The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Would Dettori EVER be Coolmore’s number one jockey ?

Home Forums Horse Racing Would Dettori EVER be Coolmore’s number one jockey ?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    dostoy
    • Total Posts 23

If Johnny Murtagh got the sack or left his job for whatever reason, would Dettori get or even want the job ?

Dettori must be sick of Godolphin being nowhere near as successful as they have been, might he be tempted.

I can see Murtagh having his job for a long time and it is the number one job no doubt about it.

What do you think ?

Peter Poston’s Ghost
    Participant
    • Total Posts 548

It’s a dream job sure enough but it must be terribly hard on the man in posession of it.

I thought that Murtagh’s riding and demeanour deteriorated markedly at the back end of last season. After charging all round Europe and the US (sometimes) riding top horses in Group 1’s virtually every week the pressure must get to anyone after a while.
    It certainly got to Fallon and I don’t think Kinane was heartbroken to leave.

Dettori would neither get nor want it. Too much has been said between the two parties for that to happen and it’s too much like hard work to Frankie who likes to spend time with his family.

If anything was to happen to JPM in the next year or two, my money would be on Fallon to return to the job. For the future, I think Ryan Moore would be favourite to get it long term or, as an outsider, maybe Christophe Soumillon.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

I would have thought that Dettori is thinking of retirement.

Colin

Goldikova
    • Total Posts 1537

Peter Postons Ghost, can you explain why you think Murtaghs riding ability deteriorated at the end ofd last season ? I’m not challenging your claims as such, but it should be remembered that horses tire aswell.

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Septimus and Soldier of Fortune in the Melbourne Cup and BC Turf.

Peter Poston’s Ghost
    Participant
    • Total Posts 548

Peter Postons Ghost, can you explain why you think Murtaghs riding ability deteriorated at the end ofd last season ? I’m not challenging your claims as such, but it should be remembered that horses tire aswell.

Murtagh hardly put a foot wrong during the greater part of the summer, being in the right place at the right time in almost every big race and showing a superb will to win. However, as autumn came he appeared to me to get more irritable with the press (sometimes without much reason) and looked to me to have "hit the wall".
    He slipped from his own high standards during the Arc meeting (IMO) and particularly during the BC.
    I know that the horses tire :roll: but to win at the highest level they need the pilot to be on top of his game also and (IMO) Murtagh wasn’t.
    He rode some superb races last season but very few of them late on in the season.

Goldikova
    • Total Posts 1537

Johnny Murtagh was on Duke Of Marmalade for the Arc, and that was the horses 6th run of the season. Every horse that finished in front of him had at least 2 runs less up until the point of the Arc…It was Ask’s 4th run, Vision D’etats 3rd, Soldier of Fortunes 3rd, i dunno about Ginos but it was Youmzains 4th.

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Zarkava – 4
    Youmzain – 4
    Soldier of Fortune – 2
    It’s Gino – 5
    Vision D’Etat – 4
    Ask – 4
    Duke of Marmalade – 5

But Dettori IMO just isn’t that great. Phenomenal from the front, but simply not strong enough in a finish nor does he have enough dimensions.

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

Dettori is as good as any jockey in the world. Does he care as much these days? No, but as a talent he’s still right up there with the very best. He wouldn’t even want the job. Been there, seen it…has alot of money.

I’ve backed him a few times recently and I can honestly say he’s as good as ever and still gets the very best out of 98% of what he sits on.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Dettori can and does just pick and choose what he rides now. He has nothing left to prove and his priorities are different than they once were.

I think the defining moment in his life was the plane crash which really hammered home what his priorities are and who can blame him for that?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Entirely agree Paul.

Listening to Steve Cauthen the other day he mentioned Frankie saying like he has, he got to the stage where chasing titles or riding in a Hamilton seller just does nothing for him.

The talent is obviously still there but to get Frankie geed up and raring to go these days you would neeed to be offerning him a ride on Sea the Stars.

He could be top jockey for any yard in the world and riding AOB supertars and nothing else would probably be right up his street.

Of course it will never happen as Murtagh is doing a good job.

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Aidan O’Brien would rather have Luke Harvey as his number one stable jockey than employ Frankie Dettori. :roll:

Dettori has lost all motivation for the game.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

dostoy
    • Total Posts 23

The question really is would AOB want Dettori and would Dettori want the job IF IF IF it ever came up which it probably won’t.

It would mean Dettori having to explain to Sheik Mo that he wants to be a member of the opposition.

dan de man
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8

think he would have to change his name to frances de tory to be sure to be sure

Beeswing
    • Total Posts 80

dont you have to be irish to be Coolmore’s ‘no.1’?

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Don’t think Dettori will ever ride for Ballydoyle again after the Scorpion win.

Seagull
    • Total Posts 1708

According to someone who knows Ryan Moore very well he was approached by reps from Coolmore during the time Sir Michael Stoute was undecided as to who was going to be his stable jockey.

Once Sir M. Stoute leaned of this he quickly made his mind up to get Ryan to sign up on the dotted line.

Moore is happilly settled down in Suffolk with his partner and 1 year old son Toby so even if he lost the Stoute job I doubt if moving to Ireland would interest him much.

As for Frankie moving to Ireland again I think his settled family life would mean that he would be more likely to retire than accept any job with Coolmore.
    If howver he did go those ‘flying dismounts’ would be a thing of the past!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.