The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Your Favourite Jump Horses Ever? ? ?

Home Forums Horse Racing Your Favourite Jump Horses Ever? ? ?

Viewing 17 posts - 222 through 238 (of 242 total)
  • Author
    Imperialcall
    • Total Posts 21

Glenugie – Had my first proper bet on this one when I was there at Carlisle on my 18th birthday. Stood out a mile in the parade ring and duly romped home.

Nijway – Won at 20/1 on one of the first times I went racing, someone napped it in the Sporting Life selection box.

Garrison Savannah – 1st time I was interested in the Grand National.

Inglis Drever – Have been at Cheltenham for all 3 of his Stayers Hurdle wins.

Florida Pearl – Had plenty of money on each way when he came 2nd to First Gold in the King George.

Barton – Won loads of good races.

• Total Posts 433

has to be arkle, dawn run, redrum and freddie.

johncoffee
    • Total Posts 16

inglis drever, monster. will win again at cheltenham if entered

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Master Minded

Spitfire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 184

Sabin Du Loir and Beau Ranger[/color:3ncqbit1]

These two were magnificent animals and hold lots of good memories for me, if the premier jump distance was 2 1/2 miles these were the cream especially Sabin. I seem to remember both of these animals running in the champion chase and running creditably over an inadequate trip, real brave brave efforts they were and great memories for me.

How many times did Sabin meet Dessie and how many times did he come out on top???

This is not a dig at Dessie becuse I loved that superbly efficient jumping machine.

• Total Posts 203

Kauto Star.

Without question, I adore the ground that horse walks on. He has got me out of trouble so many times I would say he is the only horse I could have a bet on, in any race, and be confident in my bet. So versatile,so classy and such a lovely looking horse! I have a picture of him on my wall in my room which cost me £250. When Kauto retires they should have a package where you can go and meet him. I would pay a fortune to!

Also

Inglis Drever (Love the fact he hits the flat spot and then shoots up the hill at cheltenham)

Participant
    • Total Posts 730

Sabin Du Loir and Beau Ranger[/color:t72m3nyq]

These two were magnificent animals and hold lots of good memories for me, if the premier jump distance was 2 1/2 miles these were the cream especially Sabin. I seem to remember both of these animals running in the champion chase and running creditably over an inadequate trip, real brave brave efforts they were and great memories for me.

How many times did Sabin meet Dessie and how many times did he come out on top???

This is not a dig at Dessie becuse I loved that superbly efficient jumping machine.

Weird, they were two of the horses I immediately thought of when I first saw the thread. Totally agree, Beau Ranger placed in both a Champion Chase and Gold Cup I think. And both horses with white blazes, both fantastic servants to the Kilpatricks/Whites. Must have been a real pleasure to own.
    Another few favourites are Kribensis – always felt he was underrated, and barring injury could/should have won more than 1 Champion.
    Unfuwain, Nashwan, Blazing Walker,

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9289

Sabin du Loir; my favourite horse name ever…we had a French student staying with us who spoke very little English and, as my French isn’t up to much everything felt rather awkward..one day I tried to explain to her that there was this horse with a name that I loved so much I used to say it to myself, and did she know what it meant, or, if it was a place where was it..I didn’t think she’s understood me but, a few hours later she said that there was an English phrase that she felt the same way about and it was ‘All things change’…after that we were the best of friends and, even though we didn’t understand each others language we understood each other. I wrote to the Pipes after he retired to wish the horse a happy retirement and told them my rather silly story..Mrs. Pipe replied ‘many thanks for your kind letter concerning Sabin du Loir..he has been such a lovely horse to train, giving us a lot of pleasure, winning or losing..it was nice to find a common interest witht he French student..horses have no language barrier and bring out the best in everyone’..I seem to remember Scu saying at the time that he was the best horse he had ever ridden.

