The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Zetland Gold Cup 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Zetland Gold Cup 2009

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Imo 2/1 is a daft price for Kingdom Of Fife on his achievements so far, and I’d take him on with Unbreak My Heart and Military Power.

Twinkle Twinkle
    • Total Posts 54

Military Power for me also, would have been interested in snoqualmie boy at a price with yard running into form but awful draw.

Would like to see Checklow run moderately here and turn up in the hunt cup at ascot at a price.

halfwaytoheaven
    • Total Posts 1387

If Checklow runs really well here Noseda has a problem.

Forgotten Voice or Checklow for the Hunt Cup? Or is this Checklows early season target?

I like Flipando and think he could go pretty well here. It’s a no bet race for me though

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I can remember this race being very popular when I was a kid along with the City and Suburban and a few others.

I take it that it’s the same Zetland Gold Cup…….just wondereing who or what is Zetland?

What will win? About the worst thing that can happen is your sure fire winner gets beat by a 25/1 no hoper like Kingdom of Fife did.

SMS would not be amused :lol:

Have a few quid on and hope he comes home in front this time although he looks a bit short. So I am doubling him up with a horse at Cartmel called Paradise Expected.

Few bob ew on Kay Gee Be and a RFC with Kingdom of Fife for luck.

Any winnings from the above will also be going on PE at Cartmel

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

Surely Zetland is Lord Zetland, the local bigwig, (ex?) Chairman of the racecourse etc.

Only just woken up, so I’m not sure whether I’ve already missed the race. Iliked a couple of horses from the Thirsk Hunt Cup when I looked at this a couple of days ago.

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

duplicate post.

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

Yes, I don’t understand why Flawed Genius is such a big price – he is only 4lbs higher than when winning the Thirsk Hunt Cup.

My guess before I google him would be that one of his ancestors was an admiral who beat the Dutch in a naval battle at somewhere called Zetland, although we haven’t been very good at beating the Dutch in naval battles over the centuries.

Done the googling. Zetland is an archaic spelling of Shetland. No naval battle.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

maybe the first races were for Shetland Ponies? You get quite a few of them in a Kindom of Fife :)

The Ante-Post King
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

maybe the first races were for Shetland Ponies? You get quite a few of them in a Kindom of Fife :)

Fighting talk! thats where I"m from! A stot af the pus fe you son! thats if ye fancy a square go, ken wat a mean? I am only joking!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

What’s the world coming to; when even Her Majesty has to lay one out? :shock: :lol:

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

Yes, she’s having a good old-fashioned tilt at the Royal Hunt Cup as well.

halfwaytoheaven
    • Total Posts 1387

She’s got a decent hand for Ascot this year hasnt she!

Free Agent, Enticement, Instalment, Kingdom of Fife and Full Toss all look Ascot bound.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.