The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Well done Wigmore Hall

Home Forums Horse Racing Well done Wigmore Hall

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17722

A year and a half ago I remarked (to Drone, I think) that I felt Wigmore Hall could be the next Teleprompter. Certainly, due to his running style that first international Grade 1 has been a long time coming, but it all worked out beautifully tonight in the Northern Dancer at Woodbine. Well done to all connections!

Same tactic’s just gone horribly wrong for Jamie Spencer in the Woodbine Mile, in which Dance and Dance looked much the best horse and got no run at all, but with Wigmore Hall thankfully the cards fell right – at a trip he’s been crying out for.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7835

Who rode him? Bet Hayley’s even more brassed off about her injury now.

KenhKenh
    Participant
    • Total Posts 738

Thought it was great result and Spencer gave a great ride. As you say he tried the same tactics later but that didn’t work out for him. Wouldn’t criticise him for that ride though, unfortunately the horses never broke to give him the gap. These things happen.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17722

Who rode him? Bet Hayley’s even more brassed off about her injury now.

I suspect Spencer would have been on board tonight in any case, Moe.

JJMSportsJJMSports
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2036

Don’t like giving the man credit, but great ride from JP Spencer. Dance and Dance got no run at all, and definitely goes in the notebook, and has to be backed next time out.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17722

Don’t like giving the man credit, but great ride from JP Spencer. Dance and Dance got no run at all, and definitely goes in the notebook, and has to be backed next time out.

He really was running all over them, and it was painful to watch! I suspect though though that

Dance and Dance

might have been flattered by (trying to) come through at the end of what looked visually to be a gruelling, fierce pace from well before the turn in.

Fortune on

Side Glance

found himself giving away ground on the outside right through the race, and might be considered a little unlucky too – but I wouldn’t blame him for the way the cards fell, and he played his hand positively.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

One should not be waiting for gaps to appear. Ride on the outside if you don’t have a position to take you home.I keep thinking of Lester and Royal Academy in the BC.Always take up a position that you can win from. No depending on gaps or other jockeys to let you get home.Oliver Peslier in the Leger could not get a run because he needed the help of other jockeys to get him out of the position he took up.

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1234

A great call Pinza.
    Equally a great ride from Spencer.
    If it works it looks great, equally it can prove to be a negative having to ride around American tracks that are the flat, dirt equivalent of Chester.
    You cannot simply ride around the outside as it is quite possible to be pushed 5 or 6 wide on the entrance to the straight and lose dozens of lengths.
    Credit where credit is due to Spencer

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Believe me the option is not necessary coming four or five wide depending on how the race is run.If you are in the first three coming around the final bend you can control your destiny.If you have not gotten your position by then you must go wide, that is the price you pay.Also you can wait until the straight if you have to and not try to make up the ground around the bend. One seldom sees more than three horses hitting the line together.Spencer must learn not to depend on the kindness of strangers.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17722

Also you can wait until the straight if you have to and not try to make up the ground around the bend.

Of course you can, as you can at Chester. The problem though with top class races is that everything has some turn of foot, and will be accelerating off the bend into these short straights. So your policy does not work.

Late closers in Group races at Chester, Woodbine or any other US track can’t go wide, in most races. Unless the jockey sticks to the inside (and hopes) their chance is going to be negligible, even if they’re on Pegasus.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Exactly Pinza. Your last sentence and mine are in total harmony.The "hopes" and the "kindness of others" is how average jockeys get winners going where they should not go.Top class jockeys make their own success. Incidentally I said "if you have to" it is not intended as a policy.A good jockey does not "have to" very often.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.