The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Your Top Ten Most Annoying Presenters And Pundits

Home Forums Horse Racing Your Top Ten Most Annoying Presenters And Pundits

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Have to thank Ricky’s suggestion that I somehow viewed Matt Chapman as a ‘hero’ for this one. The late Lord Oaksey aside it would be an instant white coat job if was caught hero worshipping any of today’s motley crew.

Needless to say it was very difficult to confine it to just ten.

1. Willoughby
    2. McNae
    3. Luck
    4. Cunningham
    5. Balding
    6. Cooper
    7. Machin
    8. Hoiles
    9. Cattermole
    10. Yates

Concentrating on individuals hence the lack of Timeform bods who could easily be morphed into one.

• Total Posts 790

Rishi Persad would make it into mine along with Willie Carson if were including those not on screen anymore.

Peters
    Participant
    • Total Posts 68

Gina Bryce and Tanya Stevenson would have to be in my top ten most annoying!

Participant
    • Total Posts 6010

Given that you lot collectively seem to dislike every talking head on the racing progs wouldn’t it be more enlightening to have a poll entitled ‘Your Top Ten Least Annoying Presenters And Pundits? :roll:

everybody’s anodyne, in their own way

Participant
    • Total Posts 1229

What is about the human spirit that we are so willing to define ourselves by what we are against then what we are for? I feel this thread is a little overly negative.

SHL

Participant
    • Total Posts 1229

What is about the human spirit that we are so willing to define ourselves by what we are against then what we are for? I feel this thread is a little overly negative.

However it would still be Thommo, bless em! :)

SHL

Blocked
    • Total Posts 1667

1. Clare Balding
    2. Clare Balding
    3. Clare Balding
    4. Clare Balding
    5. Clare Balding
    6. Clare Balding
    7. Clare Balding
    8. Clare Balding
    9. Clare Balding
    10. Clare Balding

I really don’t get her appeal at all. What exactly are the remarkable qualities that make her so in demand? I hear "professionalism" bounded around which I can’t really argue with, although one would imagine that’s a pre-requisite attribute for being in front of a camera. All the same, her particular brand of "professionalism" is the absolute most mind numbing form of tedium. She even made the proclamation of a 100/1 shot winning the Grand National with the same enthusiasm as that robotic voice you get on trams reeling off the list of stops. Furthermore, I find it highly obnoxious of her to only cover meetings deemed sufficiently worthy of her talent and expertise.

She is utterly devoid of any tangible charisma and is one of several reasons why I’m a very grateful subscriber to RUK.

Incidentally, whilst I do find James Willoughby to be exceptionally condescending and obnoxious, I wouldn’t have him off the screens as the persona works for him.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33004

1. Clare Balding
    2. Clare Balding
    3. Clare Balding
    4. Clare Balding
    5. Clare Balding
    6. Clare Balding
    7. Clare Balding
    8. Clare Balding
    9. Clare Balding
    10. Clare Balding

I really don’t get her appeal at all. What exactly are the remarkable qualities that make her so in demand? I hear "professionalism" bounded around which I can’t really argue with, although one would imagine that’s a pre-requisite attribute for being in front of a camera. All the same, her particular brand of "professionalism" is the absolute most mind numbing form of tedium. She even made the proclamation of a 100/1 shot winning the Grand National with the same enthusiasm as that robotic voice you get on trams reeling off the list of stops. Furthermore, I find it highly obnoxious of her to only cover meetings deemed sufficiently worthy of her talent and expertise.

She is utterly devoid of any tangible charisma and is one of several reasons why I’m a very grateful subscriber to RUK.

For anyone with that much of a problem with one person that you don’t even know personally BH, may be it is "Cultural differences" rather than any specific trait she may possess. Do you come from an anti-gay, possibly Eastern European culture? Sometimes people think they’ve left cultural differences behind, not realising they’re at all homophobic, but barriers go up. Could it be you subconsciuosly don’t want to like Clare, therefore finding things wrong?

