The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

2000 Guineas 2010

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion 2000 Guineas 2010

Viewing 17 posts - 392 through 408 (of 531 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 296

Hughes relishing Classic cliff-hanger
    (UKPA) – 6 hours ago

Richard Hughes believes Canford Cliffs is a "different horse" as he counts down the hours to his bid for glory in Saturday’s StanJames.com 2000 Guineas.

The Richard Hannon-trained colt was sent off the 10-11 favourite on his seasonal debut in the Greenham Stakes at Newbury, but his dream return was scuppered by stablemate Dick Turpin who swooped late to win by half a length after Canford Cliffs drifted across the track under pressure.

Hughes told At The Races: "I think he will (get a mile). From day one we never really thought he was a sprinter so I’d be quite confident. It was the fastest Greenham on record. He just got tired and he needed the run to shake him up as he hadn’t run for such a long time – but he’s a different horse now."

Hughes was particularly thrilled by a piece of work with Stan Moore’s Prix de l’Abbaye winner Total Gallery last Sunday and expects Canford Cliffs to be back on top of his game.

"He went very well. It was the way he did it, before Newbury he needed a slap to go into his work but he was back to his old self," he explained.

"I just wheeled him out from behind and he took off like he was before the Coventry (at Royal Ascot). I was a bit worried before the Greenham as he had got very lazy at home but there are no signs of that now."

Canford Cliffs has been drawn in stall four and Hughes continued: "He tends to go left when he quickens. He changes his lead and he leads on that near-fore leg. He’s always done it, I don’t know why but I suppose he will go a little bit left when I quicken up so I’m better off drawn where I am."

Although Canford Cliffs made virtually all the running when winning the Coventry Stakes last year and when beaten in the Greenham, Hughes is planning take his time before making a challenge at Newmarket.

"He’s a much nicer horse when you get his head down in behind," he said. "We just wanted to find out in the Greenham, it was a only a trial, so he jumped and I just let him run along. I’ll be getting a lead on him on Saturday and if he settles that would be nice."

Although Hughes has opted to partner Canford Cliffs, he still has some words of encouragement for supporters of Dick Turpin, adding: "Dick Turpin is a very good horse. He was only beaten a few lengths in the Dewhurst and he ran flat. He was never on the bridle."

Copyright © 2010 The Press Association. All rights reserved.

• Total Posts 1982

Analysis

The stock of Megadlia d’Oro (Rachel Alexandra) continues to rise and

Al Zir

looks certain to compliment him further. Showed a good attitude when impressively landing his first two starts at Newmarket and Doncaster. Ridden with more restraint when third behind St Nicholas Abbey and Elusive Pimpernel in the Racing Post Trophy. Connections feel he could stay as far as twelve furlongs and one gets the impression that this big individual will also improve with time and an easier surface. Could be a leading player in top level ten furlong contests during the latter half of the season and sure to make up into a lovely 4YO.

Like his sire Alhaarth,

Awzaan

remained unbeaten during his juvenile season, culminating with a Group One success in the Middle Park. A very professional colt, he travels and quickens well off a strong pace. Considered to idle when hitting the front, Awzaan’s stamina has come under close scrutiny. His sires progeny have been competitive over a variety of trips and his dam successful over 5, 6 and 7 furlongs. His laid back nature gives him a chance of seeing out the trip and connections have confidently predicted that he will not finish outside the first four. His quick action is that of a sprinter and his small stature suggests that others may be open to more improvement.

Buzzword

mixed it with the best over 6, 7 and 8 furlongs last season, acquitting himself well on each occasion. Winner of the Prix La Rochette, he was also placed in the Solario, Richmond and Grand Criterium. He gave a good account of himself when fifth at the Breeders’ Cup from a wide draw and has since moved to the talented stable of Mahmood Al Zarooni. Hardened, tough and likable, he can belie his odds of 66/1 and run a big race. Sure to see out the trip well.

There’s no doubting the raw ability of

Canford Cliffs

. Won the Coventry Stakes in breath-taking fashion by 6L from Xtension. Would arguably still be unbeaten but for drifting left in France and at Newbury. The larger field and stronger pace are expected to suit and if he stays the mile, he should take all the beating. Richard Hughes – articulate and experienced – considers the son of Tagula to be the best he has ridden and connections remain bullish about his chances.

Greenham winner,

Dick Turpin

, lowered the colours of his better fancied stable companion at Newbury and should not be underestimated. Impressive winner of the Richmond at Goodwood and a valuable Sales race at Fairyhouse, he finished his juvenile campaign with a disappointing sixth in the Dewhurst. Although not bred to stay this trip – sire Group winner at 7F / dam maiden sprinter – and related to speedier sorts, he maintained his effort right to the line at Newbury and it certainly appears he could see out the extra furlong. Ryan Moore keeps the ride.

