The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Wolverhampton Racecourse

Home Forums Horse Racing Wolverhampton Racecourse

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    racinggirluk
    • Total Posts 232

This is a list of the fatalities at this all weather course since the end of Oct:

<br>November 6 <br>Amateur riders’ handicap 1m5f 194yds 10 runners <br>La Via Ferrata breaks his off-fore and falls over a mile from home, hampering and unseating Cordage and Commander Wish.

November 16 <br>Maiden Stakes 1m5f 194yds 7 runners <br>Odds-on favourite Mantle is four lengths clear when breaking down and having to be pulled up inside the final furlong.

November 17 <br>Handicap 1m5f 194yds 12 runners <br>Montage breaks a leg and falls 7f from home, hampering and unseating Golden Boot.

November 25 <br>Handicap 1m1f 103yds 12 runners <br>Eccollo clips heels, stumbles and takes a fatal fall 2f out, bringing down Consonant and badly hampering Spainnash, among others.

November 27 <br>Handicap 1m1f 103yds 12 runners <br>Mad Maurice meets trouble inrunning over a furlong out and suffers a fatal fall, bringing down Diktatorship and hampering Sehoya.

December 11 <br>Selling Stakes 11 runners <br>Money For Fun breaks front leg three furlongs out and falls, bringing down Polly Rocket while Put It On The Card, Aggbag and Fly Time are hampered and unseat their riders.

The people at the course think that there is nothing wrong with the surface, but to me, there is something a miss…I have ridden on polytrack and its a fast surface, maybe a bit to fast for a tight track….

I agree with some of the trainers and jockeys, something has to be done before a jockey gets killed, or maybe thats what they are waiting for before doing something about it…

I hope they close the course, its had more meetings than anywhere this year, the track needs a rest and needs sorting!!

What are your views on it?????<br> <br>

(Edited by racinggirluk at 2:59 pm on Dec. 12, 2006)

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

Welcome to the Forum, racinggirluk.

The speed of the surface alone is not the issue in this instance, in my view. The going allowances at most recent meetings are actually slightly slower than usual.

This suggests to me that it is either an unfortunate coincidence or that the surface has deteriorated. If it is the latter, the surface is unlikely to degrade consistently across the track but will probably be patchy.

empty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

How about this daft  scenario

People are now actually trying to obtain the best possible finishing position thus causing races to become more competitive and what has happened is just an unfortunate  consequence of this

empty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

maybe breeding from unsound horses is to blame too for those that have broken down

If the surface is to blame, then wouldn’t we see similar effects at Lingfield and Kempton?

(Edited by empty wallet at 3:23 pm on Dec. 12, 2006)

racinggirluk
    • Total Posts 232

Not really, Kempton is a new surface and Lingfield have had work done to the track and have raced on it less than Wolverhampton, which has taken some of the Great Leighs fixtures…<br>Polytrack rides good/good-firm, which is suited more to a galloping track, wolverhampton is a tight course, I have ridden round it, but that was a long time ago when it had fibresand…<br>Some of the jockeys have been quoted to have said the surface is not being harrowed regulary like it should be, so it is compacting…which will make it very firm to run on….

There must be a reson behind it all, it has to stop before a jockey gets killed….

I will look into the breeding thing, but very doubtful

empty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

Welcome to the forum

<br>I, like others who have commented, don’t know the reason/s for the spate of injuries/accidents.

I’m just throwing theories to the floor, but trying to blame one thing, when there are several other possibilities or a combination of these is to blame, seems a bit of a knee jerk to me

Poly can be adjusted to ride like a road, or like a bog, the elements also have effect on the surface during a meeting

Most horses will handle Polytrack, but not all will handle the kickback, the configuration of tracks

<br>Maybe the aswer is, horses should have work trials at the courses before actually racing on it, to see if they can cope with the surface and cofiguration, maybe jockeys should have trials on it too,  this would also help inexperienced jockeys  in riding around such tracks and maybe cause less accidents

(Edited by empty wallet at 4:33 pm on Dec. 12, 2006)

Artemis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1736

I have read several times over the past couple of months that racing wide at this track is a major disadvantage, much more so than the other AW tracks. Trainers, jockeys and various pundits have all expressed this opinion.

