The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

You can be a jockey for one race…

Home Forums Horse Racing You can be a jockey for one race…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8979

….and you can go back in time too.

What horse would you ride and in which race?

freeradical
    • Total Posts 336

Wouldn’t be an obvious choice but:

Fame and Glory, 2009 Irish Derby

RedRum77
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1535

The wooden horse that the Greeks got into Troy with. Its the only one that’ll support my weight. :lol:

Miss Woodford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1335

Secretariat.

1973 Belmont Stakes.

KINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1508

Thats an easy one for me,

Dancing Brave

in the 1986 Derby,i would have won by 2 lengths easily. Prince Khaled would have given me a retainer and i would go on to win the 1987 2000gns on

Bellotto

and

Exbourne

in the 89 race! :twisted:

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4704

Secretariat.

1973 Belmont Stakes.

Cormack said you’re allowed to ride a horse, not an aeroplane.

For very positive and emotional reasons, Zarkava in the Arc.

For very negative reasons cos the jockey gave her a shocker, Wonder of Wonders in this year’s Oaks.

Lone Wolf
    • Total Posts 614

First race i thought of was Cigar in the 95 BC Classic !

Bachelors Hall
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1598

If I could go back and change anything, I would have taken Valiramix out wide in the 2002 Champion Hurdle :(

It would’ve been sweet to ride Jair du Cochet in the 2004 Gold Cup of which I’m still convinced he would’ve hacked up in.

Otherwise, I doubt anything could top the thrill of letting Big Bucks carry you up the Cheltenham hill during the festival.

Hawk
    Participant
    • Total Posts 18

If we are talking turnovers… Then I would have wished to ride Wayward Lad to beat Dawn run in the ’86 Gold cup.

Otherwise I would have loved to be on Dancing Brave in the Arc…

Hawk

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

The young lad’s toy in the "The Rocking Horse Winner" which is about the level of this discussion. :roll:
    http://www.ovguide.com/movies_tv/the_rocking_horse_winner_1949.htm

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8979

Away and boil yer heid RH you old grouch!

For me Arazi’s Breeders Cup must have been a pretty thrilling moment for the jockey.

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5503

Anyolnag W/O

reetlass
    • Total Posts 433

Sorry I can’t remember which race it was, but I’d love to have been aboard Dessie when he took off outside the wing of the jump. Nearest thing to flying with a horse that I remember :)

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

Id like to have been riding EiEi in his last race, then I could have pulled him up at half way and told the trainer he had done enough already for the year

RedRum77
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1535

If I’d rode Cheers in the 1977 grand national (finished last) I’d have pulled it up. To this day I’m convinced she only rode it to a finish because she was a woman and wanted to prove something.

JJMSports
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2033

Denman Gold Cup 2008.

On a curious note, wonder what a feeling it was to have ridden Frankel in the Guineas.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

Id like to have been riding EiEi in his last race, then I could have pulled him up at half way and told the trainer he had done enough already for the year

Fatigue and / or the rigours of his recent itinerary did not kill Ei Ei – remember that he was a distance clear and about to win at his leisure when taking his fatal final-flight fall.

The race he was killed in, a 2m3.5f Market Rasen handicap hurdle in early June 2004, constituted just his ninth start of the calendar year – exactly as the corresponding race had done 12 months earlier.

That’s not the most excessive campaigning by Michael Chapman’s standards – compare this with, for example, Feeling Peckish’s 12 outings by the same race-week this year.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.