The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Treatment of injuries

Home Forums Horse Racing Treatment of injuries

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Small Bear
    • Total Posts 52

A lot of people not particularly interested in racing still seem to believe that horses are regulary shot on course for falls involving broken bones etc.  

Now, I am no expert in any field of racing, but in my recent experience, a lot of injuries seem to be treated sucessfully where as in the past these injuries may have at least  led to the horse being retired, if not put down.  Is this true and what has happened to make the change?

racinggirlukracinggirluk
    • Total Posts 232

well treatments have moved into the 21st century, and your right not all horses now get PTS, advanced medicine for horses is improving all the time…, vets can tell within 2 mins if the horse can survive. <br>I have seen horses break legs, pelvis and other bones on the gallops and 95% have gone on to win races, some have retired, they need time and patience, upto 6 months box reast and anything up to 2 years in a field for a good recovery…. similar recovery for tendon injury..

I currently have a horse on box rest with a stress fracture

benbdb
    • Total Posts 164

as well as the advancement in medicine I think there has been a move away from the idea of just putting a horse down when it will never be able to race again regardless of if it could recover enough to live out its life in a field. which has got to be a good thing!!!

sberrysberry
    • Total Posts 1801

perhaps an increase in syndication has had some effect as costs can be shared, along with televised coverage of every race and the rise of the loony-left bunny-loving tree huggers ?

robert99robert99
    Participant
    • Total Posts 897

As others have posted, in the past it was more a matter of the tradition of can’t do, plus the economics and avoiding inflicting the pain of prolonged rehabilitation. They seldom sought better methods, (as the horse was put down as a matter of course), so did not find them. Not sure that anything startling has happened but the old methods of, say, pin firing 20 years ago have disappeared and vets now have far better knowledge of more proven, modern treatments. For example, UBM injections for ligament repair, ultrasound for bowed tendons, hyperbaric oxygen therapy for wounds, equine swimming pools to take weight off of joints under light exercise, biomechanics to inform on forces and stresses, key hole surgery for pinning  bones etc.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.