The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Where do they get them?

Home Forums Horse Racing Where do they get them?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

I was having a look 6 hours ago to see if the 7/1 I took on Jonjo’s at Lingfield was a wise choice and reading a few articles. Go on Jonjo show em how!!!!! could be :lol: or could be :oops:

Anyway, I came across one article about Joey Barton the footballer up on assault charges.

I had just read some posts one by Seagull, one By Let’s Go Racing and another by Friggo.

LIke a lot of guys on here they’re were some interesting debatable comments……well written at that.

But, when I read this well paid professional journalist’s story it was, in comparison, like something out of a kids 1st school book.

"He was wearing the same black jumper he wore when he was arrested in" "He sat in the back of the car with his lawyer"……do these people actually get paid for writing crap like that?

Some of the reporting on racing is even worse and I feel the standard of sports journalism is in decline……..would any other agree/disagree?

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

I think the standard of racing journalism is higher than it has been for some time. David Ashforth, Greg Wood, Lydia Hislop, Paul Haigh and James Willoughby, for starters, are much more capable and thought-provoking than any of the writers that were around when I was growing up in the 1970s and early-1980s. Back then we had people like Jack Logan and Monty Court.

Somehow, I think you may disagree!

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4822

I find the UK broadsheets coverage of racing to be good in general.
    In Ireland Ian McClean in the Sunday Independent is always worth reading.
    Alan Sweetman along with David Ashforth are the only two employees of the Racing Post worthy of the title journalist.

I bought the Weekender for the first time in yonks yesterday. Almost 4 Euro, total waste of money.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

I think racing attracts some decent journalists. Add to the above Alan lee and Julian Muscat as well as Chris McGrath who wrote a superb piece over the xmas period

Charlie D
    • Total Posts 500

I find the majority of racing articles bland and uninteresting, but that is not to say those employed as racing writers are not any good, some, like those Pru, Clivex mention have and do write good and interesting articles now and then

I just wish they came up with more that i find interesting :D

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

Marb, you will note that I said the standard of racing journalism is higher than it used to be. For me, that’s very difficult to dispute by anyone who had to put up with the banal dross that was foisted on us regularly in the 1970s/1980s/1990s. If I thought the Racing Post was the last word in racing journalism then I wouldn’t have helped found a paper to take it on. It’s all relative. Greg Wood (who does not work for the Post) is the best racing journalist in my lifetime, IMO.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

SPORTING LIFE COPIED AND PASTED….With doubts over Lingfield and Newcastle we’ll trust the action will be on at Dunstall Park on Friday night as Ace Club looks to have a good chance of following up his recent course win in the 7.50 six-furlong handicap.

He broke well from stall 10 to make all over five furlongs that day and he will have to have a good start again from the same box with a 6lb penalty over a furlong further here.

However, this trip is more to his liking and as he is in form he is the token choice against some badly out-of-form rivals. END

The above article is hardly what I would call good journalism.

He fails to tell us the recent win was only 4 days ago. There is no mention of the fact it was his first run over 5 furlongs in over 2 years. Nor that he has a trio of wins all at Southwell over 6 furlongs. Nor does it say he was a surprise winner 14/1.nor that he beat the equally well drawn fav a sh hd.

Doesn’t bother to tell us if Wolverhampton is a stuffer track than Southwell (stuffed if I know but would like to before putting my cash on)

Furthermore it was his first run for his new trainer, S Parr, which would have been something a good journalist would have jumped on.

I have no idea who wrote the article but hope he’s not on the above list of would be good reporters.

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

I suspect it was a piece of generic copy from the Press Association, who are the absolute pits.

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

But positively Shakespearean compared to a lot of the lazy waffle you see about, especially in the tabloids.

You know the kind of thing – the tipping “article” where the words are just a padded out version of information easily gleaned from the basic racecard and selections box:

“Catsmeat can follow up his recent win by taking the 6f sprint handicap (3.30) at Lingfield, where his trainer, Bloggs, can also strike with Dogfood in the opener (2.00). Jockey Harry Hook’emup could also have a profitable afternoon, and can steer home Piefilling in the claimer (2.30) and Hopeless in the 5.00. Tonight, at Wolverhampton, Bleeder looks the one to be on in the 7.45.”

It’s amazing to think that “journalists” actually get paid for this kind of dross.

thedarkknight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1299

Harry Hook’em up is actually riding at Wolves tonight Venusian :wink:

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Harry Hook’em up is actually riding at Wolves tonight Venusian :wink:

:lol:

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

So he is!

Many a true word….

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

And Hopeless is expected to win tonight – I got my text message about 10 mins ago! :shock:

NWRA
    • Total Posts 259

To be honest, I don’t know what most of you are complaining about in those examples.

Those tipping ‘articles’ where ‘the words are just a padded out version of information easily gleaned from the basic racecard and selections box, etc’ are usually in a tiny grey box where the journalist has been told to tip a few horses within 100 words. What do you expect? It’s a tipping column not an article, so why should it be the subject of literary criticism? Likewise a ‘breaking news’ article about The Breeders Cup which is just supposed to give the reader the main details as succinctly as possible and that’s it.

I don’t think you can fairly judge a journalist until you’ve seen him or her write a few articles where they can choose the subjects and have enough space to argue their points. Then you can judge their writing style and intellect.

To me, David Ashforth, Greg Wood, Lydia Hislop, Paul Haigh, Alastair Down, Peter Thomas, Alex Hankin and James Willoughby are all good reads (the latter is my favourite), as was Nick Luck when he had a column in The Sportsman. In fact, the only one I dislike is Clement Freud.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

The other thing to bear in mind is, in most cases, what you see in print is quite often not the same as was written by the journalist in question.

Most articles are re-written, to a greater or lesser extent, by the sub-editors before being released on the unsuspecting public.

The other pitfall is the journalists hands are often tied as they have to write in the style of the organisation they are writing for.

There is a football writer who moved from a tabloid to a broadsheet. Overnight he had to change his style from wham / bam simple words to eloquent prose. The change in writing was such that you wouldn’t think the same person had written both reports.

He was asked “what is your natural style of writing.â€

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.