If this is the case, for whatever reasons, then there is bound to be a lot of crowding as jockeys try to keep their mounts away from the bias of racing wide. It might now be the case that actually racing away(wider) from this scrimmaging could be a good tactic in races up to 9f.

In previous years at Wolverhampton, there didn’t seem to be such a big disadvantage in racing wide as there(apparently) is at present. If there was, it wasn’t given the same prominence or publicity as at present.

If everyone wants to occupy the same space, there is bound to be overcrowding with the resulting accidents.

racinggirluk
    • Total Posts 232

but not all the horses involved had horses around them,  Mantle was 4 lengths clear at the time..<br>I will speak to a few of the jocks over the weekend and see what they have to say

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Artemis

Where have you read this? I believe such information to be erroneous, in fact most horses end up swinging wide on the final bend and challenging down the middle of the track.

empty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

Quote: from racinggirluk on 4:35 pm on Dec. 12, 2006[br]but not all the horses involved had horses around them,  Mantle was 4 lengths clear at the time..

Correct and not all horses that break down on turf have horses around them, Horatio Nelson, Gypsy King to name just two

Should we blame these courses

(Edited by empty wallet at 4:54 pm on Dec. 12, 2006)

racinggirluk
    • Total Posts 232

Horatio Nelson  was in the pack coming off of Tattenham corner…<br>But this post is about Wolverhampton…and to why there has been so many deaths within the last month….

empty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

Yes it is about Wolverhampton, but my point is fatalities happen at other tracks and it is  probably an unfortunate set of circumstances that there have been so many in such a short space of time

I suppose if you ran the same  amount of racing at any other track we would maybe see the same amount of injuries,

Cheltenham had spate of injuries at one meeting, 10, i believe, should we blame Chelters or is it possible, it was the competitive nature  of the racing that brought about these

(Edited by empty wallet at 5:24 pm on Dec. 12, 2006)

Artemis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1736

DJ,

That’s what I thought before reading or hearing reports from various sources recently. I can’t recall exactly where I read or heard these reports, almost certainly in the RP or on ATR, as these are the only media I use for racing, apart from the forum.

empty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

From Salute thread, posted by AP

In fact if I’d written a script, that would have been it – getting a spot on the rail has looked crucial at Wolves this week. Seven races yesterday and nothing drawn higher than 4 won any of them – and in five of those stalls 1 to 4 provided the forecast.

<br>AP noticed it, so others may do and give instructions to ride similar, which may be the cause of some accidents as Artemis states

<br>

(Edited by empty wallet at 6:07 pm on Dec. 12, 2006)

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

This topic has just been covered on Radio 5 Live as well as the BBC News website.<br>Clearly the number of equine fatalities in just over a month is unfortunate though given the amount of meetings hosted at Wolves (98 thus far this year) the deaths may be simply compressed into a shorter time frame than elsewhere.<br>Theories espoused are:-<br>- too many meetings mean track is insufficiently prepared (Lingfield can’t hold many less meetings).<br>- mediocre horses racing round a tight track seeking the same ground<br>-surface becoming compressed due to too much racing and riding faster (disputed on this thread).<br>Radio 5 tried to draw parallels with the ill fated hurdling venture on the old Lingfield AW and suggested that the public didn’t care about horse deaths at Wolves in the way they would at Cheltenham or Aintree which seemed unfair!<br>Dale Gibson from Jockeys Association reckons many of his members have ridden tight tracks in Macau and Hong Kong with no problems but are concerned at Wolves. Tom Eaves will be out for a while as he reportedly needs an operation on his injury.<br>Meetings planned between owners Arena, HRA and Jockeys Association. <br>

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.