The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

2000 Guineas 2010

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion 2000 Guineas 2010

Viewing 17 posts - 477 through 493 (of 531 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 1511

The winner is still a incredibly good horse to smash Trends like that to pieces and this trainer obviously looks the real deal

The pace angle has to revolve around the horses behind the winner.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Gordon, I agree with you entirely, soft ground action.

But what on earth is within a stone of him that’s also going to run in the Derby? I know you’re thinking of Workforce, but if he doesn’t make it?

And to the above poster, look at Dick Turpin’s form at the back of last year ffs. He was clearly exposed, way out of his depth. Him and Canford both ran in a barely considered Guineas Trial these days.

Sounds like you’re a big Makfi fan anyway. Perhaps you wanna give me a price for him never to win again?

• Total Posts 1046

I’m struggling to see it: why won’t he win again?

He won the race fair and square, and may be even better off a stronger pace.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Well this is what I couldn’t understand, why was there no pace? It makes no sense. So many fast horses in there, so many possible 7f horses in there, I thought pace was a given.

Darren, just had a sizeable bet on St. Nick for the Derby at 4s. My friend and I were thinking maybe 5/2, 3/1 at best, but 4s is a crazy, crazy price.

Way too big 4’s. You get him each way and he only has to place. I didn’t back him for this but i’ve already given ladbrokes my winnings from the last few weeks.

• Total Posts 1982

Anyone want to give me odds for Makfi not to win again?

And ffs, would the tv ‘experts’ please be quiet. Wallace and Bosranic, I was there. He didn’t look a million dollars. His mouth was foaming and he looked on edge in the pre-parade ring. He needed a second handler ffs, and when he turned up St. Nick wasn’t happy in the slightest.

Makfi may, or may not, win another race, but that doesn’t change the fact that he was the best horse on the day. He travelled well and quickened better than anything else. End of story.

St Nicholas Abbey looked well in his coat and ready to race (as the tv pundits also stated – they were there, weren’t they?).

Well this is what I couldn’t understand, why was there no pace? It makes no sense. So many fast horses in there, so many possible 7f horses in there, I thought pace was a given.

I concluded that there were no obvious pacesetters in the race, with the exception of Al Zir (broke slowly) and Greyfriarschorista, who did take them along until halfway before Dick Turpin took over.

Anyone who though Viscount Nelson was travelling over from Ireland to be a pacemaker with Kieren booked to ride must have been clutching at straws – no chance of that happening.

An extract from my conclusion on page 25:

‘His victories (SNA) have come at the expense of horses who are bred or appear to want further, so the question is ‘How effective will his turn of foot be against speedier types?’

The likes of Canford Cliffs, Awzaan and Dick Turpin have top class form over sprint distances and it will be interesting to see how St Nicholas Abbey fares against them if they successfully tackle this trip.’

I favoured the sprint / Dewhurst form over the Racing Post Trophy, taking into consideration what St Nicholas Abbey beat in the RPT and the lack of obvious pace in the race. Only three of the previous ten winners of the race had a win to their name over eight furlongs.

Bottom line: St Nicholas Abbey wasn’t quick enough and Elusive Pimpernel, who finished closer than I expected, found a few with too much toe.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Gordon, I agree with you entirely, soft ground action.

But what on earth is within a stone of him that’s also going to run in the Derby? I know you’re thinking of Workforce, but if he doesn’t make it?

Viscount Nelson

will come into his own when stepped up to 11/2m! :wink:

• Total Posts 4293

MESSAGE FOR ZARKKAVA & PEDIGREE PERSON

Look at the sire + damsire stamina index figures of the first 4 home – highest is 17.something. The race was a total freak, first one since Golan.

Remember that Makfi is from Dubawi’s first crop. Dubawi’s index is only made up of wins by his 3yos so far this year. In 5 months’ time, his stamina index will be a bit more than 7.6f – probably in the 9-10f range.

