The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

What's your favourite bet

Home Forums Tipping and Research Trends, Research And Notebooks What's your favourite bet

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Before any you guys say it, I will…….my fav bet is when I am on a winner <!– s:) –>:)<!– s:) –>

When I was punting regular a few years back and wasn’t going racing I used to love a 3 cross’s on a Saturday. (Sometimes 2 depending on the quality of racing)

3 x 10 pound doubles and a 40 pound treble

Simply because a double cover my ass and the treble was a good payout.

I used to keep a book with all my bets and found it very profitable…..like 2 trebles up over 12 months and I was quids in

Any you guys got a regular bet you stick to?

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

Personally, I find the Lucky 31 very profitable, especially with treble (that’s right, treble) the odds for one winner. (Assuming they all run of course, but then that’s only fair!) :mrgreen:

doyley
    Participant
    • Total Posts 567

Hello,

obviously WIN, but many years ago, as I worked in the back there was always someone diferent to the 10 horse sixpence [tanner] bet, and it was always couple pounds each way Round Robin! :shock:

I was the only guy in Carlisles, a bookie, 1965, that could settle a ******* Round Robin..and I did! 8)

Since the Lucky 15, Round Robins were ignored.. cause they give you three times the odds for a winner..

But the Round Robin is definitely the best bet, but I am to old to sort it…. :(

regards,

doyley

Artemis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1736

Echoing Friggo, I like the Lucky 15 and Lucky 31, both with treble the odds for one winner with the downside that non-runners are a nuisance.

Bookmakers like multiple bets, but they only offer treble odds in very competitive situations because their profit margins are significantly reduced by offering this concession.

People might scoff at recommending these types of bet in preference to singles, but if your resources are limited there is a valid argument for using them. You have the chance, albeit slim, of winning a significant sum in proportion to your modest stakes. With single bets, modest stakes only beget modest returns: safer, but uninteresting for most of us.

Those who can afford to bet serious money will not need me to tell them that single bets are de rigeur.

Oh, and any form of pool bet where you are playing for money previously bet into the pool such as rollover jackpots, placepots and the Scoop 6.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

I have to confess my "fun bet" when I go racing and I have time to get to the Nanny is to have a play on the Tote Exacta. The returns are frequently better than the CSF and if you play a banker to win and then have a couple for the place you can get some nice returns.

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

Echoing Friggo, I like the Lucky 15 and Lucky 31, both with treble the odds for one winner with the downside that non-runners are a nuisance.

:oops:

My post was more than a little sarcastic, I’m afraid. The Lucky 15/31/63 is just about the most profitable bet in LBOs, and the clue should lie in how much the bookmakers advertise them. I never touch the things, apart from once a year when I do a small stake Lucky 15 on the Scottish football leagues for a bit of fun.

And to go along with Paulostermeyer, the Exacta beats the CSF far more often than not. However, I tend to find that when it falls short of the CSF, it falls woefully short.

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

I like to back to win on the exchanges.

However I also like to have a go at the Jackpot/Scoop 6 when there is a substantial carry over and I can join a syndicate.

In Hong Kong over the weekend they have lots of exotic bets which took my fancy. My favourite one was the Quinella Place where you have to nominate 2 horses and they just have to both be in the first 3 places in any order. I liked to perm 3 or 4 horses in this bet and it gave me a good run for my money. I particularly liked it out there because I didn’t really know the form of the local runners and their racing is so competitive it made it really exciting. It also gave me a good "churn" for my money as I often got some sort of pickup.

One bet I’d never seen before out there was the Six Up. It is a cross between a Jackpot and a Placepot. You had to get the first or second in each of the 6 races.

Seagull
    • Total Posts 1708

The one bet that overall that bookies will never promote and never advertise are of course ew doubles on the second favs in 8-9 runner races especially when the fav is odds on.

So this must not be profitable for them and therefore a type of bet to look into.

No one will win all the time of course but overall doing these, but this is the best type of bet to get you banned if one was stupid enough to do them every day in the same shop.

It works on races in any country and is all down to the mathematics.

No need to look for any form or who is riding or training as long as its the clear second fav in an 8-9 runner race linked to another race with exactly the same number of runners.

