The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

2000 Guineas 2010

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion 2000 Guineas 2010

Viewing 17 posts - 273 through 289 (of 531 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I’m on Hearts on Fire e/w at 33’s. I wouldn’t want to be on much else. Elusive Pimpernel is not gonna place. I wouldn’t be happy with SNA either, although i’m sure CC will run a blinder come the day.

Nick Baker
    • Total Posts 82

I think St Nicholas Abbey should win (if he turns up), but I was taken with the run of Elusive Pimpernel. What he beat, I don’t know and time will tell if the form is worth much, but I don’t see it being out of the 3. Of the rest, Johnston can’t be ignored and if he thinks Awzaan will stay, he has to be listened to. Attraction didn’t have the pedigree, but she did.
    Of the bigger priced animals, I quite like Xtension ew, but a lot can change between now and then.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

I still don’t think he’ll stay. Can’t work out why he went for the Middle Park instead of the Dewhurst.

It was a weaker race and they’ve bagged a Group 1. Hard pushed to suggest it was the wrong decision I’d say.

• Total Posts 1511

Stoute you rogue….Grinthorpe you rogue. Zacinto goes for a trial :D :D :D :D :D

Laughs all around

CC :D :D :D lAUGH

Aracano :D :D Lets all laugh at Meehan again.

John Dunlop and Aidan O Brien 8) 8)

Enjoy the match up

St Nicholas Abbey to win with not even a flick of the whip.

He should wipe this field…Montjeu or no Montjeu this horse is something.

Pedigree is a guideline but their is always a exception to the rule and me Thinks this Monster is

• Total Posts 140

My one concern with Elusive Pimpernel is that he only has 16 days to recover from the race. It’s the same with Canford Cliffs, he still ran a good time yesterday and is going to find it hard to produce another effort in 14 days time. I am not going to have a bet in the race, but I reckon one of the fresh horses will win.

• Total Posts 1046

Arcano non-runner. (Allegedly). (Please wait until race day to take action on this news).

Nick Baker
    • Total Posts 82

My one concern with Elusive Pimpernel is that he only has 16 days to recover from the race. It’s the same with Canford Cliffs, he still ran a good time yesterday and is going to find it hard to produce another effort in 14 days time. I am not going to have a bet in the race, but I reckon one of the fresh horses will win.

Haafhd and Kings Best both did it in fairly recent years and I’m guessing in years gone past, a trial was regarded as essential. While training methods have improved and horses are gotten fit at home and with racecourse gallops, it doesn’t mean they can’t win after running in one. Though in the case of Canford Cliffs, it probably won’t be running in the Greenham that stops him.

fintron
    • Total Posts 7

RE Arcano, yeah, they were not happy with Arcano’s run in the Greenham and say they think he needs a bit longer until his next run – confirmed on the RP.

I’m on St Nicholas Abbey and also Fencing Master. On his website last week O’Brien said he had been working well at home and he was second in the Dewhurst on his last start – placed Group form is better than some of those he could face in the day. He looks to have a nice pedigree to so could come into his own over a mile, dam was out of a French 1,000 Guineas winner. 16/1.

• Total Posts 629

Fin – what do you think to ‘Fencing’ being off the bit from the start?

Lack of experience – bad start or needing further already at that stage?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl2_dyvxLdw

I thought that he looked a bit big that day…

fintron
    • Total Posts 7

Fin – what do you think to ‘Fencing’ being off the bit from the start?

Lack of experience – bad start or needing further already at that stage?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl2_dyvxLdw

I thought that he looked a bit big that day…

Zenjah, yeah, I put it down to lack of experience, he ran very green in the Dewhurst, with a bad start like you say and having to be pushed along on the outside throughout. I just think that with natural progression (in one of the leading yards in Europe it has to be said) then he could have the beating of Beethoven, and on breeding he is likely to appreciate another furlong. I like the positive noises coming out of the yard (trainer said on his website he was working well) and I think if St Nicholas Abbey was to be beaten, then it would be having been tapped for toe, so if a ‘true’ miler was to win the race then it could be one like Fencing Master, or Hearts of Fire. I’m not keen on Canford Cliffs, Xtension or any of the other sprinters, as IMO the trip will prove their undoing.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Beethoven out. Slight setback.

• Total Posts 629

Fin: I like ‘Fencing’ believe that quite a lot had him down as one to follow (timeform made that note)
    Just question about whether the mile will be enough for him (maybe needed that trip in the Dewhurst) – Oratorio didn’t come into his own until he was stepped up another couple – might he be the same?
    Just throwing more thoughts out there…
    P.s. – you get 20’s at Tote! :o

(Not great picture quality)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY6HIVhx-ug

(Or this)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i2cJkIYWYw

• Total Posts 629

PPS:
    Interesting observations…thought he looked a wiry type in those gallops – not your normal big brute ie Dylan and the ones that you’ve mentioned… – I compared him to ‘Black Bear Island’ on looks – Wal who was there thought the Rip! :o

Galileo and Sadler’s Wells were both better known for their 10-12 furlong animals but both have proved themselves capable of throwing top class milers and Guineas performers e.g King Of Kings, Rip Van Winkle, New Approach, Refuse To Bend, Entrepreneur etc. To me SNA looks in every way a classy Sadler’s Wells horse rather than your typical Montjeu e.g Scoprpion, Hurricane Run etc who were both the typical big and imposing Montjeu types rather than the finer/narrower SNA.

fintron
    • Total Posts 7

Fin: I like ‘Fencing’ believe that quite a lot had him down as one to follow (timeform made that note)
    Just question about whether the mile will be enough for him (maybe needed that trip in the Dewhurst) – Oratorio didn’t come into his own until he was stepped up another couple – might he be the same?
    Just throwing more thoughts out there…
    P.s. – you get 20’s at Tote! :o

(Not great picture quality)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY6HIVhx-ug

(Or this)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i2cJkIYWYw

The stamina influence of the sire probably does point to him needing 1m 2f, yeah, but I am hoping a bit of pace will be injected in from the dam’s side. He is closely related to Maitre de Jeu, a dual 8f winner at 3 and there is a link to a French 1,000 Guineas winner on the dams side too.

Just to make my position clear, I think St Nicholas Abbey is the most likely winner and I think he has the speed to win the Guineas so have backed accordingly (on at 7/2 ante-post). However, with the race likely to cut up and with Beethoven the latest confirmed absentee from the race, I think the price on Fencing Master is good value each-way, and there should be trading opportunities on the win part of the bet nearer the day now O’Brien is likely to head to HQ triple handed – surely his outsiders will shorten up on the day (if they make it to Newmarket of course).

Fryern
    • Total Posts 175

Elusive Pimpernel is cracking ew value at 5-1.

Goes on the course – won twice over CD
    Likes the uphill finish
    Has overdrive
    Has matured over the winter
    Will have a fast pace
    Will probably beat SNA, if SNA runs

I been backing EP in from 25-1 and telling you.

If he’s still 5-1 once they go non anti-post I shall have a shed more ew.

I only bet occasionally but love beating the bookies. I just love the way they wrap big payouts!

:D :D

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Fryern, despite being a big ante-post (potential) winner on Elusive Pimpernel, you’re setting yourself up for a fall…

• Total Posts 1046

16/1 each for the Dewhurst placers, NRNB

if they’re working well, which I’ve no idea of, they’d be my play

Viewing 17 posts - 273 through 289 (of 531 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.