The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

What are you listening to?

Home Forums Lounge What are you listening to?

Viewing 17 posts - 698 through 714 (of 1,452 total)
  • Author
    moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

Just got Mumford and Sons ‘Sigh no More’ from my son; got quite an American feel to it [assume they’re British]. Always puts me off an album when it’s advertised on the telly, but must admit I’m very impressed with what I’ve heard so far. [also got a Harrods notepad for writing my racing scribbles on; far too good for that and wouldn’t last five minutes with the amount of scribbles that float around my desk!].

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Not heard anything from The Ting Tings for a while.

They spent most of 2009 slaying America, still with the same dozen or so songs from "We Started Nothing".

Some of the lengths they went to were unusual to the say the least. One lucrative gig was an Adidas "paint party", wherein they and all the attendees turned up in white Adidas tracksuits and spent the evening painting the venue (similarly all white) and just as importantly each other whilst a live set was played (presumably on paint-proof instruments).

No word of any new material as yet, and clearly a big task on to live up to expectations and avoid Second Album Syndrome.

Let’s see what happens.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Just got Mumford and Sons ‘Sigh no More’ from my son; got quite an American feel to it [assume they’re British].

Yep, part of the same London folk scene which begat Noah & The Whale, Laura Marling, Johnny Flynn and Jay Jay Pistolet, apparently.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNBWf54RvsI

:D

One of my favourite Queen tracks – splendidly daft!

gc

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Patrick Wolf; blimey, how many influences can one guy handle…
    Hope his stuff is easier to purchase than Hazels

It is. He’s signed to his own independent label Bloody Chamber (presume that’s an Angela Carter reference – I hope it is!), but seems to have little trouble getting product into shops. Even the back catalogue released on other labels, such as the superb debut Lycanthropy (released on Tomlab, home of Casiotone for the Painfully Alone to this day), was easy to find via Napster or MP3skyline when I last checked.

Incidentally, at the time of writing I own 43 of the songs on my list, and know how to get hold of all the remainder barring Cassetteboy and Alan Pownall (which just get played to death on Youtube instead for the time being).

Have never got to see Eliza; we never seem to be in the same place at the same time, although I’ve been buying her stuff for years. Remember the old saying..if you plan to marry someone see what the mother looks like first…..

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

gc

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

At the moment i am intending to buy Leddra Chapmans album Telling Tales.

Her current track Story is getting good Radio 2 airplay and is a nice well written track.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228
    moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

I like the third one; Raphael is very cute!!

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Mick Ronson – Slaughter On 10th Avenue

&

June Tabor – Ashes and Diamonds

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Avatar photoPeter Poston’s Ghost
    Participant
    • Total Posts 553

Help required if possible.

During the BBC2 programme last night "History of Now:Story of the Noughties" Episode 2 "All Together Now" one of the tunes played was a beautiful piece of swirling lush strings music with occasional flute interludes. I think that the music in question is used as a sample in a modern chillout number.
    The effect is like a piece of 60’s French film soundtrack music.

If you think you can help (GC?) you can hear it by using BBC iPlayer on this link;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00psrnm

and go to 25.25 mins into the show. It’s there in the background for a couple of minutes.

Thanks in advance.

Participant
    • Total Posts 553

For anyone feeling the cold, listen to this beauty :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgdLDSjfXO8

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Help required if possible.

During the BBC2 programme last night "History of Now:Story of the Noughties" Episode 2 "All Together Now" one of the tunes played was a beautiful piece of swirling lush strings music with occasional flute interludes. I think that the music in question is used as a sample in a modern chillout number.
    The effect is like a piece of 60’s French film soundtrack music.

If you think you can help (GC?) you can hear it by using BBC iPlayer on this link;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00psrnm

and go to 25.25 mins into the show. It’s there in the background for a couple of minutes.

Thanks in advance.

Wasn’t this, was it, PPG?

KINOBE ft BEN AND JASON – Slip into Something
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8O1NVKd … re=related

Samples chunks of 60s bossa nova hit "Girl from Ipanema", but was released itself as recently as 2000. Co-vocalist Jason Hazeley is now a writer for everything from The Framley Examiner to Viz.

gc

Participant
    • Total Posts 553

Thanks GC. Knew I could rely on you :D

Further investigations show that the main sample is taken from "From Here To Eternity" by none other than Englebert :shock:

This link has both songs side-by-side.

http://www.whosampled.com/sample/view/6 … 0Eternity/

Participant
    • Total Posts 1751

Short introduction that always reminds me of a silent summers evening gently floating down a canal on a boat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfHxgxgwN-Q

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

I’ve been watching the series of programmes about Elvis on BBC4; although I used to go to the cinema to see his films when I was a kid I’ve never bought any of his music and have never gone out of my way to listen to it. However, this series has made me realise that I have greatly underestimated him as a singer and performer, and have also underestimated his intelligence. Still don’t particularly want to listen to his music, but after all these years have discovered that he has got the most amazing voice. [Or perhaps it’s that I’ve had a really long day at work and I’ve got an early start tomorrow and I’m a bit spaced out..].

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

I’m not a huge fan of his oevre, but Elvis sings Gospel as well as any black man or woman I’ve ever heard…..and that’s the truth, Bobby.

As well as having a beautiful and unique singing voice, Elvis was also first in line when God was handing out the hair and noses to blokes.

Elvis died eating a hamburger whilst on the crapper. I submit this is ample evidence to support the theory of an invisible force moving in mysterious ways beyond our mortal comprehension, to restore balance to the Universe.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Elvis’s ’68 concert was a seminal and defining moment in his career, in my opinion.

It bridged the gap between the youthful, energetic, bee bop a lula Elvis and the bloated, drug addled, cabaret performing crooner that he became, and highlighted his enormous talent.

Like Moehat, I wasn’t really a fan as such but I did appreciate his talent. He must also have been the most generous popstar who has ever lived. He gave away fortunes to family, friends and hangers-on.

Anyhow, no wooden heart or jailhouse rock for me this evening – I’ve opted instead for some other Americans; Spirit – The Twelve Dreams Of Dr Sardonicus. Brilliant album. 8)

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Viewing 17 posts - 698 through 714 (of 1,452 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.