The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Why do presenters always go over the top?

Home Forums Horse Racing Why do presenters always go over the top?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    The Market Man
    • Total Posts 396

The BBC crew are now crowing about Shirocco being the best horse in the world. Why? Ok Shirocco is unquestionably one of the best middle distance horses in the world but it seems to me the fact that Shirocco beat Ouija Board with conditions in Shirocco’s favour has suddenly got Balding and Persad dribbling.

When Shirocco beats Hurricane Run (so far hasn’t) and this years Derby winner and the best of the Americans at this years Breeders Cup then fine Shirocco would deserve to be called the best in the world but right now, no.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

HR is the best middle distance horse in the world, without doubt. He’s a monster of a horse, providing he gets there he’ll win the Arc again unless visindar turns out to be a monster as well…

prince regent
    • Total Posts 221

<br>i agree about hurricane run i think hes the better beast<br>i dont think shirrocco was that impressive today and the 2nd and 3rd hold the form down

but in awnser tot he question  as to why they go over the top

probably becuase they have nothing to say  and three minutes to fill up

FlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

I thought Fabre said he thinks that Shirocco may improve past HR this year.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

This makes me think of Steve Mellish who i was watching on RUK last night

Not because he goes over the top but quite the opposite. Also he is so incredibly quick that he seems to be able to completely weigh up a race with a minute of them passing the post

Although he can sound like a amphetimine addict with a mouthful of crisps, he tells you exactly how it is without hype or silly sentimentality. Nice sense of humour too

Class act :)

Arazi
    • Total Posts 263

They made similar comments when Rakti won at the Royal meeting a couple of years ago. He was being crowned the best 1m 2f horse in the world.

They do tend to go over the top.

PAULCS
    • Total Posts 529

<br>Everyone on here has had their dig in the past and rightfully so but nothing changes as I just thought the whole coverage was weak overall again.

– Alexandrova was one of the most visually impressive Oaks winners you will ever see yet Jim McGrath made it sound as exciting as a Southwell claimer.

– When the Beeb show a form guide, it makes you cringe when you hear how Ian Bartlett’s commentary has been dubbed for races they didn’t cover.

Worst bit of all was cutting to a helicopter camera during every race just before Tattenham Corner – How are we supposed to watch from up there?<br>

The Market Man
    • Total Posts 396

Quote: from PAULCS on 10:41 pm on June 2, 2006[br]

<br>- Alexandrova was one of the most visually impressive Oaks winners you will ever see yet Jim McGrath made it sound as exciting as a Southwell claimer.

<br>

<br>I thought that. Surely the Beeb can find a better commentator from somewhere? Peter O’Sullevan must cringe. Jim McGrath would’ve made Shergar’s ten length saunter sound mundane.

Meshaheer
    • Total Posts 486

The helicopter view is hacking me off already. The Beeb and CH4 will be doing satellite shots from outer space next.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

To be fair to Aussie Jim, he’d used up his superlatives of the day on Ouija Board who ‘ran the race of her life’ to beat Enforcer half a length.

PAULCS
    • Total Posts 529

<br>I’ve got nothing against JM personally but for me one way in which you can tell who is a great commentator (which you should be to get the Beeb job) is when you can recall their commentaries when looking back at great races.

Everyone remembers the peerless Peter O’Sullevan-

– Nijinsky’s King George<br>- Dawn Run’s Gold Cup<br>- Desert Orchid’s Gold Cup

Even Simon Holt was brilliant during Best Mate’s second Gold Cup and Moscow Flyer’s second Queen Mother although he did mess up big time in at the end of this year’s 2000 Gns.

With JM though, I’m racking my brain but nothing great comes to mind at all.

ToneLoc
    • Total Posts 101

Most memorable JM commentary?

Some random race at Happy Valley in the late 80s while Michael Palin whilst going Around the World in 80 Days. I think Philip Robinson rides the winner.

Zorro
    • Total Posts 472

The best horse in the world is Deep Impact.

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

Thank you for your well-reasoned argument, zorro. :)

guskennedy
    • Total Posts 759

Quote: from PAULCS on 11:02 pm on June 2, 2006[br]Everyone remembers the peerless Peter O’Sullevan-

– Nijinsky’s King George<br>- Dawn Run’s Gold Cup<br>- Desert Orchid’s Gold Cup

Sean Magee, in today’s Guardian, recalls O’Sullevan’s commentary on Shergar’s Derby: "He’s only in an exercise canter!" But did the great man commentate on that race? If he did, I’ve never heard it. Graham Goode called the race for C4 and Peter Bromley for BBC Radio and I’ve not heard any other commentary. I do recall O’Sullevan on Nijinsky’s King George where he referred to that horse winning in a canter and I wonder if Magee’s got the two mixed up with each other.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.