The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

TRF

Home Forums Lounge TRF

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 105 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

Established forum members?

Hahaha

For crying out loud

Pinza, you need to have a word with yourself

pal

, same goes for conundrum.

I’ve had numerous personal messages in the last week; not gonna say who nut they’ve all said to ignore any grief or abuse I’ve taken, I come on here for a bit of fun, which is how it should be.

If you take things that serious I’ll call it a day on here,

pathetic

really.

Matthew,

I too quite like some of your posts.
    But too many have this antagonistic approach.
    I’ve "bolded" words above that are not neccessary to make your point. Pinza has a point of view that may be you don’t like, but so what? He’s allowed to have an opinion as you are.

I know I am not that great at putting my thoughts in to words.

It’s also important to forget what’s happened on one thread when going on to another. I had a "run in" with Cav a while ago. But I think we’ve both treated each other with respect since.

I know when I first came on here, I did not quite know how to take some people (Fist and Reet for two). But once you get to know how they post, it’s easier to understand them without getting aggitated. Am sure they’d say the same about me. Think as a forum, we do have to be careful with newbies not to judge them too early. Give them a chance to change.

Edit: I wrote this post before I saw Pinza’s reply.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

It’s also important to forget what’s happened on one thread when going on to another. I had a "run in" with Cav a while ago. But I think we’ve both treated each other with respect since.

Only the one, Ginge? :mrgreen:

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

The important thing with a forum imo is to speak to people as you would if you met them face to face and without the protection of anonymity. You can have a disagreement about someone and still be polite about it. I’m finding this flat season very tired, and that doesn’t help.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

Only the one, Ginge? :mrgreen:

:lol:

Well, I didn’t like to say.

Value Is Everything
    bagnallc
    • Total Posts 132

C)

Pocket Talking

– unique to gambling fora. You don’t generally get posts like "I ******* hate my rhodedendrons: They didn’t bloom ORANGE enough!" on http://www.mygardenworld.com/forum. At least I haven’t seen any.

Very amusing and very true :lol:

In general all id say is criticisms etc can be amusing and worthwhile if they are based on a topic and behind each view is a discussed opinion/thought. They in fact can make good entertainment and provide fine reading.

The same goes for started topics. Posting "xyz is a s**te jockey" is in my opinion pointless without some justifications and points behind the statement.

But to use the Betfair Forum as an example, i went on the other day (foolishly) after Harbingers win and there were at least 100 posted topics all saying such classic things as ‘Boooom’, ‘Told you so’ and ‘LOL @ WF’.

I left immediately as its dull, any thread worth visiting is taken over and the humour is about amusing as having diarrhoea.

Thats the trouble with the ‘if you dont like it ignore it’ argument, people ignore so much and then cant be bothered and leave.

The reason i took the unusual step of posting my original comment here was because when i visited this evening the first seven or eight topics i looked at had unamusing personal slagging matches taking over the thread, which ultimately lead those not involved to click out the site.

End of the day its no big deal to me, but quality horse racing forums are hard to come by so felt i might as well take 2 minutes to state my thoughts.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

Totally agree with that last paragraph but also thanks to Max for pointing me in the direction of gardening forum as my marigolds have been shocking this year.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32177

p.s. For example, members such as Nathan Hughes could endeavour to improve their tipping threads before being allowed to join the elite ranks.

My tips are bad :(

I ran a good World Cup competition in the general sports section with a nice prize for the winner so at least I’ve contributed something to the forum Conundrum. Anyhow you deserve a update in status for giving everyone happiness in the knowledge that every competition you enter they are guaranteed not to come last. :wink:

Blackbeard to conquer the World

• Total Posts 276

I think it’s perfectly valid that forum members have a right to voice concern over the perceived quality of recent postings if that’s how they feel … in saying that, the danger is that, to some, it can come across as being a little precious and bordering on intellectual snobbery.

I too am a relatively new poster and I do try to think about what I post and the way it will be received before I hit the "Submit" button … I do like to inject a little humour into my posts but try to do it without being overly facetious or aiming personal sarcastic barbs at individuals.

As a forum, I believe that we’re as likely to put new recruits off by having members that are seen to flaunt their perceived intellectual superiority as we are by the suggested recent dumbing down of subject matter.

