The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

World Hurdle 2010

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion World Hurdle 2010

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 284 total)
  • Author
    Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3177

Anyone any early thoughts on this one?

It’s the new jumps season and my AP selection Portal’s Toy has just made a winning comeback over fences at Enghien – expecting him to come over at some point as it’s been mooted by both his trainer and his regular jockey in the spring. Should run in the Grand-Steeplechase De Enghien and the Prix D’Automne before then though.

Massive price at the min but I’m confident the gamble will pay off <!– s:) –>:)<!– s:) –>

andrewhill343
    Participant
    • Total Posts 192

One horse that’s caught my eye in the last couple of months is Fingers. Although a seven year old, has very few miles on the clock and could improve enough to give most animals something to think about.

Not sure what distance will eventually suit him as he’s been over 2m, 2m4f and been very impressive on the flat in between, most recently turning the tables on Zaralabad.

His victory over 2m4f in july (his only attempt at the trip) left me thinking he would improve for another step up, maybe angling towards the World hurdle. Dont think for a minute he could win it btw but might be another Powerstation.

Like I said, not sure what trip his owner/trainer will settle on…. could be just another Catch Me.

Any long range thoughts as stupid as mine out there, I love the Irish racing this time of year. Seems to be where the most value comes from.

Imperial Call
    • Total Posts 2184

Does anyone know if Karabak is staying over hurdles? Gaz?

The 14/1 about him for this race interests me. He looked crying out for 3 miles in the Ballymore and currently most of the horses listed above him on oddschecker are either going chasing or will more than likely go for the Champion Hurdle.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

The only horse who might trouble Big Bucks is Solwhit, imo.

If Charles Byrnes horse sees only the rear-end of Hurricane Fly in their first meeting (hopefully the Maplewood/Morgiana – anyone heard anything?), then his target might potentially be switched to the Stayers.

Failing that, I won’t be looking to find one to beat the jolly – he’s as rock-solid as they come, imo. I am considering taking on Master Minded, however. :shock:

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

Would largely agree with Grass, it wouldn’t surprise me one iota if Big Buck’s was the second most talented horse in the Nicholls yard behind Kauto. The only horse to live with him over hurdles last year was Punchestowns, a rare talent himself, and he’s likely to go chasing IIRC.

Roddy Owen
    Participant
    • Total Posts 441

Only problem with the peerless Big Bucks is I won`t be getting the 6/1 I got last year. I think this year it will be a reverse drift in the price from here on in. Although agree if Solwhit is there it would be a good forecast. Nicholls rates BB very ,very highly,always has.

The Ante-Post King
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Big Bucks will be tried over fences again,if he gets his jumping together it wont be the Stayers he runs in!

thehorsesmouth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5552

It’s difficult to see what might beat Big Bucks, I thought Mighty Man would to it at Aintree but even there Big Bucks had his measure. Solwhit is not a 3 miler.

If either of the Mullin’s pair of Fiveforthree or Mikael D’Haguenet stayed over hurdles they might push him hardest.

Rendons Grace would be interesting if he came over.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3177

Rendon’s is the other horse I’ve backed for the race – be more interested in him if he goes over fences (same with Rock Noir)

The Ante-Post King
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

I would like to see

ZAYNAR

take the 3m route this year as i dont think he is speedy enough for the Champion hurdle!

Roddy Owen
    Participant
    • Total Posts 441

Big Bucks will be tried over fences again,if he gets his jumping together it wont be the Stayers he runs in!

His jumping will be fine but they have the other races covered anyway. One day he will win a gold cup but not this season imo.

The Ante-Post King
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

His jumping will be fine but they have the other races covered anyway. One day he will win a gold cup but not this season imo.

I like your confidence Roddy regarding Big Bucks jumping!Personally i believe a horse is a natural jumper or he"s not.
    Thats why i wouldn"t back him for the Gold Cup! Lovely horse though and the Stewart family would love to win the Gold Cup.
    Plenty 25/1 available!!

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

Does anyone know if Karabak is staying over hurdles? Gaz?

The 14/1 about him for this race interests me. He looked crying out for 3 miles in the Ballymore and currently most of the horses listed above him on oddschecker are either going chasing or will more than likely go for the Champion Hurdle.

It is hoped by Alan King that the finish of the World Hurdle will be fought out by Karabak and Katchit.

This seems to put King in the same camp as the other King, TAPK, re Big Buck’s.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8373

Alan King says in Jumping Prospects that Karabak will be aimed at the World Hurdle and that they realised last year that he needed a good break between races; says he wasn’t at his best at Aintree and did well to finish 4th.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Apart from the fact Gord has been smoking wacky backy again and doing another one of his Alberta Runs but this time with Big Bucks this race is beyond discussion.

Big Bucks will win the world Hurdle and be odds on to do so come the day.

Puchestowns will go chasing Kasbah Blisss couldn’t win if he started now and what else is there?

Grab te best price you can now. All you gambling on is him turning up

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7238

Got Big Bucks at 10/1 last year to win world hurdle so happy he did.

However i think Karabak can beat him next year at Cheltenham

Roddy Owen
    Participant
    • Total Posts 441

543 apparently going for this according to Mullins yesterday

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 284 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.