Wokingham Handicap 2016

Home Forums Archive Topics Royal Ascot 2016 Wokingham Handicap 2016

This topic contains 24 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by stevecaution stevecaution 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5265

I put reasons for my bet in tips thread but i like OUTBACK TRAVELLER at 16/1

Am sure when Bob sees this thread we get 1000 words i hope so i know how much he loves these big field handicaps

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 15287

lol Darren, yup, could ramble all day about races like this.

Had quite a poor record in the big handicaps last year, but Interception in this was one of the few highlights, but even then, he was third choice, and the big odds I got in the morning (25’s if I recall) were butchered by a hefty R4. Don’t see why he can’t run his race again off 6lbs higher, and I wouldn’t write him off at 20’s.

My big fancy last year was Huntsmans Close, but as you’ll no doubt recall, having been keen on him yourself, he bolted at the start. I was happy enough with his comeback yesterday, and despite looking to have gone off the boil a bit last year, I’ve a feeling they’ve wanted another go at this, and he looks a decent price at 25’s, and I’ve had a go each way.

Another horse I like, who also went off the boil last year was Hillbilly Boy. He did though, run a screamer in The Silver Cup at Ayr for me, and he showed himself to be in top form at Chester last time, winning just a shade easily. In good fettle then, and though off a career high mark, it should at least see him sneak in, and the 33’s looks very big. I’ve not really been betting since Punchestown, so unfortunately I missed him at Chester, but should he make it, I might just have a few quid on. I’ll probably add him ante-post as well for a few quid at the 33’s.

In front of Hillbilly Boy at Ayr was Tatlisu, and being well weighted, he could make a mockery of the 33’s.

Accession (33’s) is another horse I follow, and I had to watch him win at Double figures at Newmarket without a bean on. Should the heavens open I wouldn’t rule him out, while drier conditions would see me consider Boom The Groom or Ashpan Sam at 40’s.

Another horse who is huge at 40’s, is Louis The Pious. No stranger to big race success, and he’s coming down the weights nicely. Could easily fire into that 40’s, but can’t be betting them all at this stage.

Glen Moss isn’t discounted at 25’s, while it’s a shame that Gamesome probably won’t make the cut, as he looks ideal for it.

There’s 121 entered, and of the rest, Rivellino 25’s, and Squats 33’s also caught the eye.

Huntsmans Close for me then at 25’s, with Hillybilly Boy at 33’s no doubt to follow……………with about umpteen others by the look of things.

GL

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5265

this on saturday any thoughts on it now i still stick with my bet not added anymore yet

Ben_Bernanke
    Ben_Bernanke
    Participant
    • Total Posts 638

Haha VTC I had Interception in this last year too! Took 22’s in the morning and was loving life watching it get smashed in! Think it went off at 10/1 or so didn’t it?

The year before in this I backed Absolutely So the night before at 14/1 if I remember correctly, the yard SMASHED it in and it went off 4/1 fav!!!! Didn’t like the ground though and flopped haha.

Haven’t looked through this years starters yet but I can guarantee my eventual selection will place at least (and at odds of 14/1 or bigger). I won’t be eating my words as my selection will place whatever it is, mark my words :)

Ben_Bernanke
    Ben_Bernanke
    Participant
    • Total Posts 638

Just had a 20second glance at the runners and it looks like Squats and Toofi are going to run big races as long as they run and the ground suits but obviously we won’t know that til the day

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 15287

Good luck Ben, I’ll be sure to have a few quid each way on your pick ;-)

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5265

Just look at field for race one intrest on me not because of form but trainer that horse is THE HAPPY PRINCE when was last time AOB had a runner in UK in a sprint handicap very intresting i not back it but thought it intresting he in race

botchy1
    botchy1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2959

I cannot let B Fifty Two go unbacked in this. Good draw and when it wins, it wins. Hopefully the handbrake is off this weekend :yes: 33/1 e/w 5 places taken

joliff
    joliff
    Participant
    • Total Posts 351

No doubt the ground is right for B Fifty Two but his record at Ascot is appalling, never better than 7th in 7 outings – also no horse older than 6 has won this race since the turn of the century…Holland is certainly in form however with 2 wins this past week though.