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33004

Given that you lot collectively seem to dislike every talking head on the racing progs wouldn’t it be more enlightening to have a poll entitled ‘Your Top Ten Least Annoying Presenters And Pundits? :roll:

everybody’s anodyne, in their own way

Agreed.

Value Is Everything
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 1667

1. Clare Balding
    2. Clare Balding
    3. Clare Balding
    4. Clare Balding
    5. Clare Balding
    6. Clare Balding
    7. Clare Balding
    8. Clare Balding
    9. Clare Balding
    10. Clare Balding

For anyone with that much of a problem with one person that you don’t even know personally BH, may be it is "Cultural differences" rather than any specific trait she may possess. Do you come from an anti-gay, possibly Eastern European culture? Sometimes people think they’ve left cultural differences behind, not realising they’re at all homophobic, but barriers go up. Could it be you subconsciuosly don’t want to like Clare, therefore finding things wrong?

I like you because you remind me of James Willoughby… or he reminds me of you… I can’t remember which.

I don’t necessarily dislike her, nor do I wish her any particular misfortune. The topic matter of this thread is a very subjective one and it just so happens that I find Clare Balding (the presenter) to be so tedious that nobody else on telly gets a look in. In my very personal and usually flawed opinion, she (the presenter) is the standard to which I measure tedium.

I can firmly rebut your insinuation that I dislike her due to her sexuality. Indeed, if that were the case then I would be an incredibly hypocritical homophobe.

I agree that prejudices prevail in pretty much every society on the planet. Not sure how that strengthens your argument though. Indeed, it probably weakens your stance since you’re arguing that the only reason I could possibly dislike her is because of her sexual preference when the truth is, her sexuality is

completely

irrelevant to how she performs her duties as a presenter.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

1. Clare Balding
    2. Clare Balding
    3. Clare Balding
    4. Clare Balding
    5. Clare Balding
    6. Clare Balding
    7. Clare Balding
    8. Clare Balding
    9. Clare Balding
    10. Clare Balding

I really don’t get her appeal at all.

Do you come from an anti-gay, possibly Eastern European culture?

Only you could come out with that one Ginge. :lol: You Muppet.
    It really has no bearing whatsoever on a Presenters Sexuality as to their ability to perform in front of a Camera.Well done

Bachelors Hall

for ‘Coming Out’ on what is a bit of a Macho Racing Forum too!
    Back to topic,I find C4’s Jim Mcgrath extremely condescending at times but my word its nothing to do with his Sexuality! :?

Participant
    • Total Posts 4712

I won’t go as far as a top ten, but the worst five are:

5. McGrath: boring, can barely keep his eyes open, flat voice.

4. Luck: looks like he fell into a cauldron of Mogadon as a baby.

3. Stevenson: reminds me of the old KitKat ad- you can’t sing; you can’t play; you look awful….. You’ll go a long way.

2. Cunningham: thinks he’s clever. He isn’t.

1. Persad: my problem isn’t with his "tokenism" but more that he isn’t even the most knowledgeable non-Caucasian out there. I could go into my local bookies’ and pluck ten better non-white racing experts from the throng

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2003

1. Willoughby
    2. McNae
    3. Luck
    4. Cunningham
    5. Balding
    6. Cooper
    7. Machin
    8. Hoiles
    9. Cattermole
    10. Yates

Concentrating on individuals hence the lack of Timeform bods who could easily be morphed into one.

No matter how hard you try, you’ll never exclude Sleepy Hollow Alumni. I count at least four Mafiosi on that list.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33004

1. Clare Balding
    2. Clare Balding
    3. Clare Balding
    4. Clare Balding
    5. Clare Balding
    6. Clare Balding
    7. Clare Balding
    8. Clare Balding
    9. Clare Balding
    10. Clare Balding

I like you because you remind me of James Willoughby… or he reminds me of you… I can’t remember which.

