The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

What are you listening to?

Home Forums Lounge What are you listening to?

Viewing 17 posts - 137 through 153 (of 1,452 total)
  • Author
    moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

has anyone ever heard any music by Connie Dover? she’s got the most beautiful voice I’ve ever heard….

Participant
    • Total Posts 608

I’ve been listening to Passenger singing "Walk You Home" this must be the jauntiest song I’ve heard all year but listen to the lyrics, they are quite a suprise. The video is on youtube I’d recommend it to everyone.

Zoz
    • Total Posts 703

Now:

Put You In Your Place by The Sunshine Underground
    Next up: Something loud, angry and very very very onoxious. As yet undecided. Possibly by Linkin Park or off a knocked-together album of live tracks by Muse….Showbiz is a lively contender for title of "Song To Make Zoz (TEMPORARILY) Less Pissed Off With The Human Race".

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

has anyone ever heard any music by Connie Dover? she’s got the most beautiful voice I’ve ever heard….

No, but I know all about her sister Eileen.

And her brother Ben.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Zoz
    • Total Posts 703

Tis amazing what driving around most of Norfolk all day with a friend and a disk of modern classics and ancient daft rock numbers can do to elevate your mood.

"Wait for it…wait for it…..EIGHTIES SYNTH BREAKDOWN!!"

T’was a fun day. Not a bloody clue what we were listening to though.

Currently: Unconditional by The Bravery. Which earlier inspired said friend and I to beat living hell out of steering wheel / dash board bongos in time with the wonderful drumming skill of one Anthony Barulchich (I have no idea if I’ve spelt that right, nor do I care, he rules either way – not until Dom from Muse has such epic noise been created by one so little and cute of hair)

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

good to hear you’ve cheered up! I usually listen to Steve Lamacq on Monday nights but radio playing up a bit, so am watching video tapes of v. old races instead…

The Wizard
    • Total Posts 92

Today, whilst painting my kitchen, I listened to the following magical albums, recorded 30 years apart:

Locanda Delle Fate – Forse Le Lucciole Non Si Amano Più (1977)

Review below courtesy of ProgArchives:

Locanda delle Fate was an Italian band from Asti that had been playing covers and listening to other prog band’s music for a long time before the release of this album with their own compositions… You can find here many influences but all these influences are blended together with a romantic and “original touchâ€

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

This morning I have been digging some fave 70s albums out of the stronghold here at Grayson Towers, specifically;

Brian Eno – Before and After Science

Just predating his Ambient albums, this is the point at which prog, pop, early synth-pop and experimentalism all collide to best effect. The riotous Kings Lead Hat (an anagram of Talking Heads. Do you see?) would hold its own on alternative dancefloors to this day. Drums throughout by Phil Collins, but don’t let that put you off.

See also the Taking Tiger Mountain by Strategy album, in which he pretty much invents Super Furry Animals, drops the lyrics from which both A Certain Ratio and Burning Airlines took their names, and invites other chums such as the venerable Robert Wyatt along for the ride.

Jean-Michel Jarre – Oxygene

Dig those ARP synthesizers! By turns haunting and expansive, and not all that dated-sounding notwithstanding the fact it is 31 years old now. Can’t find my CD of Equinox, though. Meh.

Kraftwerk – Autobahn / Trans Europe Express / Radioactivity

Vrrrrrrroooooommm!!! Screeeeeeeeee!!! Clank! Parp parp! Boink! They could set a Maplin catalogue to music and make me lis…. oh hang on, I think they already have.

Black Sabbath – Paranoid

Remember him this way. Lean, primal, still reasonably compus mentis, and in front of a heavy rock combo at the peak of its powers. Still can’t hear Iron Man without thinking of Beavis and Butt-Head chanting along to it, though.

Jeremy
    (graysonscolumn)

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

reetpetite
    • Total Posts 54

Currently listening to "Hourglass", the new album from Dave Gahan, lead singer of Depeche Mode. I’m very impressed :D !

His first solo album, "Paper Monsters" was excellent and was well received by critics. That was more rock orientated whereas "Hourglass" has a more synth based sound which you would expect from a member of Depeche Mode.

Sadly, there won’t be a tour to promote the album as Depeche Mode are currently in the studio making a new album. It’s a shame as I saw him twice live on the Paper Monsters tour and his solo act is awesome 8) .

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

going off at a tangent again [sorry]heard the other day that our local independant record store, Reveal Records is to close down. If ever I want to find something obscure or just go in and say I’d heard a song on the radio at 11.30 Tuesday night and have they got any idea who it was by and can you get it for me [yes they would know and yes they could get it] – all of these little shops are closing down and I think it’s awful. What is Nick Hornby going to write books about in the future…

Kingston Town
    • Total Posts 1049

The Smiths – current track Hang The DJ …… (very boppy isn’t it? :lol: )

cloudy
    • Total Posts 3

Blackbird – new album by Alter Bridge (ex-Creed)

Kingston Town
    • Total Posts 1049

Travis – Why does it always rain on me?

This is as I deal with the chipmunks at the Straits Times who have carved up two articles and in the process got everything wrong……… I need an espresso :shock:

Zoz
    • Total Posts 703

Currently: Pull The Pin by the Phonics
    Next up: New Foos album

All in anticipation (gleeful anticipation at that!!) of running away tomorrow with the other half and friends to see both bands in the space of two nights…….

Eeek!!!! :D 8)

(Yes, I’m in smug mode)

Oi Graysons….want me to steal Taylor Hawkins for you to wrap up and present to Mrs Column for Christmas?

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Aw Zoz, that’d be fantastic, thanks!

But pur-leaze remember to drill some air holes in the box to let this one breathe, will you? I’m still having to fob off Mrs Column as to why she hasn’t received that Matt Bellamy impersonator I promised her yet, and why the wheelybin was so heavy one week last December…

gc

Zoz
    • Total Posts 703

Alright, I’ll make sure he’s safely posted, if I can inspect the goods first

C’mon, fair’s fair!!!!

• Total Posts 1268

Is it wrong to go and see a band that you don’t really like simply because your mate has got you into a private corporate box with free food and drink (courtesy of CAMRA) thrown in?

I am faced with just such a moral dilemma and need fibrous guidance…

:? :?: :?

Viewing 17 posts - 137 through 153 (of 1,452 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.