Elusive Pimpernel

was well beaten by St Nicholas Abbey in the Racing Post Trophy after snatching the Acomb on the line at York over 7 furlongs. Impressively landed the Craven on his reappearance after initially being outpaced when the race quickened. Doesn’t appear to possess an instant turn of foot, but is a really likable type who lengthens well and sticks his neck out. Has clearly trained on well, but St Nicholas Abbey won with such authority at Doncaster, it’s hard to see how Elusive Pimpernel can reverse that form. Performances and breeding suggest he should appreciate a step up in trip – sire also produced Ravens Pass, Quality Road and Smarty Jones , whilst his dam was winner over 12F and placed over 14F. Could find a few with too much toe.

Fencing Master

defied inexperience to beat more streetwise rivals when second in the Dewhurst on only his second start. His sire, Oratorio, ran a close fourth here and likewise when second at the Curragh. Related to some decent milers, he appears to be a most professional sort. Aiden O’Brien produced Footstepsinthesand to win this on only his third visit to the track and Fencing Master has the obvious credentials to run a big race.

Running eight times as a juvenile,

Hearts Of Fire

began his juvenile season with victory in the Brocklesby over five furlongs and finished it with a win in the Italian Grand Criterium over eight, landing an impressive hat-trick of foreign victories after successful visits to France and Germany. Has to improve on what he has achieved in this country, but his experience will stand him in good stead and he’s an interesting contender.

St Nicholas Abbey

deserves to be a short-priced favourite after his impressive Doncaster romp and he previously quickened twice to win the Beresford. Although Montjeau is generally renowned for producing top class middle distance performers, his dam is related to Starborough, who landed the Prix Jean-Prat and St James‘ Palace Stakes during his career. Aiden O’Brien has produced Henrythenavigator, George Washington and Footstepsinthesand to win on their seasonal debuts in recent years. Obvious chance.

Xtension

progressed smoothly last year and came so close to winning the Dewhurst after displaying an impressive turn of foot to land the Vintage at Goodwood. He did not appear to possess the scope of some as a 2YO, so encouraging to hear he has wintered well. An athletic individual with a solid attitude, Xtension should not be too far away at the finish and connections are bullish about his chances. Should improve for the extra furlong.

• Total Posts 1982

Conclusion

This promises to be an exceptional renewal of the first colts classic and I expect many winners to emerge from this contest during the season, several of whom have the ability to succeed at the highest level.

Pace in the race will be interesting. Al Zir will not be too far away, but Mark Johnston’s Greyfriarschorista made all to claim his three wins and Red Jazz led from start to finish in his Free Handicap victory. The pace should be decent, but not furious.

St Nichloas Abbey deserves his place at the head of the market and is a more obvious candidate for the Guineas / Derby double than Sea The Stars was at this stage last year, but there are plenty of talented colts in the race and he’s worth opposing. Only three winners from the previous ten renewals of the race had previously won over eight furlongs and, whilst his Racing Post demolition was ultra-impressive, the Doncaster contest is not exactly renowned for producing winners of this race.

His victories have come at the expense of horses who are bred or appear to want further, so the question is ‘How effective will his turn of foot be against speedier types?’

The likes of Canford Cliffs, Awzaan and Dick Turpin have top class form over sprint distances and it will be interesting to see how St Nicholas Abbey fares against them if they successfully tackle this trip.

Canford Cliffs will need to settle better, but he didn’t look to be stopping at Newbury and the conditions of this race will surely suit. He holds an ideal perch in stall four. Connections say their charge will be ’buried’ during the race. Speaking after his Coventry romp, jockey Richard Hughes said “He’ll get a mile no trouble. Just wait until I can get him in behind horses and you’ll see how good he is.”

It’s quite possible that we could see something special from him on Saturday.

In a race that could easily produce a winner of the July Cup or Epsom Derby, Xtension appears to possess the attributes of a natural miler. He maintains his effort right to the finish and has a strong turn of foot. He has reportedly wintered well and there should not be a lot to choose between him and Fencing Master on Dewhurst form. Preference is for the latter, who is open to greater improvement. Inexperience is a worry, though, with seven of the previous ten winners of the race having three or more runs.

An outsider with chance of making the frame is Buzzword. He may have a bit to find on his Dewhurst effort, but Delegator, Vital Equine, Snow Ridge and Zafeen have all been placed here in recent years after apparently having their limitations exposed in the Dewhurst. He was unlucky in the Richmond, Grand Criterium and at Santa Anita, but will stay the trip and has plenty of experience.

