The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Yorkshire Ebor Festival

Home Forums Horse Racing Yorkshire Ebor Festival

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    dwise53
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2

Prize Money
    The 2019 Ebor festival saw Mustajeer winning the £1m prize to become the first horse to win the handicap on the flat in Britain. However this year, the 2020 event is going to have a much lower priced money because the York racecourse made a 50% reduction in its price money due to a loss of 80% of its normal annual revenue, which comes from attendance of events and race meetings at the racecourse.

:cry: sign of the times we are in….

isinglassisinglass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 372

“sign of the times” ………..

…… better relates to the fact some fool suggested throwing a million pounds at a heritage handicap and some bigger fool(s) agreed to it.

Result …… 22 runner handicap with a weight range of only 9 lbs. Very exciting – not really.
    If it were to continue it’ll just become a consolation race for horses just below top class owned by the usual suspects who have ample opportunities at all the festivals during the season.

2019 – £600k goes to a horse thats then bought and sent to Australia so nobody here will ever hear of it again.
    Unless it wins that cup race ITV & Francesca are forever banging on about , like anybody really cares.

Stupid idea, and I’m a York boy.

Venture to CognacVenture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17534

Completely agree Isinglass, it was completely unnecessary, no idea what they were thinking.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3089

A gloomy update from the ROA arrived in my inbox this morning, which included the following one liner from the BHA Chief Medical Officer:

“Behind closed doors restrictions likely to remain in place for foreseeable future”

A wonderfully vague prediction, included in amongst a lot of waffle that suggests the BHA have swallowed the ‘second wave’ panic wholesale.

Here’s one owner that won’t be going racing while these restrictions are enforced, and if the situation hasn’t changed considerably by the end of the year, my contribution as an owner will also come to an end.

robnorthrobnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4580

Presumably because there’s more tax money for the government if people are allowed to go on the p***. But, as Aberdeen and presumably a few places have shown, once you let people off the leash then we end up heading back to square one. I suspect racing authorities might have to continue to do things ‘safely’ and bide their time.

GladiateurGladiateur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1266

When did this stop being a “meeting” and become a “festival”?

Linguistic inflation strikes again. :negative:

DroneDrone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5112

When did this stop being a “meeting” and become a “festival”?

When the dubious decisions were made to extend it to four days and move the Ebor itself to a Saturday: dilution of quality and the once-hallowed Ebor Wednesday just another weekend piss-up

Next week will, like earlier ‘festivals’ this Flat season, be a ‘Meeting’ in the original sense of the word: horses and connections only, no hoi polloi :yes:

We’ll meet agin, don’t know where, don’t know when :negative:

isinglassisinglass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 372

When the dubious decisions were made to extend it to four days and move the Ebor itself to a Saturday: dilution of quality and the once-hallowed Ebor Wednesday just another weekend piss-up.

Thanks Drone, saved me a lot of typing there.

I.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.