The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Well done Henry

Home Forums Horse Racing Well done Henry

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17718

A truly brilliant moment in racing history, may he have many more.<br>It speaks volumes for the affection he is held in that no one has a bad word for him – even on the Betfair forum, would you believe?:cool:

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

A little over the top with the great man stuff. A great trainer without a doubt. But his record as a man is not without some blemishes. Was he not found  having shady encounters with Tattersalls sales? Did he not violate the rules of racing by asking his owners (in writing) to fork up extra money to pay for Lester’s rides. Was he not found by the police drunk  in his car under very suspicious circumstances. Did he not foster accusations that K.Fallon was interfering with his marriage? So lets stay in the real world. A great trainer yes yes yes. But a great man I don’t think so. Just an ordinary man like the rest of us.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17718

Andyod

Proper little ray of sunshine, aren’t you.:biggrin: <br>Doubt you’ll ever compete wih him in the popularity stakes though!

doyley
    Participant
    • Total Posts 567

Hello andy,

I agree his private life has been a disaster, part brought on by himself, and others have damaged him. <br>But let him have his day, and let the plaudits rain in. :)

There is some excellent material about Henry’s life that would complete an entire Documentary series, and even a TV mini series…but the primary ingredient within those scripts is the fact he is one of the best, and successful, Horse Trainers of all Time…hence this  Thread of Congratulations…. :)

Discussions on his private life would need an entire site not just a topic!!! :)

regards,

doyley

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2728

:old:

I crept up behind the big Hen<br> at a racetrack<br> when he thought he was <br> alone with a woman.<br> There was no pecking just a swan neck and<br> I tilted my ear for a bit of private and heard<br> A stooping man who plays with half a plum in his mouth.<br> He was talking about his kids education and which school<br> so I wasn’t likely to gamble on that<br> I presume the lady was his wife<br> and I remember<br> he smoked a cigarette<br> as if it was a lung extension.

Certainly a character in racing<br> and wears a topper rather well <br> However the predeliction for italian ties<br> shows the fussy perfectionist<br> and prefectionism <br> especially traded in the rough theatre<br> of racing can easily lead to depression,<br> and so we have a likeable man<br> who unlike Stoute has weaknesses

Maxilon 5Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

Hear hear, Gamble.

It speaks volumes for the affection he is held in that no one has a bad word for him – even on the Betfair forum, would you believe?

RH, another certainty to go alongside Death, Taxes and Kauto Star in the Gold Cup…

…there’s always one!

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2728

Agree agree

I do know the ol’ chitty boards well Max<br> and aren’t they stuffed full of Tom Dooley’s<br> who can hang a man <br> before breakfast<br> and before the herring has reached the gallows.

Must say<br> had Reference Point won the Arc<br> and I was dismissive of its chances,<br> I believe Henry would have married the horse<br> and Warren Place might have had<br> some rather strange inhabitants :cool:

<br> flatcapgamble…oh so sharp ;)

(Edited by gamble at 10:55 am on June 2, 2007)

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

At least he turns brown on the Sunbed, unlike Chapmans orange glow.:cheesy:

Zorro
    • Total Posts 472

Gamble, your 10.20 post is superb.<br>Madman, your last one’s unfair. HRAC turns brown in the sun.:cool:

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2728

<br>:old:<br>Zorro, greetings, and many thanks for the perlative,<br> and I wish you a very nice afternoon<br>with pen and horse :)

Strangely enough the Cecil following<br> happened some time in the eighties<br> and my guess would have been midweek Ascot<br> and some far rail on the course<br> a picnic atmosphere far, far away from madding.<br> It was a lovely day, guess the fourth race,<br> beating sun,<br> and the spring was in my foot.<br> I have always taken a turn to Cecil’s mannerisms, <br> particularly his hesitantly crouched, standing interview, <br> side face on – usually left cheek to camera,<br> where he tilts his chin up, half closes,<br> then raises up his sombre eyes,<br> as if consulting with the greater racing god.<br> If only the pope could do that<br> just think of the millions more in the plate,<br> and the Xtra accounts the Vatican could open with it.

As for stalking people I am rather prone.<br> Past casualties for my over eager feet<br> have been a post ..’erm Norman Lamont;<br> a half a mile treck over the flat pavements of Notting Hill<br> – he did look behind twice -<br> Autumn afternoon, he wore a white non-crease mac,<br> and I even had the gumption after the double spot<br> to lean over him awkwardly to <br> check the destination he was looking at<br> in the travel agent’s window – blair country ‘ Blarbados ‘

A late night Patrick Troughton – the old doctor- through London’s theatreland, also caught my tiger feet, and the illegal activity was punctuated by a police siren which actually made me wonder, but he was a small man in a hurry with a lady in tow with nice eyes and me ten yards adrift with stalks.<br>  

flatcapgamble… far from the madding Maddens;)

hoofskihoofski
    • Total Posts 103

Maybe it’s an age thing, but I’m actually starting to enjoy Gamble’s posts!:o

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Gamble’s making more sense these days… I thought he’d lost his Mojo for a while but perhaps its just a more mature Gamble these days.. Either that or he’s met a woman? ;) :biggrin:

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2728

I am eating a different type of cheese

<br>flatcapgamble..mojorella, or to you two double *osser

a short horse riddle… If a horse wins the Tom Fool Handicap does its value go up or clown ?

carlislecarlisle
    • Total Posts 772

you should know.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Quote: from gamble on 2:25 pm on June 5, 2007[br]     :old:

I am eating a different type of cheese

<br>flatcapgamble..mojorella, or to you two double *osser

a short horse riddle… If a horse wins the Tom Fool Handicap does its value go up or clown ?<br>

Stilton? Perhaps the penicillin in the mould is curing gambility? ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.