The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Worcester Sunday

Home Forums Horse Racing Worcester Sunday

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6964

Anyone going?

Whilst there’s also a point-to-point at Bratton Down in deepest darkest Devon, I’d actually be more assured of Bratton Down’s long-term future than Worcester’s, so Worcester it is for me. Dreadful forecast, but not too bad to breach the banks of the Severn. I hope!

Looking forward to a game of Spot The Point-to-Pointer in the second race in particular (it’s teeming with them), and neither the intemediate hurdle nor the beginners’ chase would rate the most dismal contests ever.

Happy to say hi to any TRFfers there.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

aji
    • Total Posts 469

Saturday for me. I think the card is a bit better ,and like watching the Derby on the big screen.

Rotten forecast for tomorrow as well :(

I hope Worcester survives, it is a nice litle racecourse and has some OK meetings especially earlier in the year.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6964

On my way in a few minutes. The forecast looks atrocious and the course has taken three inches of rain in the last 24 hours with more to come, but there’s no mention of an inspection that I could see. Anyone closer to the course rate its chances of getting through the entire card?

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Thirty six non runners and counting; all the very best, Mr Column!

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Going is now

Soft, Heavy in the Home Straight

With the number of non-runners, now 39, and the state of the ground it isn’t one I would be keen to set off for in a hurry – unless I lived very close to the course.

Quote from CoC

"Track has taken rain very well to date, with no problems anticipated."

Does anybody have any Saxo?

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6964

Nope, Fergus Cameron had it about right – no problems anticipated with the couse, and none realised.

The only problem that materialised at all was that the infield was too wet for the Red Devils to perform their scheduled skydive onto it – they would have far less landed on the ground as sunk into it.

At least kids’ TV character Peppa Pig was happy. Happy as a pig in mud, indeed.

If anything, the problem during the meeting proper was that it remained snuff dry! The breeze whipped the going into something pretty tacky and holding, ultimately. They weren’t sloshing through it, which would have been easier to do.

The spread of non-runners was odd – 10 out of 14 in the handicap hurdle but only 3 from a bigger field in the bumper, when the going was at its most churned. And frankly, given the last two point-to-point fixtures I went to contained 13 and 18 runners all told, these fields were still plenty big enough even in their reduced state!

A most enjoyable day all in all, despite the mud, the familiarly ordinary facilities and doing my conkers on the Nicky Richards thing King Penda in the bumper (evidently him being at the course in person was far less A Sign In Itself, and far more to make sure the gelding didn’t go beserk in the preliminaries as on his debut). And a day that at certain times in the last two troubled years of the course’s existence I didn’t think I’d get to experience at all.

Next stop Umberleigh this Saturday!

Jeremy
    (graysonscolumn)

Emerald
    • Total Posts 66

Despite all the non runners I too had a reasonably enjoyable, if not profitable trip to Worcester yesterday, first time in a long time and see nothing much has changed except the size of the pothole in the car park! On the subject of King Penda I was stood near him after the race and Nicky said he dare not even throw a bucket of water over him incase he went beserk!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.