The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

William Hill – Proof of ID for withdrawal

Home Forums Horse Racing William Hill – Proof of ID for withdrawal

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    wilsonlwilsonl
    Participant
    • Total Posts 860

I can sort of understand the random checks before processing a withdrawal but having received an e-mail asking for ALL of the following, how easy would you sleep ?

Scanned copy of BOTH sides of my debit card
    Scanned copy of my driving license
    Scanned copy of a recent utility bill

Seriously have these people never heard of identify theft ?

Having had a lengthy conversation with them I received confirmation that it was not a hoax but that is the last time I will use them.

It is not a new account by the way – just one of their random security checks.

Surely there’s a better way than asking for my debit card (front and back).

Lee

TheBluesBrotherTheBluesBrother
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1078

Send an email back to them with a "cc" attactment to your local police station explaining that what they are asking is against Data Protection Laws, sit back and watch their reaction. :D

If anybody sends a copy of both sides of their debit card by email they need help :shock:

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3087

Assuming this is Hills online site we’re talking about, that’s based in Gib, so involving the local plod isn’t likely to produce much action.

The EU money transfer and money laundering rules require full disclosure of identity for sums over 1,000 Euros. I suspect this is what Lee has run up against.

I’d entirely agree that sending full copies of a debit card is risky – suggest you consult your bank for their view, and if you have to do what Hills require, get a new card issued from your bank immediately afterwards.

You could also try withdrawing the money in smaller chunks of less than 1000 Euros over a period of days.

As Betfred have demonstrated and I suspect this example shows, using Gib based bookies can be as bad for the punters as it is for racing.

AP

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

I e-mailed my local MP when Betdaq did this to me a long time ago, as they said I either provide the info or I don’t get my money :evil:
    My MP replied quoting the EU money transfer and money laundering rules, as ap also mentioned. He also agreed with me that data protection was indeed a big issue but the money laundering law trumped any rights I may have to protect my data. Not good.

Roseblossom
    • Total Posts 350

Friend of mine got embroiled in this with a bingo company – never mind less than £1000, all she wanted to do was take the last £10 out of her account and close it. In the end she decided the £10 wasn’t worth the risk and gave up.

Grimes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1891

Actually, it’s beyond farcical, it’s surreal; the reason being that the global economy, via the banks, is based on the proceeds of organised crime and its laundered money: drugs, prostitution, you name it. But of course the EU is apparently run by crooks and swindlers who categorically refuse to act on the evidence of massive financial corruption within their own organisation.

There was an amusing article on the subject of the reliance of the banks on money laundering in the Guardian a few weeks ago, and a more technical analysis of it on some other site.

In the Guardian, the writer said that some honest workman might be made to jump through hoops just to open an account – references, the lot.

But some Russian billionnaire mafioso could walk in, ask to see the manager, plonk a bag full of 100 dollar bills, say he wants to open an account with them, tell the latter how many businesses and properties he owns, and it would go something like: "Come into my office. Oh no, don’t bother about the paperwork! We’ll take care of that. Scotch? Vodka?"

Money talks, and big money bellows. Different set of rules, as our nationalised bank CEOs will tell you from personal experience.

http://www.dosenation.com/listing.php?id=8399

http://www.lorenzohagerty.com/blog/?p=352

PurwellPurwell
    Participant
    • Total Posts 654

Good post Grimes, hits the nail on the head, one law for the rich and another for us!
    Anyone who wants that sort of information from me to get my own money will find me on their doorstep armed for bear!

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

Actually it was this escapade with Betdaq that was directly responsible for persuading me to stop gambling, so I guess I should thank them. I had already self-excluded myself for 6-months from BF and when trying to retrieve my acct a year later they wanted me to write a letter to their head office in order to get it back so I told them to F.O.
    Then this problem, it was basically the straw that broke the camel’s back. I wont play the game exclusively on their terms, they want to mess me about and blackmail me then they lose my custom. BD won the battle, but I won the war.

wilsonlwilsonl
    Participant
    • Total Posts 860

Sorry to drag this back to the top again, I’ve been away and thanks for the responses

But this was only a small return and the amount I tried to withdraw was about £100.

I still haven’t had it because at that amount I’m questioning whether it’s worth the hassle and/or security risk.

I won’t be betting with them again though that is for sure – no matter what the outcome.

Lee

wit
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2152

if you haven’t got it already in writing from them (email will do), get them now to put in writing what they are demanding and the basis on which they are demanding it.

just ask the simple question and don’t refer to past conversations. the object is to create a solid starting point for a paper trail that can be seen as complete by a third party (like a Court) coming to read it later on.

AP is right that Hills online are based in Gib, but if you look at their terms and conditions you will see that punter contracts with them are still under English governing law and jurisdiction (Clause 31).

and while the EU Payments regulation and Transfer of Funds regulations do specify ID required in relation to the payer, as HMRC helpfully explain here:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/mlr/your-role/EU … -reg.htm#2

" the payer is the person transferring the funds".

in other words it is not the person receiving a withdrawal to close.

Hills’ terms and conditions also allow them to levy an inactive account fee (Clause 7.11) if there is no deposit, withdrawal or transfer of funds made over 24 months.

it would not be allowed under English law, for example, for a bookie these days to engineer a charge under such a provision by imposing unwarranted unilateral conditions on withdrawals in order to discourage them.

but in my experience Hills have never been that kind of company, even before the Gambling Act changes.

so you may find that the discipline of getting them to put in writing their reasons may at least clarify what’s happening.

PompetePompete
    • Total Posts 2391

As I understand it by using the ‘Quick Cash’ option you can withdraw your winnings from a WH shop in cash. (You need to either print the receipt or make a note of the number and present it at any WH shop)

So, it may be worth asking if there is an option to prove your ID at the same time in the shop.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.