The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Trainers’ Instructions – An opportunity missed?

Home Forums Horse Racing Trainers’ Instructions – An opportunity missed?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 1268

Just a what-if idea…

What if trainers had to submit their riding instructions for each runner prior to the race being run, in writing and either handed in or emailed to the stewards?[/color:durrg7jj]

These could not be ‘opened’ until after the race. Stewards could use them to identify ‘odd’ rides and generally highlight funny business. Jockeys could be asked to justify or explain significant deviations from their instructions at the request of the stewards, and it might just be a little harder for non-triers to hide away, or for the various parties to blame eachother. Non submission could prevent the horse running, and insufficient submission could be punishable by means of a fine.

Taking things a step further, the instructions could be made available online and/or published alongside results and in-running comments, which might be interesting to say the least (even if just to see who might be particularly creative or cryptic).

Would this be an opportunity for racing to become more open, honest and transparent? Might be useful at a time when the general public view of the sport’s integrity is probably not especially positive? Any thoughts appreciated…

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Nice idea NV, but aren’t you assuming the authorities don’t really know what’s going on already?
    Racing isn’t "open,honest and transparent" for the simple reason the powers that be don’t want it to be, else why would it be a crime to disseminate information?
    It has been run in this manner for centuries, but since they publicly climbed into bed with the bookmakers they have even more reason to reinforce the status quo.

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

I think it’s a great idea NV, if only to see what the instructions were for Totally Scottish today :lol: .

Being serious, there is a flaw in your idea. Trainers do not officially have to give instructions to a jockey – therefore, when the Stewards opened their envelopes, or checked their emails, all they would see is 27 "I left it to the jockey" instructions :lol: .

If trainers had to give instructions to a jockey, then your idea would be absolutely fantastic and I would be all for it.

Mike

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

What a nutty idea :lol: . Be a lot of fun that would…..Trainers would be up in arms, they have enough to do without having to fill in a load of paper work between races. Half the time jockeys can’t ride to instructions anyway as the race doesn’t pan out the way they thought it might. So what do they do if a horse gets beat and the jockey didn’t ride to instructions because the pace was all wrong for his mount or whatever……….suspend the Jockey……..be a friggin riot. Just not practical IMO

TheCheekster
    • Total Posts 329

My dad has been saying this for years. Only recordings would be a lot easier.
    Flat jockeys rarely do as they are told for a small yard.

• Total Posts 1268

The additional paperwork could be a pain in the erse, but I’m thinking of a couple of lines rather than War And Peace, and these could easily be made a requirement…

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

It wouldn’t work.

All that would happen is the written instructions would say it was up to the jockey to decide taking into account race conditions. Then the "real" instructions would be something else.

It would be very easy to circumvent.

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

I think it’s a great idea NV, if only to see what the instructions were for Totally Scottish today :lol: .

Mike

What did the jockey on Totally Scottish do wrong please?

Trisons Star
    • Total Posts 11

Mike

I think Totally scottish has ideas of its own..

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Mike

Nothing – which leads me to the obvious question;

Didi I say that the jockey on Totally Scottish did anything wrong?

Mike

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

My dad has been saying this for years. Only recordings would be a lot easier.
    Flat jockeys rarely do as they are told for a small yard.

Nothing ever said could be more true. I had a very nice filly a few years back and only guy who ever did as we asked was Pat Eddery……….cos all we told him was "Have a good ride" :lol: One Jockey we asked to hold her up made all and was beat a length…….another held her up and forgot to say go….huge gamble on another horse from a yard he was assocciated with……Flat jockeys are a bunch of crooks IMO too much money going about and too easy to hide it……..One champion Jockey I know off had more punters putting cash on for him than Ladbrokes :lol: NOTE Not Keiran Fallon

It’s way too easy for them to put a horse in a hole and that’s why I rarely punt on the flat……….mugs game. Also way too east to say I couldn’t do as you asked because……..whatever.

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

Not directly Mikky, but by feeling the need to single out one particular horse, it seemed fairly safe to assume you had done your 50p on him.

• Total Posts 2432

It’s way too easy for them to put a horse in a hole and that’s why I rarely punt on the flat……….mugs game.

I do enjoy your postings from the East, FoF, but I can’t let this sentence go by without some defence.

I had a day of betting on the jumps yesterday as there was no AW and, to be frank, I’m surprised that the stewards weren’t secreting the gin bottle after every race. I don’t know how you twighoppers do it. The Sudanese teddy bear formerly known as Mohammed was busier than many of the jocks yesterday.

Big Saturdays, yes. Midweek? Not for me. Do carry on. :D

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.