The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

World Record paid for horse at Auction

Home Forums Archive Topics World Record paid for horse at Auction

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    pengamon
    • Total Posts 226

Forestry colt. $425,000 as a yearling-now $16 Million :o

at the Fasig-Tipton 2 year old sale. He worked 1/8 mile in 9 4/5 seconds.

Looks like he’ll be trained by either Todd Pletcher or Patrick Biancone

I hate these sales and under tack shows in the US. Seen many horses break down working the day before the Keeneland April sale.

Gigginstown Man
    • Total Posts 84

Would AP o’brien not be  a  better choice for trainer or is he a dirt horse??<br>

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Surely the $13.1m paid for Seattle Dancer back in 1985 is more impressive due to the time value of money.

In 1988 (the furthest the RP results database goes), the owners of Kahyasi received £296,500 for winning the Derby while the Royal Ascot Racing Club received £725K for Motivator’s win in 2005.

Call me when somebody pays > £30m for a colt OK :biggrin:

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

That was in a bloodstock boom David.

Remember a story from the same time about a yearling selling for $800,000 but it had to go through the ring again due to them not notifying the auctioneer of his dodgy x-rays on his legs (ie. he’d likely be unsound) he made upwards of $1.5m on resale.  Was crazy time apparently.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3106

<br>A furlong in 9.8 seconds!

Does anybody actually believe any thoroughred could do that, let alone an immature 2-y-old?

AP

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Quote: from apracing on 2:33 pm on Mar. 1, 2006[br]<br>A furlong in 9.8 seconds!

Does anybody actually believe any thoroughred could do that, let alone an immature 2-y-old?

AP

If that was a timing error, I wouldn’t like to be the one that has to tell Magnier. They should get Alex Ferguson to tell him if that’s the case.

rory

I appreciate your point but $16m in today’s money still doesn’t compare to $13.1m in 1985. $16m to Magnier et al today doesn’t make anything like the dent in his pocket that $13.1m made in 1985. It’s all relative.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

Quote: from apracing on 2:33 pm on Mar. 1, 2006[br]<br>A furlong in 9.8 seconds!

AP <br>

I wouldn’t worry AP, they like there 3f sprinters in the US.

pengamon
    • Total Posts 226

AP <br>

<br>I’ve seen a lot of horses go 1/4 mile under 20.5 at the April pre-sale workouts before the Keeneland sale and have seen a few go so 20 seconds for 1/4 and under 10 for a furlong.

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8799

The Magnier gang certainly know what they are doing so I’d suspect that the horse has a better chance than most of making the grade although they will know better than any of us what the attrition rate among highly priced unraced juveniles is.

I was surprised to see the furlong time but I guess it is relative and dependant on the surface and conditions, weight carried, etc.  How the time taken to travel one furlong in such artificial conditions relates to the horses potential ability over further (and I’m sure they’ll be looking for it to stay at least a mile) I wouldn’t know but it’s one hell of a bold move and my only wish is that I had $16 million to spend!

Good luck to them with it.

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

This fellow will be hard pressed to get a mile, and they have wasted their money. They’re really gambling on him winning a couple of Group 1s to get their money back – not very likely.

Blasting a furlong in less than 10 seconds may well also leave a physical mark on him. I forecast a 4 race career.

bellewstown
    • Total Posts 17

I fully agree Venusian.  The price was crazy.  Making a two year old run at that pace at this time of the year is more likely to ruin it than anything else.<br>Only real two year old types are suitable for breezing, and they rarely continue to improve. <br>Total waste of money, ego and sales ring adrenaline gane mad.

ToneLoc
    • Total Posts 101

After reading your comments I’m glad I was outbid. :cool:

schumi
    • Total Posts 166

ah but when you have so much i’d imagine $16 million is like a poor basta*d like me putting half a weeks wages on another loser. best of luck to them with him. i was interested to read views on who’s gonna train it already how can you know? 1f in 9.8 seconds did he wear a red cape?

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

Obviously the main aim is to establish this son of Forestry as a world class sire, and as such any plans surrounding his future have been made with a view to the future (rather than trying to return their money quickly). But I wonder if they would have been so keen to get their hands on him, at least at that sort of price, had Sheikh Mohammed not shown so much interest.

(Edited by LetsGetRacing at 2:36 am on Mar. 2, 2006)

jackane24
    • Total Posts 444

Particularily after Sheikh Mohammed outbid Magnier last year at the Keenland September Sale, with $9.7m.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.