The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

What has the Breeders’ Cup done to the Arc?

Home Forums Horse Racing What has the Breeders’ Cup done to the Arc?

• This topic has 52 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Luther
    • Total Posts 16

From a purely selfish point of view, I would love to see him finish his racing career at Santa Anita.

In fairness, he did not have a particularly hard race on Sunday (spent more energy in the 1st 2 furlongs than the last).

As someone said yesterday, in Chicago, Rock of Gibraltar was not beaten by the long season but by the draw and riding tactics (I know it was a different track and distance to the Classic).

As the trainer states, the BC Classic is over a month away and they do not have to rush the decision.

But this could well be the final commitment that Mick Kinane has to fulfil before hanging up his boots..

Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

It’s fitting he goes out as the winner of the Arc. Hope he doesn’t go to the States unless he’s 110% up for the race, doing it for the sake of it would do this horse of a lifetime no justice whatsoever.

Completely understand the decision to retire him after his 3yo season.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

The question is: would he be as good as Galileo at stud?
    If he would (and his breeding is just as good,if not better) then I can’t wait to see his offspring.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

I think that for him to even go there it is putting out a message of, yes he is a great racehorse but he has to win in America to prove that. Great American horses have not had to come to Europe to seal their greatness.This is not meant as a put down on American racing, which I absolutely love, especially The Breeders Cup. It’s like what Richard Burridge said of Dessie running in the Gold Cup; that he was the best horse in the country and for the Gold Cup to be the most important race in the year he needed to run in it. The Breeders Cup needs Sea the Stars more than he needs to go there. As someone said on another thread, John Oxx has always done what is best for this horse and we have to trust his judgement in this matter; total respect for the horse and his place in the history of racing….and I don’t know of any trainer that is more deserving of being written into that history; a very wise man. I’m just about to watch, yet again a re run of the race [something I have never done with flat racing before].

• Total Posts 1537

Totally agree with Moe. Horses across the pond don’t have their greatness tested by coming over here. No point in traveling thousands of miles just to give O’Brien another crack at the whip. He’s had his chances and Rachel isn’t even running, so i’d forget all about it. they don’t even like Zenyatta running outside her own state.

Don’t get me wrong, STS vs RVW in a flat 10f would be a great spectale, but like i said Oxx took him to face them all and he beat them fair and square.

• Total Posts 4293

I don’t see the point of sending him halfway round the world for some meaningless race.

Erm, Paul, aren’t you going halfway round the world for that meaningless race?

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

I don’t see the point of sending him halfway round the world for some meaningless race.

Erm, Paul, aren’t you going halfway round the world for that meaningless race?

Nope – well not this year, possibly next year.

But I travel thousands of miles each year to watch pretty cr*p racing as well – I even go to Southwell, Wolverhampton and Kempton for goodness sake.

I don’t quite see the point you are trying to make.

wordfromthewise
    Participant
    • Total Posts 478

Judging by the remaining entry it looks like the Champion Stakes has got more to fear from the Breeders Cup than the Arc………..has the look of an interesting Group 2 at best IMO.

As for STS having anything to prove? Not for me but its surely difficult for anyone not to be excited at the prospect of him running in the Breeders Cup especially when you know that unlike some other more hit and hope type of outfits John Oxx wouldn’t dream of running him if he didn’t feel he could do his best.

If he turns up it will surely be a tip in itself but he has done enough now for nothing to diminish what he has already achieved.

• Total Posts 4293

I don’t quite see the point you are trying to make.

That it is not such a meaningless race.

Having said that, I’m not all that favour in sending 3yos over for one last race – unless it has been part of the plan for a long time. They’ve generally had a long enough season (incorporating Spring, Summer and Autumn) already.

doyley
    Participant
    • Total Posts 567

Hello,

Following the discussions about The Arc and the BC, I think we must consider where the St Leger stands in the scheme of things.
    Is this race now completely obsolete? Not fit for purpose?
    It is highly unlikely we will ever see a Triple Crown winner again.. :roll:

regards,

doyley

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

I’m not sure I really want him to go to the Breeders Cup. I’m not sure exactly why but I just felt today that there was a sense of completeness.

Absolutely agree with you there – he has nothing more to prove this year and I don’t see the point of sending him halfway round the world for some meaningless race.

Presumably you are being deliberately flippant. The Breeders’ Cup Classic is a $5 Million challenge which often showcases the Eclipse Horse of the Year in USA.

As you know John Gosden didn’t think it meaningless for Raven’s Pass last year. Aidan O’Brien wants to run Rip Van Winkle and Mastercraftsman in order for them to star on one of the biggest days in racing. Giant’s Causeway was a great horse in Europe but by finishing 2nd in the Classic he paved the way to a fabulous career as a stallion in the States.