As has previously been suggested by someone (only partially in jest, I suspect), maybe the ubiquitous jockey good/jockey bad postings of recent weeks should in fact have their own category similar to the "Daily Lays & Plays" … Maybe we should ask for suggestions as to what we should call it ?

• Total Posts 2432

For me, I think the reason alot of ‘old heads’ are getting tetchy lately is because of Racing For Change & the concerns regarding prize money, the levy, bookmakers & all sorts of percieved issues with racing.

I was like that in May, Anthony, and I think you’re being very perceptive here. Don’t agree with your conclusions later though – we need a total, like, People’s Revolution as far as I am concerned, meduck.

Burroughhill, you can flutter your eyelashes at me anytime. The Southwell Paddock? The Winter Festival of Racing is but three short months away! :)

Best tip for Marigolds I ever came across originated in an Austrian forum I visit sometimes. When bedding Marigolds, always plant in a south facing direction and use plenty of magnesium-infused compost – failing that, sprinkle regularly with Epsom Salts. They’ll blossom like the Aztec sun after that treatment, Moe. :D

• Total Posts 4293

Are the bookmakers really such a bunch of crooks?

Yes.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

It was NOT a polite request to use the chatroom. It was a ‘we don’t want your sort here so jog on somewhere else.’ It’s amazing what some people consider to be polite.

But hang on: why was the chat room implemented? What else is it for but casual tweets? You might note that Daily Lays and Plays has also been suggested (multiple times, by more than one poster) to

Matthew01

et. al.

as a more appropriate slot for their brand of jolly banter, and so I don’t feel your extrapolation is fair.

What’s more depressing to me, is that anyone who takes the trouble to attempt to

reason

with these people is now in danger of being branded an "intellectual", that most heinous of modern crimes.

The next tasty morsel of name-calling will be

"elitist"

– thus spake the prophet!

• Total Posts 276

No crime in being an intellectual, Pinza, but it shouldn’t be utilised as a weapon to belittle people and make them feel inferior.

I would hope that this Forum has the tolerance to accept a broad spectrum of posters although I admit myself that even I would draw the the line at the OMG, WTF, LOL brigade that generally inhabit the kingdom that is the Racing Post Blog comment status and worship at the feet of their god, Steve Palmer.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I would hope that this Forum has the tolerance to accept a broad spectrum of posters although I admit myself that even I would draw the the line at the OMG, WTF, LOL brigade

… [snip]

I agree. The broad spectrum is very much part of the appeal of TRF. The difficulty lies in that old democratic chestnut, about how far we should tolerate those who seemingly do

not

tolerate us!

Matthew01

, for example, has recently invited me to get out of TRF if I don’t like his brand of what he calls "fun", or take TRF too "seriously".

In return, I have never once suggested that he should take his tent elsewhere – though I’ve certainly expressed the hope that he’d stop micturating out of it! There’s "broad spectrum", Burrough Hill Lad, and there’s "beyond the pale".

• Total Posts 1083

You take things too seriously Pinza :lol: relax, it’s an Internet forum not life or death.

Night.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

Please don’t use the Daily Lays And Plays as a bin for Pocket Talk. Too much will put me off using it.

Although, if members gave their tips there, could easily include some pocket talk in the thread. I do.

Sometimes can’t see the difference between some Trends and Notebook stuff and Daily Lays And Plays, may be they could merge.

May be the answer is have a "Pocket Talk" thread inside of this section, so everyone can put their grievance in the one thread. Would that keep everyone happy?

Value Is Everything
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

You take things too seriously Pinza :lol: relax, it’s an Internet forum not life or death

Indeed not. As somebody once said: "it’s far more serious than that".

I can only apologise once again for taking my pleasures so seriously. How much happier I should be, could I only learn from

Matthew01

the wisdom of frivolity…

• Total Posts 1083

Without dwelling on this anymore, can I also add that Ken (conundrum) can be overly insulting at times, whilst it may come across to some as Tongue in cheek, there’s others that find him patronising and generally rude.

I’m quite tolerant to his vengeance against me but I’m very surprised it’s allowed to continue being so persistent.

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 105 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.