• Total Posts 638

There seems to be quite a lot of emotional comment tonight, rather than the usual measured debate.
    I lost a fair bit on the race despite going close …I backed the Greenham form including the forecast and was a bit down for 10 mins after the race… I can tell you.

On reflection though it seems to me that the first 3 or 4 were all bred to be milers (no matter their run style previously)and the vanquished for the most part were not.

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

I really cannot understand why people are banging on about the pace in the race, even if there was a generous pace, I could never see SNA getting involved. He is a bred to be a middle distance horse, to see how good a three year old he is, we will have to wait until June 5th.

JohnJ

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

For a freak race with no pace pretty surprising Makfi was faster than both George Washington and Rock Of Gilbraltar.

Thought Makfi killed them all personally and was the only few genuine milers in the race and was a steal at 40’s when he was available at that, when he was near Dick Turpin, he still wasn’t asked the question by Lemaire seriously impressive, shame some people have to react in such manner.

• Total Posts 1511

O Brien now is sending Fencing Master to the Irish 2000 Guineas?

:? :?

Help me

• Total Posts 326

For a freak race with no pace pretty surprising Makfi was faster than both George Washington and Rock Of Gilbraltar.

Thought Makfi killed them all personally and was the only few genuine milers in the race and was a steal at 40’s when he was available at that, when he was near Dick Turpin, he still wasn’t asked the question by Lemaire seriously impressive, shame some people have to react in such manner.

They weren’t on, nuff said :D

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Is this a racing forum or a group of children slagging off other posters because they haven’t backed the winner?

The time means NOTHING on its own. The sectionals are important, not the time. They went a crawl early on and then sprinted – balances out. It suits the speed horses but not the stamina ones.

P.s. Gerald, well aware of that, posted the same on the Betfair forum but the same applies for the other 3. 17.6, 16.3 and 17.7. That is all speed.

• Total Posts 1511

My average timing had the first 5 furlong average at like 12 seconds and the final 3 furlong average was more than 1 sec quicker.

Very hard with no visual markers to time it though…really hard to get a good sectional as all i could see was the 3f marker on the replay accurately.

Nick Mordin i will be looking at your column with much interest next week

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Still the horse that won was a miler for me on pedigree, even with a "slow" pace the time does reflect that it fits in with standard of races ran in a typical 2000 Guineas, I would think the ground was fairly slower than last year also.

He was visually and time wise a very impressive winner, and cause there isn’t a trend to back the winner up then you don’t seem to approve, the form I thought has stacked up well with Canford Cliffs and Dick Turpin up within the places yet again. I personally did back the winner, I’m happy and of course biased, maybe in ten years Makfi will fall into line with a trend and thats why I do not follow trends.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Will certainly go down as one of my favorite guineas ever, fencing master would have been a better result 4 me but makfi is my best classic result 2 date nonetheless. I think fencing master was given a terrible ride 2day, it looked 2 me like he was pacesetting 4 sna who covered him most of the way. I’ll probably play fm in the sjp if theres a decent price 4 it. Have 2 hold my hands up with the winner though, it was value that attracted me, thought he should have been much shorter, as did plenty of others. I think the amount of people who were on him on here shows what a great forum this is. Cockney rebel didnt get the reception mafki did.

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Will certainly go down as one of my favorite guineas ever, fencing master would have been a better result 4 me but makfi is my best classic result 2 date nonetheless. I think fencing master was given a terrible ride 2day, it looked 2 me like he was pacesetting 4 sna who covered him most of the way. I’ll probably play fm in the sjp if theres a decent price 4 it. Have 2 hold my hands up with the winner though, it was value that attracted me, thought he should have been much shorter, as did plenty of others. I think the amount of people who were on him on here shows what a great forum this is. Cockney rebel didnt get the reception mafki did.

They were all French cheering him, they must have sent a whole supporting army for him.

Viewing 17 posts - 477 through 493 (of 531 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.