, 25th, 29th. The only winners later than March 17th were the aforementioned and Mark of Esteem, March 26th.

This Poteen must seriously have been an utter freak.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Stop Stop Stop statistics are driving me crazy.After the first race (at Galway) nobody cares,or is able to care.Racing then becomes fun again.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Well you’re welcome to ignore them if you wish, Andy :) Obviously could be difficult on a free, public forum but you can try nonetheless.

Right, been through the entries A-L outlining exactly where they fall down, so if anybody cares…

Al Zir – sire didn’t win a Group/Grade 1 over 5-8f, also Racing Post Trophy runners don’t have a great winning record

Alfred Nobel – 3 attempts to win a maiden, outside the top 3 on his final start (Dewhurst is the exception), will only be possible to win 50%+ of his races if he has 2 preps and wins both and having 2 preps is a colossal negative.

Arcano – ran in a Group race over 6f

Arry’s Orse – dosage index lower than 16.6, still a maiden as a 2yo, rated less than 100, didn’t run in a Group race as a 2yo

Atlantis Star – outside the top 3 on his final start + didn’t run in a Group race as a 2yo

Audacity of Hope – sire (Red Ransom) didn’t win a Group/Grade 1 over 5-8f

Awesome Act – sire no G1 between 5-8f, April foal, dosage index below 16.6, more than 2 attempts to win a maiden, outside the top 3 on final start

Awzaan – ran in a Group race over 6f

Beauchamp Yorker – sire no G1 between 5-8f, dosage index under 16.6 and rated less than 100 as a 2yo

Beethoven – April foal, more than 8 starts as a 2yo & no chance of winning 50% of his starts

Black Snowflake – sire no G1 between 5-8f, dosage index below 16.6, more than 2 attempts to win a race, outside top 3 on final start

Business Bay – didn’t run as a 3yo, dosage index below 16.6

Buzzword – April foal, outside top 3 on final start, ran over 6f in a Group race, won’t be able to win 50% of starts without having 2 preps

Canford Cliffs – dosage index lower than 16.6, ran in the Coventry, ran in a Group race over 6f

Cape Blanco – sire no G1 between 5-8f, April foal

Will finish tomorrow.

p4jos1
    • Total Posts 10

I still think foaling dates aren’t important, if they are then it doesn’t look good for SNA foaled 13th April. I’ll stay with who I think gets a mile the best and for me thats Hearts of Fire to win and Workforce the place, we’ll know in 7 weeks time

Jon Daniels
    • Total Posts 5

Thanks Zarkava, very interesting.

• Total Posts 629

Zarkava – You are hardcore into this!

I’m sorry – I don’t hold the same faith – the stats show the earliest month to have only produced one more winner than the latest or cut off period – Jan (4) – Apr (3)

Feb produced (6)

Re: Poteen! – I thought that must have been a mistake – was it a three runner race or was lasix legal back then?!

Also – Pennekamp – 26th Mar the year before MOE.

Re: 6f form G1 form at two – I’m wary of runners from the Morny – last years looked strong on paper – I’ve already asked what people made of it…no replies!

p4jos1 – Good spot!

On dates your pick would seem to stand as much chance as the next…ie the current fav!

Add to the fact that as far as I’m aware – Montjeu hasn’t produced a 3yr old G1 winning miler!

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Zenjah, I’ve only gone back to 1995 for my stats, hence our data differs. It was nothing sinister on my part, cutting off Zafonic, Rodrigo, Nashwan, etc, just to give me a foaling date trend, I just decided to do the past 15 runnings rather than the past 10.

Spot on about Pennekamp, for some reason I had him down as a March 9th, probably a typo.

Re. Jan vs Feb. Compare the amount of January foal runners to April foal runners. There are very few of the former. 2-5-17 I make it since 1995. 24 runners compared to 1-8-42 April foals. 51 runners.

p4jos1 – Of course foaling dates are important. They determine how old a horse actually is. A 3yo foaled on January 28th is 3 years and 3 months old come the 2000 Guineas, but a 3yo foaled on April 22nd is barely 3. That’s a lot of difference for a very, very young animal.

And re. Montjeu, he hasn’t even had a Group 1 winner over a trip shorter than 10 1/2f despite half a dozen odd attempts with Motivator, Hurricane Run, Authorized, Fame And Glory, etc.