Al Zir is one to keep an eye on for the future. York is a track that should suit this horse and he looks an ideal type for the Dante.

I backed Dick Turpin at 20/1 before his fifth-placed effort in France last year, but his stablemate

Canford Cliffs

is my selection for the first classic of 2010. Fencing Master and Xtension the main dangers.

curragh
    • Total Posts 27

Might as well give my tuppence worth… Just what I think from what I have seen so far.

SNA should win the race if he is anything like the 2YO we saw at the backend last year. An earlier post made a great point about the Guineas winner needing to see out farther , well SNA is expected to be able to do that.
    I also like Fencingmaster. Lovely run in the Dewhurst and looks like one who has more to offer. Perhaps over a longer trip though.

Canford Cliffs will obviously be ridden differently than last time. Can’t ever see him getting more than a mile so, I don’t expect him to win. I expect him to be close too and to reverse the form with Dick Turpin.

I am looking forward to this race and feel the winner could be a very good horse (or colt if one wants to be pedantic).

• Total Posts 629

What effect will the draw have on this?

I read somewhere that before the victory of ‘Sea The Stars’ in last years race drawn (1)…

that the lowest draw to produce the winner in fields of 18+ was (12)…

newyork
    • Total Posts 215

Hopefully they wont split into 2 groups

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Who is this horse Makfi?

That’s a real good question and from what I can gather he was a Sheik reject sold off in early November last year without a race start. He is recorded as being sold for 26,000 gns at tattersalls on the 28th Oct ’09. Promptly stepped out a month later in France and saluted on debut. Returned with an easy win in the Djebel and should definitely get a mile. Closely related to Alhaarth, Aqaleem and the family of Authorized. There’s definitely a good background story behind this one.

My one problem with this fellow is his sire. Dad sure didn’t like the going hard and fast and both wins for Makfi have been on very soft ground. One to keep safe though.

Fryern
    • Total Posts 175

Hi newyork

They place the stalls off the rails so they will come down the middle – see video link

Looks like EP has a cracking draw same as Sea the Stars.

http://horses.sportinglife.com/Video/Ra … 92,00.html

Going currently Good to Firm – little rain forecast so they shouldn’t need to add any.

http://maps.turftrax.co.uk/latestgoingr … =newmarket

:D :D

bhigg27
    • Total Posts 107

I’m a Fencing Master fan. I saw him in the post race gallops at the Curragh recently and he looks like he has really developed physically over the Winter. He was a noteworthy second in the Dewhurst which was amazing given his inexperience. It’s debatable whether he’d have the sharpness to win the race but I’d rather be on him than SNA who is a ridiculous short price. He won a slowly run Racing Post trophy and is being over hyped by the Racing Media who are desperate for another STS.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I think the SNA Vs EP focus of this race is far more absurd than the Kauto Star Vs Denman publicity we saw recently. 2.36 at betfair has to be the worst value ever seen. SNA can win without me. He’s no Sea The Stars either.

I’m surprised more haven’t mentioned the horrible Guineas formguide that is the Racing Post Trophy. The bookies must be loving this narrow focus. I’ve seen many others race away with the RPT but I wouldn’t have backed any of them in the Guineas either.

Fryern
    • Total Posts 175

Chiswickian

I’m the only one promoting EP on here and have been for weeks. You could have had 33-1 or 25-1 and loads of 20-1.

Swifto

If you fancy Xtension then now is a good time. No run money back. Betfair go 27-1 and the others 20-1.

If you want to know how I would ratio the bet then it will have to be a private email. I’m not sure you can do that on here.

:D :D

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Xtension? You must be kidding. Fencing Master has him easily covered for mine. X gave FM a decent bump at the start in the Dewhurst then used him as a lead pony and still couldn’t get past. I could not have anything by Xaar in a fast ground 1600m Gr1 ever. Thanks for the offer though. :lol:

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I’d sooner back Awzaan. :shock:

Once upon a time there was a speedy undefeated filly named Attraction that started 11/2 in a Guineas because folks didn’t think she would stay. Hmm that story has a familiar sound to it. Mark Johnston strikes again?

Fryern
    • Total Posts 175

Hi Chiswickian,

Awzaan is EP’s pacemaker drawn 2. :wink:

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Get real both will take a sit behind Red Jazz and Canford Cliffs. Awzaan will definitely have cover but EP may face the breeze from one. :D

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

St Nicholas Abbey to win with some authority.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

The big question we all need to ask. Will the low draw speedsters provide a better lead than Greyfriarschorista/Viscount Nelson give those drawn in double figures? Can SNA win the race if his lead pony is lengths off the serious sustained speed on the other side of the track?

Viewing 17 posts - 392 through 408 (of 531 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.