Matron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6182

You put this up in the "Sytems Section" sometime ago Seagull.

Fancy posting again for a time?

Regards – Matron
    :cool:

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Hello,

obviously WIN, but many years ago, as I worked in the back there was always someone diferent to the 10 horse sixpence [tanner] bet, and it was always couple pounds each way Round Robin! :shock:

I was the only guy in Carlisles, a bookie, 1965, that could settle a [expletive] Round Robin..and I did! 8)

Since the Lucky 15, Round Robins were ignored.. cause they give you three times the odds for a winner..

But the Round Robin is definitely the best bet, but I am to old to sort it…. :(

I hear you!! I couldn’t out a Round Robin on without a preprinted slip if my life depended on it……….I luckily won the WH Jackpot 6 at Cheltenham the day Dawn Run won the Gold Cup…..mind you I had like 2 and 3 horses in each race, Some big priced thing kicked me of that day I can never remember the name of other than it was maybe Martin Pipes 1st winner or a David Nicholson horse..I remember Charter Party at 10/1, Jobroke was bet for fortunes, the swines (cost me more than a few quid price more than halfed) and the rest is haze, except the last race I had Western Sunset and Half free……….it’s was to a 2 1/2 pence stake and cost about 24-25 quid… I got over 14k back and to this day I have no idea how they got to the amount……..but I had the first 2 or the first and third in every race…….some bonus thing had me confused to hell so took the money and ran…….bugger about Western Sunset not winning last was would have been close on 70 to 80K apparantly

These multiple bets can be lot of fun but a real bummer when you get 1234 up 5 falls on it’s ass and 6 bolts in……..break yer heart :lol:

That bet led me to doing another bet 16 accums… 2x2x2x2 a few times or 2x1x2x2 for 8 accums. I was doing very well out of that but eventually my bookie started refusing the bet as the cost of laying it of can become very high for her……Meant I had to travel a bit to get to Hills and on Sat morns after a night out …stuff that, went back to my 3 x bets

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

My favourite bet on the horses, apart from the placepot, is normally just a win single. Boring I know, but as I never back short priced ones, I find my £10 or £20 win on a 4/1 or above is quite satisfying when it wins. The downside is when I have two win singles, and they both win – I’m always left wondering why I didn’t cover them with a win double.

Overall though, I love sports betting and I will do the most obscure bets you can think of. In fact, Internet betting is great for this because if I were to put all my selections on a slip in a betting shop, there wouldn’t be enough room.

For example, before the football season started this season I placed an ante-post bet that consisted of;

2 teams in the Premiership
    4 teams in the Championship
    4 teams in League 1
    4 teams in League 2
    3 snookers players for the World Championship
    2 horses for the Cheltenham Gold Cup

It’s just a straight accumulator and one of my selections must win in all six catagories. The bet cost £76.80 (768 perms at 10p a line)

The good news is that I’m doing great in the Premiership and Championship, the snooker hasn’t started and I’ve got the ‘big two’ in the Gold Cup. The bad news is I’m doing poor in league 2, and in league 1, the highest positioned team I have out of my 4 selections is 8th :shock:

I need a miracle.

Mike

Seagull
    • Total Posts 1708

Matron
    could do

rgds

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

The one bet that overall that bookies will never promote and never advertise are of course ew doubles on the second favs in 8-9 runner races especially when the fav is odds on.

I think it would be rather odd if they did…

Bit of a mouthful for a pop up on the net or a poster in the bookies (half the pond life wouldnt have a clue what it meant anyway) :)

Fav bet? Win single…

Nothing boring about it Mickey :)

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Yo Mike….sure I spoke to the man upstairs………he reckons my Kauto Kauto double is ok.. But he says your fooked :lol: :<<<<<<<<<<<<stolen from Braveheart :wink:

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Yo Mike….sure I spoke to the man upstairs………he reckons my Kauto Kauto double is ok.. But he says your fooked :lol: :<<<<<<<<<<<<stolen from Braveheart :wink:

:lol:

Are you sure you don’t want to chage it to Denman Denman :lol:

Mike

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.