The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

TRF

Home Forums Lounge TRF

Viewing 17 posts - 86 through 102 (of 105 total)
  • Author
    stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

I think for too long the site has suffered from an unwelcome self-congratulatory tone. Too often ‘established’ posters (whoever they are, even the term drips with condescension) remark on how great the forum is, how learned people are, how respected individuals are. Sorry, but the constant back-slapping is tiresome.

My second gripe is when the so-called ‘famous’ racing folk post and the rush to genuflection that always follows. The best example of this is whenever Lydia Hislop contributes. I’m absolutely certain that some posters are secretly thinking ‘hmm, if I say something nice to Lydia then perhaps I’ll get up one morning and have a private message from La Hislop thanking me for my contribution and suggesting a little cosy meet-up somewhere.’ She’s female, she sometimes posts on here – that’s all!

I’ve used her as an example because the response to her is the most nauseating but there are others on here who may have worked in the game, written a couple of books and suddenly they’re responded to as if they’ve just discovered a cure for cancer.

New people have joined. Jockeys are getting stick/abuse on a far more regular basis. I don’t agree with most of it and I’ve posted my view. Can’t really understand why it’s such a big issue.

Six pages about next to nothing. It would save considerable time if people just read the above which hits several nails on the head.

I have been a member for quite a time and have always got the impression that there are several members (‘established contributors’?) who view this forum as their own play thing. It is not hard for the newbies to realise who they are and this thread certainly provides a few clues.

The bottom line is that a post that one person considers edge of the seat stuff is pants to another. Thankfully racing is not all about a two page analysis of a seven furlong handicap.

I have no problems with jockeys getting stick because so many journalists will shirk the issue. Of course there is no point posting if it has been flagged up elsewhere. In itself a posting on here is hardly going to be career threatening is it? As an example Dandino just got beat because Mulrenan was outridden by Moore but did anyone bother to mention it?

Ardrossthegreat
    • Total Posts 303

I think for too long the site has suffered from an unwelcome self-congratulatory tone. Too often ‘established’ posters (whoever they are, even the term drips with condescension) remark on how great the forum is, how learned people are, how respected individuals are. Sorry, but the constant back-slapping is tiresome.

My second gripe is when the so-called ‘famous’ racing folk post and the rush to genuflection that always follows. The best example of this is whenever Lydia Hislop contributes. I’m absolutely certain that some posters are secretly thinking ‘hmm, if I say something nice to Lydia then perhaps I’ll get up one morning and have a private message from La Hislop thanking me for my contribution and suggesting a little cosy meet-up somewhere.’ She’s female, she sometimes posts on here – that’s all!

I’ve used her as an example because the response to her is the most nauseating but there are others on here who may have worked in the game, written a couple of books and suddenly they’re responded to as if they’ve just discovered a cure for cancer.

New people have joined. Jockeys are getting stick/abuse on a far more regular basis. I don’t agree with most of it and I’ve posted my view. Can’t really understand why it’s such a big issue.

Six pages about next to nothing. It would save considerable time if people just read the above which hits several nails on the head.

I have been a member for quite a time and have always got the impression that there are several members (‘established contributors’?) who view this forum as their own play thing. It is not hard for the newbies to realise who they are and this thread certainly provides a few clues.

The bottom line is that a post that one person considers edge of the seat stuff is pants to another. Thankfully racing is not all about a two page analysis of a seven furlong handicap.

I have no problems with jockeys getting stick because so many journalists will shirk the issue. Of course there is no point posting if it has been flagged up elsewhere. In itself a posting on here is hardly going to be career threatening is it? As an example Dandino just got beat because Mulrenan was outridden by Moore but did anyone bother to mention it?

Amen to that my man

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

As an example Dandino just got beat because Mulrenan was outridden by Moore but did anyone bother to mention it?

Slightly O/T I know … but as an interested party, who was watching Dandino intensely throughout the race, I don’t think your assertion holds water. Mulrennan rode a good race on Dandino, tracking Moore (whom he rightly reckoned was his chief danger) and holding station easily.

Letting Moore have first run wasn’t a worry because Dandino has a superior turn of foot to Rebel Soldier, but at the crucial moment as Moore kicked, Dandino couldn’t respond as he didn’t come down the Goodwood hill too well and flailed around for a few strides on the loose-topped watered ground before getting going and finishing like the proverbial train. He’s still not quite the finished article, and there looks to be more to come. Arctic Cosmos behind him similarly didn’t cope with the hill, unlike the winner.

The result was fair, and Rebel Soldier was the deserving winner, so I don’t think you’ll find many Elites moaning about Mulrennan’s ride: he’s been the making of the colt thus far, and I think there’d be ructions if he got jocked off now for the Leger. The main thing was that Dandino got his first bit of black type and proved himself better than handicap class, without getting too hard a race.

A Leger place looks a distinct possibility, and most of the bookies have him 8-1 joint third favourite with Snow Fairy and Cape Blanco, behind Rewilding and Midas Touch. Thrills in prospect…. not bad progress from an early Redcar maiden!

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

There has never been an online forum yet, where the Newbies didn’t feel a certain condescension from the Oldies. It’s the nature of the beast. What tends to happen is that the Newbies who stick around long enough eventually become Oldies, and will wander what all the fuss is about when the next batch of Newbies start posts like this.

