The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

What to wear on the racecourse

Home Forums Lounge What to wear on the racecourse

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 156 total)
  • Author
    cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8992

Interesting debate on Channel 4’s Morning Line this morning regarding the benefits or otherwise or the dress standards imposed by some racecourses regarding the wearing of certain items of clothing in certain enclosures.

So…

On the plus side do dress restrictions ensure that certain standards are maintained, making the raceday experience all the better, ensuring that everyone has to get dressed up and creating a real sense of occasion? Is it part of the sense of social occasion that so many people go racing for?

Or, do dress restrictions alienate an even larger section of the public who’d be delighted to go racing and pay for the privilige but don’t want to be dictated to about what they wear? No dress code at a football or rugby match.

MattWFC
    • Total Posts 2

I’m in the Club Level and it says that "gentlemen usually wear suits or similar". Is this correct? Should I wear a shirt and suit jacket or will I get away with smart casual?

PAULCS
    • Total Posts 529

<br>I always thought that it was a case of dressing for the weather….

SirHarryLewis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1213

Quote: from MattWFC on 1:16 pm on Mar. 5, 2007[br]I’m in the Club Level and it says that "gentlemen usually wear suits or similar". Is this correct? Should I wear a shirt and suit jacket or will I get away with smart casual? <br>

a big green hat, a leprechaun beard and a giant green inflatable hammer.

SHL

CarryOnRacing
    • Total Posts 48

Tweed and lots of it!

:biggrin:

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

LOL SHL

ill look out for you then

Mounty
    • Total Posts 455

I’d go for the suit option if you’re in Club, especially on Gold Cup day when people tend to make more effort.

lorddenning
    • Total Posts 39

The only pertinent dress code is a large wallet. Suits are certainly not obligatory nor in the majority.

betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2789

Personally, when at Cheltenham I go for high heels, a little off-the-shoulder number with fur stole, set off by matching stringback driving gloves.

No, hang on, that’s Hall Green dogs.

Mike

racinggirluk
    • Total Posts 232

There really is no dress code for Chelt.. But by going on what everyone else wears in Club, its suits, tweed or very smart..

If your still not sure email the course or check out there website

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6964

LMAO @ Grasshopper – post of the week, no contest (again!)

gc<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

bear
    • Total Posts 143

Brown brogues, pale blue socks, custard yellow corduroy trousers, red and white check shirt, pink tie, tweed jacket that has seen better days, and of course the battered trilby.

Won’t get you served any quicker at the bar, but you may blag it into the paddock as Nicky Henderson! Just stare the gateman in the eye and mutter "this is a serious racehorse" in your best Ronnie Corbett voice.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3177

Sports casual should be acceptable Matt

PAULCS
    • Total Posts 529

<br>Tweed just looks awful IMO – who on earth buys this stuff?

Only time I thought it looked slightly ok was when I saw a tweed jacket worn with jeans.

One thing I won’t be doing is wearing my Best Mate scarf. Spent half of Gold Cup day explaining that I supported Liverpool rather than Aston Villa and I definitely won’t risk it this year as I don’t want people thinking that I’m into West Ham:o

I’m just waiting for Racinggirluk to slaughter for me for my tweed criticisms as you’re a fan aren’t you?

MattWFC
    • Total Posts 2

So…I’m still none the wiser!! :biggrin:

zome
    • Total Posts 232

Quote: from Grasshopper on 6:06 pm on Mar. 5, 2007[br]They are trying to put you away, MattWFC.

Don’t be fooled.

The correct attire for Club is a pair of brogues, a gold lame codpiece, a Home Guard-issue gas mask, and a sou’wester.

The sou’wester should be cocked at ‘jaunty’, to complete the look. <br>

Hey!  That’s what i’m wearing!

properfences
    Participant
    • Total Posts 46

LOL at Bear!  Maybe add just a touch of rouge and some comedy vicar teeth for further authenticity?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 156 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.