BennyB
    • Total Posts 235

Viking Flagship every time. Probably not as naturally gifted as his peers (Martha’s Son, Deep Sensation, Travado et al), but had the heart of a lion and outbattled them consistently. The Melling Chase in 95 (I think) was one of the best finishes ever.

I was privileged enough to ride out for the Duke in my teenage years, and although I never rode Flagship, I did sit on him once – a very proud moment.

In Adrian Maguire’s book he says that if he could come back as any creature, he would come back as Viking Flagship.

A true legend.

bbobbell
    • Total Posts 591

I was re-reading my copy of "Tom Dreaper & His Horses" by Bryony Fuller last night and thought it appropriate to add the name of Fortria to this thread.

Two Queen Mothers; an Arkle; two Mackesons off 12 stone (split by a runners up berth for good measure in 1961); an Irish Grand National also off 12 stone; and runner up twice in the Gold Cup to such equine luminaries as Mandarin and the mighty Mill House.

Like most of Fortina’s (ironically the only entire ever to win the Blue Riband) progeny he probably didn’t stay a truly run Gold Cup (especially against Fulke Walwyn’s massive relentless galloper in 1963) but he heroically gave his all trying.

Like several Greenougue inmates of that era, his achievements have been overlooked due to the complete dominance of Arkle. Fortria was in his own right a seriously top class steeplechaser.

I bought a copy of that at Detling Point to Point for a tenner Firefox and they mentioned Royal Approach who won the Irish National in 1954, got injured during the summer and never got right again. It was said he was brilliant. No one ever seems to mention Arkle’s contemporary Flyingbolt who ended up with Ken Oliver at Hawick. He won the 1965 Queen Mother Chase on the Tuesday and the following day almost won the Champion Hurdle, finish a close third to Salmon Spray.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Viking Flagship every time. Probably not as naturally gifted as his peers (Martha’s Son, Deep Sensation, Travado et al), but had the heart of a lion and outbattled them consistently.

I would have thought he had more natural talent than Deep Sensation (certainly) and Travado (probably), BennyB. He was a cracking little animal.

BennyB
    • Total Posts 235

Firefox – no comment!

Grass – I thought Deep Sensation was probably the most naturally gifted, but had a slightly iffy tendency to not put the full effort in (I thought he used to dog it when he got to the front).

Reference Point
    • Total Posts 27

Bregawn….

nuff said.

I absolutely loved that horse..

Participant
    • Total Posts 20

Hi guys.

Which are your favourite jump horses ever? ? ?

Istabraq has to be up there for me, along with Best Mate.

Now a days, my favourite horse by a long, long way is My Way De Solzen.

Thanks.

It has to be Dessie for me, im a sucker for the greys, but he has such courage and the way he stood off at his fences, He put in some of the most spectacular leaps ive ever seen. Nowadays Denman and Kauto and good old War of Attrition, such a cool name, glad to see him back

Spitfire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 184

Yes Dessie was an incredibly efficient accurate jumper and he never wasted time in the air, gained a length at every fence when going right handed, none of those Fondmort style leaps that would cost you a length. That was why it was unbelievable when he fell that time at Liverpool.

Participant
    • Total Posts 650

Grey Dolphin (natch!), See More Business, Desert Orchid, Durham Edition, Wayward Lad, The Mighty Mac, Ei Ei, Material World, Florida Pearl would be a few of my favourites.

batman
    • Total Posts 489

Have to say i am bit shocked espes from the Irish folks on here that LIMESTONE LAD has not got that many mentions his stats are….

HURDLE: 55 RUNS 31 wins 11 2nd’s 4 3rd’s

CHASE: 6 RUNS 4 wins 1 2nd

FLAT: 4 RUNS 0 wins 1 2nd 2 3rd’s

He has to be one of the most genuine honest hardest working Horse’s of all time, its just sad he never got the ground he thrived on at the festival what a servant………

Viewing 17 posts - 222 through 238 (of 242 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.