The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Why Was Smullen On Garswood?

Home Forums Horse Racing Why Was Smullen On Garswood?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Whatever the reason the experiment backfired as the horse never really travelled and was a disappointment. Didn’t get home but wouldn’t have won at any distance.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

4th of 21 runners was a good enough performance. It was hardly as if he was a short priced favourite. I don’t think the Free Handicap was a great race and he had his limitations exposed in the 2000 Guineas. I doubt he ran much below his best today in a very competitive affair. I backed him hoping the return to 7f might help him and count against my old pal Gale Force Ten but it just wasn’t the way it turned out. I think it is folly to suggest that Pat Smullen was a factor in the defeat.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Thanks for sharing your opinion although I was primarily trying to find out the reason for the jockey change hence the title of the thread.

Participant
    • Total Posts 189

No idea on jockey change but .. the best RE Fahey has ‘ever trained’ can only finish 4th in a Group 3. Is it only me that finds this odd?

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Thanks for sharing your opinion although I was primarily trying to find out the reason for the jockey change hence the title of the thread.

People like you are the reason so few post here. Your horse lost. Get over it for christ sake.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

No idea on jockey change but .. the best RE Fahey has ‘ever trained’ can only finish 4th in a Group 3. Is it only me that finds this odd?

Garswood has won twice so far. A listed race and a listed Handicap race. There is no reason to suggest he was a good thing today.

As for the jockey it is self evident when you compare the group successes of Pat Smullen and Tony Hamilton as to which Jockey has dined at the top tables and which jockey 99% of trainers would opt for if both were available.

This thread is sour grapes personified and to say Garswood never ran any sort of race today is nonsense of the highest order.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

It seems as though Richard Fahey picks the best jockey available for big races. I can’t see why it is surprising that Pat Smullen had this ride.

According to the trainer’s website, Paul Hanagan is the first choice when available, while Hamilton, Tylicki and McHugh are attached the stable without any of them being named as Number 1. Tony Hamilton wasn’t jocked-off according to this arrangement as far as I can see.

bimble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 77

The Cheveley Park Stud has a share in the ownership
    of the horse so perhaps it wanted a change of jockey .

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

People like you are the reason so few post here. Your horse lost. Get over it for christ sake.

Judge and jury are we? A little bit of an over reaction I feel but others can judge that for themselves and perhaps consider whether it really is folly to suggest a horse may travel better for one jockey than another. All this vitriol I suspect because you were totally clueless about ground requirements for Galileo Rock and I was kind enough to correct you.

Thread has nothing to do with sour grapes and there is a difference between suggesting a horse is disappointing and run no race at all but why bother reading the thread properly if all you want is a fight? As it happens I backed the horse each-way with Bet365 who paid four places and having backed Magician have had six winning races in a row so I am hardly feeling particularly sour at the moment.

Perhaps you should try anger management as it is you who needs to get over yourself.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Judge and jury are we? A little bit of an over reaction I feel but others can judge that for themselves and perhaps consider whether it really is folly to suggest a horse may travel better for one jockey than another. All this vitriol I suspect because you were totally clueless about ground requirements for Galileo Rock and I was kind enough to correct you.

Thread has nothing to do with sour grapes and there is a difference between suggesting a horse is disappointing and run no race at all but why bother reading the thread properly if all you want is a fight? As it happens I backed the horse each-way with Bet365 who paid four places and having backed Magician have had six winning races in a row so I am hardly feeling particularly sour at the moment. wa

Perhaps you should try anger management as it is you who needs to get over yourself.

You started any perceived "fight" with your sarcastic comment and your kiddie "ooh look at the thread title" comment.

Now you are stirring up the crap trolling up guff from another thread about another horse. Just for the record, your opinion there was based on a line from the trainer that was NOT backed up by racecourse evidence. In the end the fact is that I tipped and backed Galileo Rock at 66/1 and got paid (had the winner at 25/1 as well) and I’ll continue to back horses who have won on going the trainer doesn’t necessarily think is best for them.

Garswood has been beaten favourite twice with Tony Hamilton up, he’s been beaten jt fav with Paul Hanagan up and now he’s been beaten as 2nd fav with Pat Smullen up. There is absolutely no reason to think he goes better for any one jockey.

He was a listed winner running in a group three and he wasn’t favourite. The favourite won the race and I’m sure he would have been shorter if Magician had won the St James’ Palace to boost the form. Montiridge seems to be getting his act together and the only thing that I would call surprising about the Jersey was how well Tawhid ran on ground that looked too fast for him. Garswood seems to be a horse who hasn’t lived up to the trainer’s opinion. He’s a big specimen and I believe people expect more from that type, along the lines of the "good big one vs good little one" maxim. It could be a bit of cut will suit him being such a big horse.

In summary, I am here to put my opinion on an open forum and defend myself when I feel it necessary. I am not interested in combat and I am sorry if you feel that is the case. Dragging up theories about why there may be perceived friction is not a good way to foster bonhomie on a forum though.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 3003

Nice to see Stilvi get his due deserts at last

this place is very similar to the betfair forum for quality of posts although to be fair they dont have as many adverts

well said Steve

imo

Ricky

Participant
    • Total Posts 2805

this place is very similar to the betfair forum

Well, not quite. If it were, Stilvi would be asking for the jockey to be banned for a lifetime, the horse to be prevented from running for the next three seasons and the trainer to be jailed.

You and he would also have arranged to settle your differences at midnight in a car park somewhere near Croydon.

Mike

• Total Posts 20

Obviously that’s the trainer’s opinion and maybe based on his homework he’s exceptional, you could also be cruel and say apart from a couple of "substandard" group 1 winners the trainer mainly trains decent handicappers and the odd listed class horse, so it doesn’t take much to be his best. I’ve not totally given up on Garswood, but it might take a while for him to find his best form on the racecourse. And I wasn’t slagging Fahey off, he’s an admirable trainer given the horses he has, but it’s not the same as a Stoute, Gosden or O’Brien saying it’s their best ever horse.

Participant
    • Total Posts 189

Wise words, many thanks for them, everyone

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

Obviously that’s the trainer’s opinion and maybe based on his homework he’s exceptional, you could also be cruel and say apart from a couple of "substandard" group 1 winners the trainer mainly trains decent handicappers and the odd listed class horse, so it doesn’t take much to be his best. I’ve not totally given up on Garswood, but it might take a while for him to find his best form on the racecourse. And I wasn’t slagging Fahey off, he’s an admirable trainer given the horses he has, but it’s not the same as a Stoute, Gosden or O’Brien saying it’s their best ever horse.

If Wootton Bassett was a substandard 2yo my cocks a kipper.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

The Racing Forum brotherhood in action is a wonder to behold.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.