The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Who will be Champion Flat Jockey 2012?

Home Forums Horse Racing Who will be Champion Flat Jockey 2012?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Leeknowles1
    • Total Posts 100

Who will Be Champion Jockey Next Season and why?? (EDIT)

I personally fancy WILLIAM BUICK this year,Some of john gosdens crop looked abit backwards and as if they would need time, so plenty of firepower this season, his racing brain is top class and if he can rack up the rides of the past few champions, he can rack up the winners!

Im putting my prize possessions on the line and going for top 4.

1.WILLIAM BUICK
    2.RICHARD HUGHES
    3.PAUL HANAGAN
    4.KIEREN FALLON

although i expect this year to be tighter than ever!

Tuffers
    • Total Posts 1402

Joe Fanning – he’s been knocking on the door for years and he’s had a great start to 2012.

I also think his riding style fits with the new whip rules quite well so hopefully he won’t be picking up too many bans.

Leeknowles1
    • Total Posts 100

Joe Fanning – he’s been knocking on the door for years and he’s had a great start to 2012.

I also think his riding style fits with the new whip rules quite well so hopefully he won’t be picking up too many bans.

Yeah very good shout to be fair, hes flying on the AW and i agree his style will suit the new rules, unlike the likes of frankie dettori who sits with his stirrups so high he has more chance of kicking himself up the arse than the horses belly, and relies on his whip too much!!

The only problem is i feel old fanning is very underated, his strike rate was that of the boys at the top, but with only 371 rides compared to Hanagans 1133, His chances are nothing unless he gets more, hopefully he will carry on his productive aw season and now hes affirmed as top jock and most likely to ride every one of MJ’s runners (if available) hopefully he can go well. just needs those 5 a day, and i dont mean fruit!

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

Joe was injured last year so his number of mounts was much lower than might have been otherwise. If he has the desire to go for the title, he would have to be a serious player. As good as Ryan Moore is, until the state of his main stable is known and how likely he is to relocate to Ireland, what are his realistic chances? It is a market with far too many variable factors to make it anything other than a fun bet.

okjoe57
    Participant
    • Total Posts 189

He’s young, he’s hungry, my money will be on SDS

Leeknowles1
    • Total Posts 100

Joe was injured last year so his number of mounts was much lower than might have been otherwise. If he has the desire to go for the title, he would have to be a serious player. As good as Ryan Moore is, until the state of his main stable is known and how likely he is to relocate to Ireland, what are his realistic chances? It is a market with far too many variable factors to make it anything other than a fun bet.

as much as i agree hes a good jockey looking at his past rides hes still never had over 700, and averages about 500-600 which is probably around half of the required rides to keep up these days! (unless your on about 40%SR)

And as far as a i know ryan will stay, but with the "state of his main stable" im not actually going to bet on it, and its too hard to tell with so many factors coming in, but with all being well for every jockey, i rate him higher than most, especially with the new rules!

Leeknowles1
    • Total Posts 100

He’s young, he’s hungry, my money will be on SDS

Boots them home :D

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

Hughes. With his strike rate, Hannon’s horses which this year will have some Sheikh Hamdan runners and all that brings is a fair bet at 5/1. If he wants it, he only has to put the time in, but that isn’t guaranteed.

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 28423

Looks like being between Hannagan, Desousa and Hughes. Need a trainer or trainers to give a lot of rides.

If Stoutey doesn’t have a better start wouldn’t be surprising to see Ryan Moore jump ship halfway through the season.

Got very little to do with who the best jockey is these days anyway.

Value Is Everything
    Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

But won’t De Sousa be riding many of Mark Johnson’s?

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

Hughes. With his strike rate, Hannon’s horses which this year will have some Sheikh Hamdan runners and all that brings is a fair bet at 5/1. If he wants it, he only has to put the time in, but that isn’t guaranteed.

But presumably R Hills will be riding the Hamdan horses as he is retained by the owner

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

But won’t De Sousa be riding many of Mark Johnson’s?

I would not like to say that MJ would give preference to any jockey, as it is not something he has ever done for the sake of the Jockey’s title in the past. SDS would never have got so close last season had Joe not suffered his injury. Another good reason why betting on the outcome is so fraught with imponderables.

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1293

I think that this is one of the most open championships for many years and you can make out a case for Hanagan, de Sousa, Moore, Hughes, Fallon, Buick.
    My personal view is that Hughesie won’t be too far away due to Hannons firepower, but that Stoute is bound to have a better year with a number of backward older horses coming to the fore, and by his own standards he should have a number that are on decent handicap marks.

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1293

Sorry, omitted to add to the previous post that due to Stoute having a better year, therefore that Moore should also be in the forefront too

GodolphinArabian
    • Total Posts 275

Stoute will 100% have a better year the 2yos he has just from cheveley are bred to be top class but moore wont be champion jockey he will be on the road again this year .. Paul again for me.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4453

Ladies and gentlemen. I will make this very clear and you can come back to this thread in November and mock me if you wish. Gather up all your life savings, go to your local bookies and put all of it on:

SILVESTRE DE SOUSA TO WIN THE JOCKEYS CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

I can’t believe some of you havent mentioned him in your top 4 when he came so close last year!

He WILL win it. No doubt in my mind. My reasoning:

His reputation is increasing by the month and more and more quality trainers are putting him on their horses. Look over at Meydan at the moment and you will see him riding Godlophin horses. My guess is he will be the number 2 for Mahmood Al Zarooni this year – a man with a string of over 300.

Mark Johnston drools about him. He WILL be MJ’s number one this year and ride many winners for him.

He will pick up quality spares from other trainers as everyone knows he is one of the best judges of pace and one of the best in a finish.

But probably MOST importantly and unlike some of the others mentioned, he WANTS to win it. He will travel all over the country to ride winners. He lives and breathes winners and this will be the first of many championships.

Last year SDS would have won comfortably had he not been banned so many times. I believe the new whip rules will HELP him this year. This boy has brains. He can count and he will get less bans now that there is a fixed number permitted. Already at the end of last season I could see how he had tactically adapted to the new rules.

Take my advice and grab the 3-1. HE WILL WIN!!!

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Kopwas
    Participant
    • Total Posts 148

It is a good question. My initial thoughts were that Moore would win, he has the class to win but I didn’t see enough decent 2yos from the Stoute set up to think he’ll get the necessary support.
    I don’t think Fanning will get the rides, SDS was really supported last year by Johnston and I think the Maktoums have taken to him. I’d expect SDS to get the pick of the yard. However, Fanning might take away some of SDS’ winners.
    Which brings me back to Hanagan, his yard will continue to churn out the winners and he has made a name now that will attract better rides from southern yards.
    I’d like to see Hughes win and all those 2yos will surely help. Will he survive the whip rules?
    Exciting times ahead for sure.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.