The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Will Trescothick get back in the England set up

Home Forums General Sports Will Trescothick get back in the England set up

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 25164

After pulling out of somersets tour to dubai due to a stress related illness,which is what cost him his place for england in the first place,will he ever get the call up for international duty again.

Member since March 2008
    Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

Welcome Nathan, an excellent choice of surname.

In the normal course of events, I would say he has next to no chance. However, I have a horrible feeling we are returning to the bad old days where players were picked and dropped on a whim or after a bad defeat. I wouldn’t put it past the selectors to pick him for a one-off home Test at some point in the future. I would be astonished though if he toured again.

Perhaps it is coincidence but English cricket has produced two talented cricketers in Trescothick and Harmison who are completely unable to cope mentally with playing cricket in a different country.

Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 25164

Lets say Trescothick does’nt get the recall,what are somerset’s chance’s of winning the county championship for the first time in their history?

Member since March 2008
    Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

I haven’t had a chance to go through the squads for this year, but first impressions are that Omari Banks is not as good as Cameron White, either with bat or ball and though Langer honouring his contract is great news (and typical of the man) I don’t think Somerset can realistically have title ambitions. Good enough to avoid going straight back down though.

Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 25164

It would be classed as a good season avoiding the drop,confidence is very high at taunton with last season’s success and ground develoments under way for what will be a fantastic new ground.my biggest worry would be the bowling attack,dont know much about omari Banks,Cameron White was a great player.

Member since March 2008
    Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

Omari Banks is a moderately talented batting/off spinning all-rounder but whereas Cameron White complemented Blackwell, Banks is the same type and it makes things more predictable. Caddick is a year older and he and Willoughby will have to carry the attack. Batting-wise, things look solid enough but overall, there isn’t enough class to challenge for the title. But staving off relegation is well within their grasp and with the financial situation getting tighter every year for the non-Test ground clubs, that in itself will be a success.

Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 25164

The new ground developments will hopefully help in the long term regarding finance with sell out twenty/20 games and it is hoped that one day international’s will be played there, I was oppose to the ground change’s at first but it was needed to compete with the test ground playing countys financally.

On the playing side of things watch out for James Hildreth very talented batsman,sometimes too attacking but he’s only young and also Craig Kieswetter a kolpak wicketkeeper had an encouraging first season last year.

Member since March 2008
    cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8966

Hi Nathan – welcome to the forum.

Zamorston
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1135

The original question of this thread has just been answered on BBC Sport website as breaking news..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket … 309556.stm

My own thoughts is that it would have been a backward step to put Trescothick back in, as good a player as he is and has been. It’s definitely time to look forward instead of backwards.

On the County Championship thing, my money would be on Lancashire. They threaten every year and always seem to find a way to lose it, but I’ve just a feeling this year could be their turn.

That’s coming from a Yorkie aswell.

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

It is a genuine shame that Trescothick could not continue for England, on a personal level and also because aside from Pietersen, there is no-one else in the England line-up capable of dominating a bowling attack and accelerating the scoring rate.

Hildreth is a great prospect and it may be one of life’s little coincidences if he becomes the long-term replacement for Trescothick in the England team. I’d like to see Lancashire win it as well but I fear that the microclimate of Manchester will rob them of vital points.

Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 25164

I think Trescothick has made the right decision, good luck to him for the future. He had a very good test career and averaged over 40 in the 2005 winning Ashes series. He’s been a great servant to Somerset and i hope he continues to score heavily for a few more years yet.

Talking of Lancashire it looks like Flintoff is making steady progress with bat and ball over in dubai. Sussex have been consistent over the last couple of years and i wouldnt bet against them taking the title.

Member since March 2008
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 25164

Sorry nearly forgot, Hi Cormack and eveyone else who has kindly welcomed me to the forum.

Member since March 2008
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.