The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Top ten training feats

Home Forums Archive Topics Top ten training feats

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1981

I think it’s quite refereshing to have an all-time top 10 list that isn’t packed with post-Millenium stuff.

What would your top ten trainer perfromances look like?

1. Barney Curley getting a win out of Dafa when his stable was, by his own admission, over-run by the virus. All this on the same day as Nevinstown wins for the great man’s protogee.

2. David Wintle on Kenyon Confronts

3. Alan Berry getting a couple of placings behind Attraction out of notorius cripple Hillside Girl.

4. Aunty Hen getting Racing Demon to the track twice in the same season.

5. Paul Blockley’s ATR interviews

6. Matey’s three gold cups – immortal.

7. Radiohead – The Bends

8. Charlie Mann sending the wrong horse to the track..twice.

9. Del Boy falling over in that yuppie bar.

10. Jimmy Fitzgerald on Panorama

<br>

aubine
    • Total Posts 1

I am a new poster, and I am going to just jump in and reply to your post, I find the top 10 trainers an interesting mix, it isnt  what most people would expect, and will provoke some interest, for me it has spurred me to learn more about some of the training feats mentioned instead of just casting a vote  and forgetting it.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

TDK is right. Its useless cos how on earth can it be debated?

Only Peaty Sandy was around for the 1822 leger :o

Should have been restricted to colour TV racing only. As i keep reminding the arkle bores, balck and white doesnt count

More seriously though…

Its a wasted feature:angry:

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

How is a gamble (quite closely related to deception and fraud) a great training feat?

Soviet Song
    • Total Posts 21

I personally thought that James Fanshawe’s training of the 4 yo Soviet Song in 2004 to win 3 group ones after a disappointing 3 yo career was a great training performance.

Not as good as winning a handicap in 1822 it would seem.  But then, maybe I am a bit biased.

Soviet Song
    • Total Posts 21

Oh contraire TDK,

How many horses have bombed as 3yo’s and come back to win 3 group ones (including the Sussex Stakes, and drubbing ‘wonder horse’ Attraction twice), as well as winning a group 2 by 6L easing down?

I’ll not mention her second in the Queen Anne to a horse who went on to win the Eclipse, with that years BC mile winner (Six Perfections) out with the washing!

ricky lake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2358

Arlke bores . hmmmm clive . methinks  you must be having a bad monday :biggrin: , never mind Kempton all weather and the craven beckons , e:cheesy: . enough of this Barney  bashing , and as for John Randall , I guess its a  case of the usual RP drivel , please God let the Sportsman happen soon

Glen , quality as usual .

<br>Ricky :biggrin:

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

If I had a fiver for the number of disappointing 3yos who came back good at four I’d be loaded.<br>

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

In the 1800’s if your horse was winning and they wanted it stopped they’d set a couple of lurchers about it in the back straight ..

.. it had the same effect as putting some of todays jockeys up !

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

Quote: from Soviet Song on 9:30 pm on Feb. 6, 2006[br]Oh contraire TDK,

How many horses have bombed as 3yo’s and come back to win 3 group ones (including the Sussex Stakes, and drubbing ‘wonder horse’ Attraction twice), as well as winning a group 2 by 6L easing down?

I’ll not mention her second in the Queen Anne to a horse who went on to win the Eclipse, with that years BC mile winner (Six Perfections) out with the washing!<br>

Is this for real? She hardly bombed as a three-year-old – she was just beaten by better horses. The fact that she recorded a couple of wins over Attraction doesn’t do it for me.

Now Russian Rhythm on the other hand – now she was the premier lady of 2003 :)

Soviet Song
    • Total Posts 21

Quote: from Smithy on 8:09 am on Feb. 7, 2006[br]

Quote: from Soviet Song on 9:30 pm on Feb. 6, 2006[br]Oh contraire TDK,

I’ll not mention her second in the Queen Anne to a horse who went on to win the Eclipse, with that years BC mile winner (Six Perfections) out with the washing!<br>

Is this for real? She hardly bombed as a three-year-old – she was just beaten by better horses. The fact that she recorded a couple of wins over Attraction doesn’t do it for me.

Now Russian Rhythm on the other hand – now she was the premier lady of 2003 :)<br>

Smithy,

Just for your information.

It is a widely recognised fact that SS was never ‘right’ in her 3yo season after the stable came down with flu whilst she was being prepared for the guineas, hence her defeats by Russian Rhythm, a very fine filly indeed.

However, I’ll think you’ll find that her subsequent 4 group 1 wins make her a higher rated (and therefore better filly) than Russian Rhythm.

It’s a pity they both never got it on when they were both 100% fit.  That would have been some race.

OK, you don’t think it was a great training feat, fine, we can agree to differ then!

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

If training Soviet Song was a great feat, then AP O’Brien should also be on the list for winning seven Group 1s with Rock of Gibraltar as should Michael Jarvis for getting the best out of Rakti on a couple of occasions.

There’s nothing special about winning races with good horses – in fact it’s what owners pay for

Soviet Song
    • Total Posts 21

Quote: from thedarkknight on 11:04 am on Feb. 7, 2006[br]"It is a widely recognised fact that SS was never ‘right’ in her 3yo season after the stable came down with flu whilst she was being prepared for the guineas, hence her defeats by Russian Rhythm, a very fine filly indeed. "

Widely recognised by Elite Racing Club members perhaps.

Sorry – much as I like Soviet Song, I can’t entertain her as being better than Russian Rhythm.<br>

<br>Just look at the OR’s mate-not opinion-FACT.

Perhaps as a member of ERC, I might just know a little more about the health of our horses than you do.

You don’t think it’s a great training performance?  Fine.

Soviet Song
    • Total Posts 21

Like I said TDK, would have been nice to see them meet when both were 100% fit and well.

One thing we may well agree on.  The 2003 1000 guineas was the strongest renewal we have seen for many years, given the subsequent record of the first 4 home (and a couple of the others behind weren’t the worst either)

jackane24
    • Total Posts 444

I am totally unbiased on this issue. Russian Rhythm and Soviet Song are loved so much by me, that I am independent. So here goes.

Soviet Song beat an amazing filly in Attraction twice, but age may have played a big part. Attraction is widely regarded as one of the greatest fillies of all time – made history by doing the guineas double, won the Matron as a 4yo after running on very soft ground at Newbury and never got to grips with HK. But soviet song came second in the queen anne where the form was well and truly upheld, won the sussex stakes, an EXTREMELY unlucky 2nd to proclamation last year, the falmouth last year, etc

Russian Rhythm got beat by the best horse in the world in Falbrav in the QE2, won the guineas, the coronation stakes, the nassau running at 2f further than ideal, a good 5th in the champion stakes to rakti, another one of the greatest in the world, the lockinge first time out as a 4yo, etc

I’m not going to use the ratings, because i think they’re useless, inaccurate and don’t tell half the story of the race – they are very rarely accurate with the result either. Both are world class, but i think i’ll have to say that the better horse is………………..Russian Rhythm, but it would only be half a length at most. It’s just a shame that SS & RR never met while both were at 100%.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.