The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Yellowstone

Home Forums Horse Racing Yellowstone

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    benbdb
    • Total Posts 164

Does anyone else think it is a little odd that this horse has ran unsuccessfully in group 1 company over 8, 10 and 12 furlongs and is now being aimed at a ledger trial?

It might just be me but I got the impression that the horse just isnt good enough from his previous few runs, not that he needed further. A case of not really knowing the horses best trip or just trying to fluke a race on O’Briens part?

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

He is also entered in the Gr3 Meld Stakes at Leopardstwon on Saturday night over 10f.

benbdb
    • Total Posts 164

Yeah but O’Brien said today the plan is to run him at Goodwood in the Ledger trial.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Ledger or Leger? Grrrr :evil:

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17718

Does anyone else think it is a little odd that this horse has ran unsuccessfully in group 1 company over 8, 10 and 12 furlongs and is now being aimed at a ledger trial?

It might just be me but I got the impression that the horse just isnt good enough from his previous few runs, not that he needed further. A case of not really knowing the horses best trip or just trying to fluke a race on O’Briens part?

Any 2yo that makes its debut in July over 1m is almost certainly seen as a staying prospect.
    When a horse lacks a turn of foot as he does, surely his best options are against similar types, particularly in lower class races?

benbdb
    • Total Posts 164

I’d agree with the lower class races part. my question is if he is a stayer why put him in the eclipse? ok you have a bash at the derby just in case but why then step him back in trip? from what I’ve seen of him he doesnt look like he wants a lot further just that he isn’t good enough for pattern races on the whole.

I could be wrong I guess, I was just interested to see what other peoples thoughts. Its a good point re. debut, just seems to have been oddly campaigned to me. Its like the precise opposite to what they do with their best horses, instead of hiding them to maintain the hype they are just racing him here there and everywhere in the hope he flukes a black type win.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

Maybe they’re looking to pick up a nice little Group 3 with him to increase his value for when they sell him on :)

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17718

Benbdb

The only reason he ran in the Eclipse was as pacemaker/spoiler for George Washington. That he picked up fourth place is a reflection on the way the race was run, not on his 10f ability.
    Imo, all of his form points to him needing at least 12f.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Its like the precise opposite to what they do with their best horses, instead of hiding them to maintain the hype …

Which horses?

newyork
    • Total Posts 215

They learned there lesson at Ballydoyle after one cool cat they no longer hype there horses up now.

benbdb
    • Total Posts 164

Actually yes on a rethink you are right it is not something they appear to do. I’ve never really thought about it as such but it is just subconcious thing from reading it so often. Thank you for your corrections.

benbdb
    • Total Posts 164

I guess I stand corrected on that one, felt aqaleem was a little unlucky though.

Anzum
    • Total Posts 256

I may be talking through my pocket a little here, but I thought the ride given to Aqaleem was awful and I can’t understand the total absolving of the blame on Richard Hills part by the channel four pundits.

class tells
    • Total Posts 207

tabor at the meeting and it takes something like that to get yellowstone home i want a rematch

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

I didn’t think the race suited Aqaleem, it certainly suited Yellowstone more. There wasn’t a lot of pace and they all quickened and it turned into a speed race. Aqaleem will be suited by more of a stamina test an end to end gallop and / or a further trip. I thought he ran a good race bearing in mind it wasn’t one run to bring out stamina. Yellowstone has good form at ten furlongs and his extra bit of speed was invaluable today.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.