The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Totting up procedures

Home Forums Horse Racing Totting up procedures

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

Hughes fuming over recent bans

Richard Hughes has called for a total overhaul of the jockeys totting up points procedure, which has already resulted in Jamie Spencer receiving a three-week ban and is threatening to do likewise to him should he break the rules again before October.

Hughes, who faces a nine day "holiday" (Aug 29-Sept 6) for two separate incidents of careless riding at Newbury last Saturday, is now on 27 points – three more than the maximum 24 – so if and when he picks up a ban for the same offence between now and the end of the season, he will automatically be referred to the British Horseracing Authority, where he would likely to be stood down for 20-days plus.

Clearly angry at the treatment he has received, Hughes said:"First and foremost, I would like to say sorry to Richard Hannon and his owners for not being available to ride, but there is no way that I am apologising for the way I ride as the only thing I have been guilty of is trying to do my best on every horse I ride.

"I have had 500 rides this turf season, and 300 of them have finished in the first four, and it is fairly obvious that jockeys who are involved in the thick of the action are far more likely to risk suspension than those who finished out the back.

"Remember, this is a contact sport that we are in, and it is impossible not to have the odd brush with a rival – horses don’t run in lanes and they will often roll about in a finish.

"I have had a great season, but one more ban and it is virtually over. The top jockeys don’t ride on the all-weather in the winter these days simply because we don’t want to rack up days which will be hanging over us when the turf season begins, and now the BHA are stopping us earning a living in the summer, too.

"We were promised that the totting up system would be looked at, but nothing has been done. It has all got out of hand, and suspensions are being handed out willy-nilly for frivolous offences."

The above taken from Hannon’s website.

Any thoughts? Valid comment or complaineth too much?

Buick has also fallen foul of course

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

I didn’t write anything at the time, but I thought that some of the bans handed out to jockeys at the Derby meeting were totally out of order.

This is a track on a camber where horses naturally wander about.

I think there were a couple of bans for frequent use of the whip as well, but I don’t want to get involved in that debate.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

…………….as you should know, Gerald, one of the reasons for carrying a whip is to enable the rider to keep the horse running straight, allegedly! :?

Colin

robert99
    Participant
    • Total Posts 899

Totting up procedures do not seem to give any clarity on the degree of seriousness of the offence. A series of minor scrapes may tot up eventually to a ban but no single offence was ever important. Perhaps the number of subsequent rides without "offence" should mean totted up points get cancelled – a carrot to good behaviour. No one wants to see trying jockeys be deterred from trying to win within the rules and that is certainly happening to jockey near the totting limits.

The whip rules are clear and controllable by the jockey so they should not be able to gain over jockeys abiding by the rules. If careless riding was careless about the safety of others and their horses then that too should not be dismissed. Offences against the rules should also mean any winning horse’s gaining from the offences should also be disqualified.

If these jockeys were riding in Australia the punishments would be far harsher and for far longer. So it is quite difficult without full knowledge of the facts to take any side in this.

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

I forget to add that Murtagh is limiting his appearances in the UK for fear of falling foul of the totting up procedures.I see he got a 4 day whip ban after the Juddmonte International yesterday.

I don’t believe that top jockeys should be allowed to break the rules with impunity nor do anything that risks life or limb, but the consequences seem to be an almost inevitability that several of the top riders will receive lengthy bans and be removed from the public stage.

A couple of years ago, Hughes did support the winter AW but received minor bans which carried over into the summer and led to him getting banned under totting up.Needless to say he hasn’t done that again. Winter AW seems a speciality left to lesser lights.

Perhaps Silvoir might like to give a BHA view?

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

From the RP Richard Hughes totting up article:-

In the same race Frankie Dettori received a two-day ban for careless riding on Black Snowflake. His ban runs from September 4-6.

Erm, that counts as three days in my world.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.