I don’t necessarily dislike her, nor do I wish her any particular misfortune. The topic matter of this thread is a very subjective one and it just so happens that I find Clare Balding (the presenter) to be so tedious that nobody else on telly gets a look in. In my very personal and usually flawed opinion, she (the presenter) is the standard to which I measure tedium.

I can firmly rebut your insinuation that I dislike her due to her sexuality. Indeed, if that were the case then I would be an incredibly hypocritical homophobe.

I agree that prejudices prevail in pretty much every society on the planet. Not sure how that strengthens your argument though. Indeed, it probably weakens your stance since you’re arguing that the only reason I could possibly dislike her is because of her sexual preference when the truth is, her sexuality is

completely

irrelevant to how she performs her duties as a presenter.

It wasn’t a statement BH, just a question on an observation. It is indeed not a suprise to see anyone "subjectively" give "reasons" for not liking how someone performed on TV. But making Clare numbers 1 through to 10 together with such a strongly worded criticism – did make me wonder if you had a chronic dislike of Miss B. Glad to hear that is not the case.

Of course was not suggesting you’d "wish her any particular misfortune", just that your culture may have subconsciously rubbed off just a little…

But from what you’ve now said BH, it seems as though you’re just one who exaggerates their own feelings; with no half measures.

Value Is Everything
    PRG
    • Total Posts 34

1. Clare Balding (this name keeps cropping up). Find her too OTT for programs and tries to get her strong personality over too much. For that reason on C4 racing she doesn’t blend in to the programme like someone with the right chemistry would do. Francome was perfect.

2. R. Pershad. Not sure what it is and find him boring, presenter manufactured.

3. Fitzgerald. Do like to hear the Irish voices when the racing is coming from Leopardstown etc, but find I just home in on his tones which are too strong for the C4 programme and becomes annoying.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

Some additions:

Angus McNae when he’s partnered with James Willoughby, they are so annoying its makes me want to scream
    Oli Bell, zzzzzzz personality of a lettuce
    Peter Naughton, always seems so false to me
    Emma Spencer, I know many people like her but I’ve never seen her appeal
    Zoe Bird, used to be good but have just gone off her recently, looks too clever

CrustyPatch
    Participant
    • Total Posts 921

I hear "professionalism" bounded around which I can’t really argue with, although one would imagine that’s a pre-requisite attribute for being in front of a camera. All the same, her particular brand of "professionalism" is the absolute most mind numbing form of tedium.

I had to smile at the bit saying that professionalism should be a pre-requisite for being in front of a camera.

Tanya Stevenson is making a very good living from being one of the most unprofessional, shambolic and tongue-tied presenters ever to disgrace a television screen.

I still fast-forward her virtually every time she is on. How anybody so lacking in what should be basic broadcasting skills got to become a presenter, I will never know.

She first got her break through the patronage of former Channel 4 racing boss Andrew Franklin. Why the new IMG regime kept her on, I have no idea. And for Tom Lee to be her stand-in still is equally baffling.

I haven’t got a problem with Rishi Persad at all now, Bachelors Hall will be pleased to know after our unfortunate exchanges on this forum a couple of years ago.

I also like Graham Cunningham now, again despite my original misgivings, and continue to admire Clare Balding for her, er, highly professional efforts.

Her versatility, authoritative approach, fluency and agility of mind continue to impress me. Having said that, she seemed to be on screen for surprisingly short periods of time during the Cheltenham trials day coverage. A relief for many, no doubt.

Most of the really irritating presenters, such as Big Mac, John Francome and Tommo, have now largely disappeared from our screens.

Emma Spencer and Gina Bryce do a good job as far as I am concerned. I’m less keen on Alice Plunkett, especially when she prefixes everything with "listen…", but she merits a place on the team.

The biggest problem with Channel 4 is that it has become much more bland but the overall irritability factor of the individual presenters has lessened.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.