What’s pretty-much encumbent on everyone, is to try and makes posts reasonably interesting…..or informative….or entertaining. These are the ultimate arbiters of a threads worth, and those that don’t deliver on at least one of them, tend to drift off the page fairly readily. Whilst endless "Jockey X is bent" posts don’t really help achieve the quality we would all like, they would only ever be moderated away if Corm thought the discussion placed TRF in a difficult spot – otherwise they are free to continue.

It’s the same with Oldie versus Newbie threads. Mildly entertaining in a spleen-venting way (as a Moderator, I’m compelled by Corm to don a blazer, flannels and a rather splendid false-moustace whenever I’m about to read one), but the arguments – for what they are – fizzle out quickly, as everyone gets to understand each other a little better…..or choose who they will and won’t ignore.

This thread is a seasonal storm-in-a-tea-cup – nothing more.

Now….will all the good guys please line up on the right, and all the wan*kers please line up on the left….so we know who everyone is. Ithangyew. 8)

conundrum
    • Total Posts 416

Personally, Grasshopper, I prefer the ambidextrous method.

bucketnut
    • Total Posts 63

As a good guy who’s prone to the odd bit of bishop-bashing, I’ll form an orderly queue up the middle.

Stu

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

See…two informative posts.

• Total Posts 2390

What’s pretty-much encumbent on everyone, is to try and makes posts reasonably interesting…..or informative….or entertaining.

Oh dear, that’s me ******. I’m off to the left :?

conundrum
    • Total Posts 416

Grasshopper wrote….as a Moderator, I’m compelled by Corm to don a blazer, flannels and a rather splendid false-moustace whenever I’m about to read one

That’s what I respect about you Grasshopper, you’re an INVINCIBLE SOUL(2.15) but do you think we could all do with a hug-in and some GROUP THERAPY(2.45)? You could don your hippy gear and sing AGE OF AQUARIUS(3.25) to us. Then we could end up at MYPLACELATER(4.00), smoke a bit of MAGICAL FLOWER(4.35) and listen to Corm’s classic collection of songs by GENE AUTRY(5.10).

• Total Posts 16

even rubbish at tipping lol

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Now….will all the good guys please line up on the right, and all the wan*kers please line up on the left….so we know who everyone is. Ithangyew. 8)

At last check, my digits remain unbeschlonged, so I shall take a stride to the right, ta.

Couldn’t disagree too much with Grasshopper’s succinct evaluation of intra-forum behaviour and relationships. I’d further suggest that if the volume of "jockey X is a useless Y"-type threads are such anathema to either the longer standing or more sober members of the Forum, then the best response to those threads remains the same as it ever did – overwhelm them by posting stuff of more merit more often. It’s not as if this barking, maddening, visceral sport of ours doesn’t provide the raw material to do so on a daily basis. Don’t get mad, get creating. 8)

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

Someone summed it up earlier for me – place is so (too) big now in terms of sub sections and in terms of sheer number of threads (often on the same topic) posted by members who I dont recognise or who wont stick around for long – all in all alot of work.

But that could just be me being lazy.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5686

These houses are volatile
    and subject to change.
    There is a core or backbone
    of posters that can be relied on
    to faithfully produce,
    however,
    if there is a sudden deluge,
    and rattlers* drop from the sky,
    rattlers who feed ever so lightly on bone,
    clouds gather above
    and the house weathers a storm
    that will settle new directions
    and resettle the old
    or form new bone.

I was once a rattler
    I know :mrgreen:

Grayson can be commended
    on his reply. Steeped
    in victorian principle,
    it seems the right answer,
    especially in a world
    where the church mattered
    and the town hall carried
    its brick with pride,
    where the starched shirt ruled
    and the right cufflinks were applied
    before a lonesome walk
    in an empty park
    devoid of strarving rotties
    and a one person nod
    covered by a hankie
    suggested, someone
    cared about

you

The fact is the world has changed.
    There are now gangs in the park
    with no teeth and walking wolves.
    The exponential birth rate
    is eating at morality as I write.
    Five cameras or a kickass
    shiny jackboot,
    is needed on every corner
    just so the eighty year old
    ex nurse can get her beauty
    sleep and wake up to soft eggs
    and the relic butter dish
    her mother left her in her
    trouble free will.

You all have short memories
    I go back nine years.

David Marshall

played by the
    rules, and sucked every so lightly
    on backbone,
    and little by little,
    little by little,
    there was soon nothing left
    but a fluttter
    ing heart

* My refernce to rattlers
    is not part, partic,
    particularly, picking
    out any feral groups at large
    in this house.

Also grayson’s more modern,
    moralistic view
    maybe the more acceptable –
    while there’s still enough
    air to go around.

you decide

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

Is it just me, or has the registered users pop up at the start gone down 400 users in the last week?

Participant
    • Total Posts 6856

Is it just me, or has the registered users pop up at the start gone down 400 users in the last week?

Answer, yes.

Cormack has got rid of some of the "pharmacy" and "adult" entrepreneurs.

Regards
    :cool:

conundrum
    • Total Posts 416

….and "adult" entrepreneurs

Ah, that’s not fair. I enjoyed reading posts from Nathan Hughes.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

JJM – yes, just a partial cull of unused accounts to tidy things up a bit. More to be done on that front but it’s not the highest priority.

Viewing 17 posts - 86 through 102 (of 105 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.