The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Unusual 'Comments In Running'

Home Forums Horse Racing Unusual 'Comments In Running'

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    non vintage
    • Total Posts 1268

From time to time there are some really strange comments written up after races. Maybe we could compile a best of? Today’s personal current favourite (just seen)…

<span style=”color: purple;”>1 Luas Line <br>pressed leader, led well over 1f out, drifted slightly after colliding with a goose 1f out, driven out </span>

IRSHEYEZ
    • Total Posts 223

1 Vague Idea <br>badly hampered and unseated rider 3rd, remounted to continue a fence behind until closed and joined leader 14th, led 3 out, drew clear next

I liked this 1 too i remember the race, Jodie Mogford wasnt to impressed with Paul Flynn after the race as he give Jamie Moore a footy up.

FlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

Hardly a classic but relevant to tomorrows racing:

3 Electrocutionist <br>settled in 8th, taken to outside and headway 2f out, ridden under 1 1/2f out, one pace when struck by rival’s whip over 1f out, finished 4th, placed 3rd

Considering Electrocutionist’s only other loss was by a nose to Shirocco on sot ground I think he has a good chance tomorrow.

Librettist
    • Total Posts 559

That’s the Kiss of death then FSL!

I’m worried about the course for Electrocutionist. If he is held up he only has just over 2f to gather himself in the home straight and mount a challenge, and i’m not sure that’ll be long enough. Looks a lay to me.

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

not recent but not to be forgotton :

Ballinger Ridge<br>led, soon 10 lengths clear, <br>shaken up briefly over 1f out, <br>jockey looked round and stopped riding,<br>ridden final 100yds, caught on line

and one that obviously needs amending by some people on this forum (I’ve added the last line for them) :

Sir Percy<br>held up in midfield, 11th straight,<br>good progress and switched to inner 2f out,<br>ran on well and squeezed through final<br>furlong to lead last 50 yards,<br>a freakishly lucky winner

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

I don’t recall the name of the horse, but a particular hunter chase commentary in the West Country a few years back read something like "prominent; led 4 out; 20 lengths clear when rider looked round and fell off after last"

Happy Jack
    Participant
    • Total Posts 515

Some good ones from recent point-to-points

Gilded Palace "Rider fell off 1 (horse galloped down road hotfoot for the M40)"

Belligerent "Walked over (twice – the 1st time 5 mins before advertised off when Judge was not in position!)"

Lord Youky "Not fluent 5, sn well behind, 26L 6th & struggling 11, changed legs appr 13 & rider flew off on take off side in her inimitable style (horse jumped all the other fences beautifully without the encumbrance)"

Dromin "Very scrawny, rider drinking from polystyrene cup & admiring orange repair work on colours of stablemate in paddock, 9th when u.r 4"

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

I don’t know where to look for race reports for Aussie races though the following is about a race I read about in the Metro newspaper last year which beats the goose story by a few horses, riders and a flock

Updated: 2:02 p.m. ET April 1, 2005<br>Five jockeys tumbled from their mounts and a race was declared void after a flock of seagulls flew into a dozen horses at the Sandown race way in the southern city of Melbourne on Thursday. In fading light for the last race of the day, the gallopers were on the home straight approaching the finish when the seagulls flew into the horses, forcing many to shy away and toss their riders.

Five jockeys were injured, including apprentice Brady Cross, who broke his left arm.

dandan
    • Total Posts 199

A few months back a horse ran over fences in England; can`t remember the track or horse unfortunately, but it had previously run in Germany in a race which had a lake in the middle of it…. in-running was something to the effect of…

settled mid division, improved when swam lake 5f out, blah blah…..

I thought that was hilarious!! Anyone remember the horse?

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Quote: from Happy Jack on 10:23 am on June

Dromin "Very scrawny, rider drinking from polystyrene cup & admiring orange repair work on colours of stablemate in paddock, 9th when u.r 4"<br>

<br>That’s psychic, HJ – I was going to post the self same entry up myself! Patrick Millington strikes again!

gc<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

Quote: from dandan on 12:38 pm on June 21, 2006[br]A few months back a horse ran over fences in England; can`t remember the track or horse unfortunately, but it had previously run in Germany in a race which had a lake in the middle of it…. in-running was something to the effect of…

settled mid division, improved when swam lake 5f out, blah blah…..

I thought that was hilarious!! Anyone remember the horse?<br>

I saw that race on SIS (the Hamburg one) was in stitches for 3 hours in work afterwards.

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8798

Brilliant thread –

Love the goose one but the Dromin one ttakes a bit of beating –

‘polystyrene cup’!!!!! Classic.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

I think the goose happened at belmont. Luas line won if i recall last September

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Another couple of good’uns from the pointing arena;

MACKOY backward; weight cloth tied on with baler twine in an attempt to avert previous disasters; 2nd to 5; 15l 4th 7; t.o 11; crawled on at quarter speed & patted home by veteran rider

BUCKINGHAM BILL started very slowly; jumped very slow 2; t.o til refused and unseated rider next (spooked by Millington suddeny appearing from behind a bush)<br>

(Edited by graysonscolumn at 8:06 pm on July 20, 2006)

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

There was one in Timeform’s Racehorses of 1996 that went something like:

"Horse dumped jockey and bolted having been spooked by yobs celebrating Shearer’s goal" (aah, Euro 1996: happy days…)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.