The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

WHAT DID YOU SEE?

Home Forums Archive Topics WHAT DID YOU SEE?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Colin Little
    • Total Posts 338

Funny that Escorial, I was going to post a similar "name the non-trier" thread about the Doncaster meeting. Loads of half-fit ones there!

I’ll offer BAHAMIAN PIRATE (D.Nicholls/A.Greaves). Certainly not trying very hard on Saturday.

You could probably make that comment about a fair number of Nicholls runners at Doncaster. He did the same thing last year as well. Seems to get away with getting them fit by running them at the races.

He has also got some decent cast offs this year, I’d been interested to see how far he can get WATCHING’S handicap mark down, ability-wise, I still think that horse is close to group class.

DJ
    • Total Posts 18

ESC- any chance of you letting us know when these are running…..for the lazy ones like me ?!!!

paul101
    • Total Posts 27

Looks like G Butler is after an easy mark for this one.

SENTINEL 9 [2] 3-9-0 V Slattery 11/2: 06:  <br>- Dwelt & al bhd: op 4/1: rtd higher 718 (debut, polytrack).  

SENTINEL [13] 3-8-7 V Slattery 20/1: 8:  <br>- Bhd, rdn/mod hdwy: op 12/1, Hector Protector colt.  <br>

guskennedy
    • Total Posts 759

Rainbow High drifted alarmingly in the market on Saturday and – surprise, surprise – was never put in the race at any stage.  It’s all very well the stable stating that his main target is the Chester Cup once again but I thought that he still had to be ridden to obtain the best possible placing in any races he takes in on the way.  

BenMore
    • Total Posts 32

Good observation on Georgia Peach Escorial. How did the Peach jump? For that is probably the reason he ran since this was his first run over hurdles I believe. The winner had a race over hurdles in Ireland.  I think they were about equal on the flat with D.Weld Both should win again this season.

raymondo
    • Total Posts 20

:cheesy: Did’nt anybody else watch NORTON in the lincoln???<br>Surefire winner next time out!<br>Good luck.:biggrin:

Gearoid VI
    • Total Posts 56

Nothern Nymph is crying out for 1 mile. The trainer knows it . They are expecting him to win NTO over 8f but yet he is entered this Thursday over 7f ! Boggles the mind !

LUKE
    • Total Posts 271

Someone mentioned Bahamian Pirate.I followed this one for a while last year and he is a tricky customer who is hard to win with.Personally I don’t back horses trained by Hannon or Nicholls and avoid Mark Johnson.

johnny boy
    • Total Posts 30

Don’t know whether the stats would back me up, but I’m always interested when a Mark "always trying" Johnson horse takes a big step up in distance.

Soba1
    • Total Posts 2

Prescott is the man to watch stepping his horses up in distance.

Regards non-triers, to echo the D Nicholls comments, Continent was so tenderly handled, he has to be of interest for something like the Wokingham. Regards Bahamian Pirate, I’d wait until the autumn for him just like the last two years.

paul101
    • Total Posts 27

Hi Esc, just like to update Sentinel’s last run comments from Superform.

5th  btn  5L 38+ <br>754    SENTINEL 3 [7] 3-9-0 S Carson (3) 16/1: 065:  <br>- Stdd start, bhd, late gains under kind ride, nrst fin: qck reapp: caught the eye under tender handling, expect significant improvement in h’caps over further.  <br>

LUKE
    • Total Posts 271

Does anyone remember the big fuss about Prokofiev at Aintree about a year and a half ago.A couple of weeks ago imagine if Rith Dubh had been beaten at Cheltenham there would have been uproar-the jockey didn’t touch him with the stick.Down To The Woods at Ascot last summer was ridden from behind without being hit he looked unlucky but it was probably his best run last season.<br>Yesterday I happened to see the meeting at Nad El Sheeba and that horse Grey Memo put in an amazing performance he was dropped out in last place and looked like tailing off only to finish like the fastest thing on four legs.<br>I certainly don’t dispute we have more then our fair share of non triers but sometimes they are reasons for a horse getting tender handling.

remittance man
    • Total Posts 63

Luke, Down To The Woods has never been a non-trier; his poor runs last season were due to viral and/or bleeding problems.  

He wasn’t knocked about at Ascot that time because he didn’t need to be: with a clear run he’d have won very nicely.

A talented horse whose problems presumably remain unsolved, given that connections let him go for £12,000 after yesterday’s canter in a Wolverhampton claimer.

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

Well Sentinel has been given a handicap mark of 52 – impressive considering he is bred to be a bit better than a selling plater. Hats off to Gerard Butler – does this not represent a good bit of training (if I was an owner I would want to give my horse the best possible chance of winnng). The trouble with this case is, if everyone has seen it he’s not going to be much of a price next time out is he?

LUKE
    • Total Posts 271

Remittance Man if you read my post again you will see I am not suggesting he was a non trier.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.