Unoriginal I know but I like Brando here, in form, goes on the ground and Kevin Ryan is a sprint master as when training York Glory to victory 3 years ago. 6/1 is certainly short for a 30 runner sprint but he’s got the right credentials.

raymo61
    raymo61
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4322

I think last years Ayr Gold Cup might be a good starting point for this with Poyle Vinnie Ninjago Toofi and Buckstay all being placed. Of those four I would lean towards Toofi and Buckstay and in particular Buckstay which looked a little unlucky at his first run at the trip.

Other ones I am interested include the rather obvious Brando and the not so obvious pair of Accession and Shared Equity. Accession would love the thunderstorms to arrive that have been forecast and Shared Equity ran really well at Epsom last time behind Blaine. :good: :good:

botchy1
    botchy1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2959

Added Shared Equity to win @25-1 with Paddies. Could well be a plunge horse :yes:

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 15287

Just look at field for race one intrest on me not because of form but trainer that horse is THE HAPPY PRINCE when was last time AOB had a runner in UK in a sprint handicap very intresting i not back it but thought it intresting he in race

I’m like yourself Darren, not planning on backing him, but he really does look one to be very wary of, and at 22’s, still a very decent price too.

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 15287

Added Shared Equity to win @25-1 with Paddies. Could well be a plunge horse :yes:

He’s very much on my shortlist Botchy, and expect a big run from him, fingers crossed.

I’ll reluctantly leave your B Fifty Two alone though. Was lucky enough to catch him at a very nice price for his last win, but he’s also let me down more than a few times as well. I’ll take it on the chin if tomorrow is his day…..best of luck with him :good:

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 15287

I think last years Ayr Gold Cup might be a good starting point for this with Poyle Vinnie Ninjago Toofi and Buckstay all being placed. Of those four I would lean towards Toofi and Buckstay and in particular Buckstay which looked a little unlucky at his first run at the trip.

Other ones I am interested include the rather obvious Brando and the not so obvious pair of Accession and Shared Equity. Accession would love the thunderstorms to arrive that have been forecast and Shared Equity ran really well at Epsom last time behind Blaine. :good: :good:

I’m siding with Poyle Vinnie from that lot Raymo. Had him at big odds that day at Ayr, and though very happy with the each way return, I was so close to a proper pay day from him, having him in a double with Tatlisu in The Silver Cup. Was still keen on Tatlisu for this, and a shame he just missed out. Vinnie though, looks fairly treated, should like the conditions, and I think he’s overpriced.

Huntsmans Close sneaking in though, has more than made up for that disappointment, and hoping he can give me a run for my money at 25’s, especially with him being my only serious ante-post bet of the season so far.

With Hillbilly Boy balloted out, got a few quid from that bet to play with, and, as mentioned, that looks like going the way of Poyle Vinnie & Shared Equity. Was lucky enough to get a decent return from Bossy Guest the other day in The Royal Hunt Cup, taking the 6 places, so I’ll definitely hold off and see if any of the firms will offer that incentive once more.

Could easily go mad here, but can’t bet em all, and a few of my other early have made it. Accession is still a very underrated horse, and only the drying conditions put me against him, while I’d still be happy to make a case for Glen Moss, and Interception.

It’s a cracker of a line up this year, the best for some time, and old favourites Boom The Groom & Ashpan Sam, don’t make it any easier. Boom The Groom is another underrated horse, while Ashpan Sam, who has admittedly let me down a few times in the bigger races, will be a threat with a run under his belt.

Looking forward to it, and good luck to all :good:

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4526

You can’t say anything is obvious in a race like this but given luck in running and the course drying out a little more Interception is quite close to it. It must have been something of a Forum benefit last year as I backed it as well. She was very impressive and although she hasn’t quite gone forward as expected on the plus side she is only 3lb’s higher in a race with very little weight range. Hopefully, the big field and decent pace is key and it is very much all systems go again. If conditions are right she could easily go off single figures.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.