I’ve no comment to make about Sea The Stars except that John Oxx will make the right decision based on the current well being of the colt.

• Total Posts 1982

Very well put, Adrian.

It’s such a shame that we have to travel halfway across the world to compete in such a prestigious event.

Why we don’t stage an end of season championship event, showcasing a variety of our greatest talent, I don’t know.

We have all this talk about promoting racing. The difference is America acts.

The Vintner
    • Total Posts 110

Very well put, Adrian.

It’s such a shame that we have to travel halfway across the world to compete in such a prestigious event.

Why we don’t stage an end of season championship event, showcasing a variety of our greatest talent, I don’t know.

We have all this talk about promoting racing. The difference is America acts.

Is Arc weekend not a European championship event, more or less?
    The only thing it lacks is a top Mile race. You have the premier sprint, the premier end of season fillies/mare race in the Opera, premier middle distance race in the Arc, premier stayers race in the Cadran.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Presumably you are being deliberately flippant. The Breeders’ Cup Classic is a $5 Million challenge which often showcases the Eclipse Horse of the Year in USA.

Nope Adrian I was being absolutely serious. Just because it has a $5,000,000 tag does not mean the Americans can just "buy" a top race. I concede it may be the top "all weather" race in the world, but that is all it is, a glorified all weather race.

As for showcasing the Eclipse Horse of the Year in America – what relevance is that for people over here? If you have an interest in American racing then fine – if not then who cares – it is just as relevant to me as the champion racehorse in Peru or Outer Mongolia.

As you know John Gosden didn’t think it meaningless for Raven’s Pass last year. Aidan O’Brien wants to run Rip Van Winkle and Mastercraftsman in order for them to star on one of the biggest days in racing. Giant’s Causeway was a great horse in Europe but by finishing 2nd in the Classic he paved the way to a fabulous career as a stallion in the States.

Do you seriously think Gosden, O’Brien et al send their horses there for the prestige? Of course not – it is simply for the money.

If some crazy millionaire like Sir Alan Stanford set up a race at some obscure racecourse with a $5,000,000 purse then the big trainers would flock like bees round a honeypot – but that would not necessarily make it meaningful race.

I fully appreciate you are a great fan of American racing and you clearly see the BC from a different perspective than me.

It would have more appeal if it was not surrounded by the typical American hype whereby they assume because it is being held on their hallowed turf (or dirt or whatever other artificial surface they wish to use) that makes it the World Championships because it ain’t.

I certainly know, without any shadow of doubt whatsoever, if I owned a horse the class of Sea The Stars then he would not be allowed anywhere near the Breeders Cup.

But that is just my personal view and I fully accept others will disagree.

The Vintner
    • Total Posts 110

Disagree that O’Brien sends horses to the BC just for the prize money. It’s the prestige and stud value. A win in the BC Classic opens up another world for a stallion and the chance to stand in Kentucky.
    Coolmore, and many others, don’t bother sending horses to Dubai, with obscene amounts of money on the table. Likewise the Japan Cup is often is skipped.

If it was all about prize money then the Derby Italiano would be drawing better fields than the Guineas, St James etc etc.

Luther
    • Total Posts 16

I certainly know, without any shadow of doubt whatsoever, if I owned a horse the class of Sea The Stars then he would not be allowed anywhere near the Breeders Cup.

But that is just my personal view and I fully accept others will disagree.

It’s horses for courses Paul, John Oxx and the owner will make up their own minds in due course.

From my perspective (a purely selfish one), I want to have my ‘I Was There’ moment in Santa Anita in 4 weeks time.

Personally, I really don’t care about stud fees and future progeny.

Of course it could go wrong but I don’t understand why anyone would want to deny themselves the opportunity of seeing the horse in public again because there will never be another chance.

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

Is the BC not just an afterthought for SoS running on an AW dogtrack?
    Even the blinkered US fans have lost some interest in BC as it is running on "fake dirt".

Is a BC won on polytrack less meritorious than an Arc won on heavy say?

I tend to also agree with cormack and say i felt a sense of completeness too.

As for staying in training at 4, wouldnt it be the best shot in the arm this often derided sport has had for a very long time? There is naturally a lot from the sporting sense to be said for taking on a subsequent generation and beating them isnt there?

As for atud Andy…hope he performs better than george Washington…who didnt seem to like fillies very much :wink:

There is a bit of me that thinks that these owners who have more money than they could ever possibly spend should be so concerned with a few quid here and there on what is already a virtual lottery win. You can understand why….some cant understand that

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.