The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Top Offer back at Newmarket tomorrow

Home Forums Betting Chat – Bets & Tips Top Offer back at Newmarket tomorrow

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 16965

Roger Charlton’s Top Offer is back at Newmarket tomorrow runnning in a Class 3 7 furlong Handicap on the July Course.

He did of course flop in last years 2000 Guineas won by Camelot being eased to finish around 12th of 14 runners but the ground was very soft that day and tomorrow it will be ideal.
    He has had a long lay off and Prince Khaled Abdullah has been very patient with him.

Represents good value at around 11/4 at the moment and if he turns out in good form tomorrow he could win this one easily at short odds.

Looking forward to seeing him in the paddock tomorrow to see if he looks ready to make a winning comeback.

Jac
    <!– s:D –>:D<!– s:D –>

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Roger Charlton’s Top Offer is back at Newmarket tomorrow runnning in a Class 3 7 furlong Handicap on the July Course.

He did of course flop in last years 2000 Guineas won by Camelot being eased to finish around 12th of 14 runners but the ground was very soft that day and tomorrow it will be ideal.
    He has had a long lay off and Prince Khaled Abdullah has been very patient with him.

Represents good value at around 11/4 at the moment and if he turns out in good form tomorrow he could win this one easily at short odds.

Looking forward to seeing him in the paddock tomorrow to see if he looks ready to make a winning comeback.

Jac
    :D

I noticed he was dropped into a handicap and he

could

be better than his mark but there are some questions to answer as well. He was a falsely short price for the 2000 Guineas on the back of a maiden win before drifting dramatically in the betting on the day and running no race. He was also poor on his other run when favourite in the listed Heron Stakes at Sandown.

The stable form has been rather modest and both Cityscape and Mince ran total stinkers on their seasonal debuts, with Mince turned over at odds-on in another feeble effort next time. Both of them are to miss Royal Ascot now and it hardly inspires confidence. He still has something to prove for me but the race he is in won’t take a lot of winning, evinced by Timeform giving the five star tip to the NINE year old Axiom!

Think, I’ll sit this one out.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16965

Probably a wise move Steve.
    I’ll be there today so will get a chance to see how he turns out and compares in the paddock. I did take a little 3/1 with Paddy Power last night just in case and will be keeping an eye on the market. Interesting to see if Roger Charlton is there to support him today.
    Makes for a fascinating day and I’m hoping he has got rid of his demons and that Prince Khaleds patience will be rewarded this afternoon, just a small meeting but some good racing ahead.
    Looking forward to seeing Jubilante run in the 2.40 but I’ll be rooting for Top Offer later in the Handicap.
    Jac

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

He’s drifting alarmingly this morning and is as big as 6/1

If he wins now, the price will look amazing but on the evidence:-

"Duffman has a bad feeling about this"

In Jubilante’s race I’d be a bit worried about top weight Exceptionelle, who apparently had a tendency not to settle last year. If they have sorted that out and she has wintered well, the Hughes-Varian combination makes plenty of appeal at 9/2 against the fav who is about 7/4

Enjoy the day.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

11th of 15th runners and never a factor. The betting told the story there.

Exceptionelle pulled hard again in Jubilante’s race and she needs to learn to settle to give herself a chance, or perhaps a big field with plenty of pace might help her.

• Total Posts 275

Him

steve :wink:

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

No, It’s definitely

her

Exceptionelle:-

3-y-o brown filly
    Exceed and Excel (AUS) – Turning Leaf (IRE) (Last Tycoon (UK))

The first part of the post was regarding Top Offer’s run and the second referred to the other race Triptych mentioned.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16965

No, It’s definitely

her

Exceptionelle:-

3-y-o brown filly
    Exceed and Excel (AUS) – Turning Leaf (IRE) (Last Tycoon (UK))

The first part of the post was regarding Top Offer’s run and the second referred to the other race Triptych mentioned.

Definitely a her Steve…The race was a 3yo Fillies Handicap :D

Yes..the writing was on the wall for Top Offer today as soon as I saw he was as high as 8/1 with one rails bookie before the off, that soon got nibbled down to 6/1 but nobody wanted him.
    Roger Charlton wasn’t there but the horse looked fit and ready to race. He walked the parade ring without getting hot and they waited with him to be the last to leave the paddock and he was walked quite a way down the course with his handler before being let go to post.
    At no point did he ruin any chance he might have had to run a good race, but he never got into the mix he was switched left and kept to the inside rail making a little improvement but was not given a hard time, just out for the run and, as you rightly said, the betting told the story. :?

Shock result in the 2.40 with Midnight Flower dotting up at 25/1, Jubilante was making good progress but just didn’t get up the hill today followed closely by Exceptionelle.

Managed to find 2 winners today Mark Johnstons Maputo was all the rage and Consign with a very workmanlike victory, but my placepot went down with one horse and that was Top Offer :roll: back to the drawing board for tomorrow..
    Hope you got a couple home today Steve if you had a bet.
    Jac
    :wink:

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Roger Charlton wasn’t there but the horse looked fit and ready to race. He walked the parade ring without getting hot and they waited with him to be the last to leave the paddock and he was walked quite a way down the course with his handler before being let go to post.
    Jac
    :wink:

Totally agree with you there – I thought he looked good in the parade ring – looked fit and no sign of temperament at all.

just a shame he was rubbish in the race!!!

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

He goes again in the 3.50 at Salisbury today and is 12/1 for those who wish to keep the faith that he’ll bounce back. It’s a trappy looking race though.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16965

Thanks for that Steve…I nearly missed him today.
    Paddy Power gave me a £5 FREEBET today so I have put it on him at 10/1…

Roger Charlton says on his website he has some way to go but they are pleased with the wy he is starting to enjoy his work and relaxing better.

Hood on first time today.
    Up in Class 3 to 2
    Up in Distance back to 1m
    Up in Weight since last time
    Usual Jockey on board

Think they were very careful with him at Newmarket LTO so hoping he will finish nearer today.

Off to watch the race with all fingers and toes crossed for him. :D

Participant
    • Total Posts 16965

Looks like he does still have a very long way to go after todays run. He flattered for a bit looking like he was going to deliver a run down the outside but when James Doyle asked him to quicken he stopped running and finished last.

Nothing lost betting wise, but how nice it would have been to see this horse who showed so much promise as a 2yo come back to his best again. Sure he will but in the meantime best watched until he shows a willingness to do battle.
    Jac

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Wish I’d kept my mouth shut now!

It makes you wonder why they are persevering with him after such tame efforts. Having tried so many ways to aid his performance it looks like his options are pretty limited now.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

May as well just sell him on, he’ll find his feet somewhere at handicap level but not in the 90’s currently. Was completely over rated and over hyped right from the get go, he simply is not that good and was never good enough to be lining up in a group 1. Hyperbole was crazy about him considering all he did was win a mid summer maiden that turned out to be rubbish.

HorseWithNoName
    • Total Posts 51

I think he may be going to Willie Mullins at the end of this season.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16965

Wish I’d kept my mouth shut now!

It makes you wonder why they are persevering with him after such tame efforts. Having tried so many ways to aid his performance it looks like his options are pretty limited now.

:lol: Proves you’re on the ball Steve, I’ve missed winners by not sorting through all the runners on a daily basis, who knows he could have coasted home, unlikely .. but possible if he started the race at 3.40. :wink:

Participant
    • Total Posts 33015

Gelded and a wind op…

Suggests Top Offer had a troublesome physical problem and not shown enough to keep his tackle. Doesn’t help that he was a talking horse after just a fair maiden victory. Poorly handicapped on actual "form shown".

Value Is Everything
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.