• Total Posts 1511

Steinbeck looks like he won’t be going to the 2000 Guineas

Irish Racing reports that all of AOB horses will work on Sunday week at the Curragh but Steinbeck was not mentioned along with Fencing Master/Jan and St Nick.

Also his price has gone hay wire on Betfair he has drifted out to 20 at one stage during the week but is not back down to around 15.5 for peanuts. Very little money lining up to back him.

As usual the Betfair Market has broken Solwhit/Punchestown and Uimhiraceathair news before the Trainers have come out. I suspect this Fragile son of Footstepsinthesand will not be running

p4jos1
    • Total Posts 10

Zarkava, we’re all entitled to our opinions re foaling dates but if they were as important as you suggest, and as we know the most important stage of a racehorses racing career is its 3 year old career and if it had such a detrimental effect being a late foal, then I find it hard to believe that someone like John Magnier would pay £200,000 for SNA an april born foal. I’m not saying it doesn’t have any bearing to the horses development but in my opinion it shouldn’t affect your choice in a race, as you generally pick a horse based on current form. Obviously this will only apply if the horse has run before, e.g my point about Hearts of Fire winning the Brocklesby

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7872

Any more news on Steinbeck.I hope he is not injured.

• Total Posts 629

Let’s be fair – how many of us thought that It never looked good for him (Steinbeck) when the lads added SNA to their betting at the lowest price of 2’s?

Regardless of SNA being an April foal or whether Monjeu is a sire of milers!

• Total Posts 1511

As expected Steinbeck misses 2000 Guineas que my comment above

Jan Vermeer also injured but no worries on that front as he won’t be out for a while.

• Total Posts 206

I think SNA has all the gears he needs for the 2000. Obviously, the Derby looks the more obvious classic for him to win, but he has a favourites chance in the Guineas. At the price, he can’t be backed though.
    I don’t fancy the Dewhurst form at all though. Fair enough Steinbeck ran a cracker for such an inexperienced horse and consequently is open to shovel-loads of improvement this season but you’d have to wait and see more of him. Hopefully he returns with the potential he’s shown thus far

• Total Posts 1511

I Don’t believe for a second that Steinbeck is injured or missing the race purely due to injury. He may have a knock but 6 weeks ago their was rumours that

Steinbeck was Irish 2000
    St Nick Guineas
    Fencing Master French 2000

With continued support for Cape Blanco he could also run in the 2000 now.

Jan Vermeer the Ballydoyle prep in Ireland for the Derby(ballysax/derrinstown etc)

Isamar
    • Total Posts 1

Zarkava is right that foaling dates are important and a horse born in April is probably running against horses on average 1 to 2 months older which at 3 years old is perhaps a 3% to 6% difference.

However this fact is even more pronounced at 2 years old and p4jos has a good point in that Hearts of Fire won the Brocklesby against horses maybe 2 to 3 months older and he wasn’t even 2. 3 months at that age equates to a more pronounced advantage for the older horse than Hearts Of Fire will face in the Guineas.

The Brocklesby is a far cry from the 2000 Guineas but Hearts Of Fire only really improved when he stepped up in distance to 7f and so the fact he won the first flat race of the season over possibly an inadequate 5f, and he wasn’t even 2 years old, is quite remarkable.

Looks a decent EW to me at 33/1

• Total Posts 4293

For some reason this is the first time I’ve noticed this thread for a couple of weeks. Still on the first page, but it is a good ‘un already.

Thanks for the local knowledge Funkmaster, there ain’t that much of it around. We usually have to rely on Fist in Thailand.

Only bet with betfair, so I was surprised that Kingsfort is 16/1. For some reason on betfair, it is hard for the price to get much lower than 30 or so. The funny thing is, I used to look at the 2000 Guineas market 2 or 3 times a day last Summer, but I’ve barely looked at it this year.

A couple of things I already wanted to comment on, but this one really annoyed me. Will read it to remind me what its about.

After the mess he made of the race last year I wouldn’t be interested in any of AOB’s. Especially as the animals behind SNA in the betting have achieved bugger all.

Aah, it annoyed me on two levels. First, AOB isn’t capable of learning?

Secondly, Beethoven. This is the secret love that I have kept away from Zarkava. You can’t knock this one out on pedigree. What its got against it is all those runs.

One of the reasons that people knocked Kingsfort’s run in the National Stakes was how close Beethoven was, but Beethoven went on to win the Dewhurst.

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 531 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.