The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Tommo Retires – He says "Time for pipe & slippers for Tommo"

Home Forums Horse Racing Tommo Retires – He says "Time for pipe & slippers for Tommo"

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    eddie case
    • Total Posts 1214

He adds "I’ve had a great time for the last 40 years but will be 62 in a few weeks and it’s time to make way for the young guns.
    I felt as good as ever in my swansong at Kempton on Saturday but want to finish under my own terms while I am still at the top of my game rather than allow mistakes to start creeping in.
    I will be ceasing forthwith everything connected with racing including my lucrative (for punters) tipping line.
    I hope to spend more time watching my son play rugby for Scotland".

What a loss! He will be missed.

BlackGold
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1455

Wow, bit of a shock. I worked with him a few times back in my BBC Radio 4 days. Sounds a bit drastic cutting all racing ties, but if that’s what he want to do so be it.

Have a long and happy retirement Tommo.

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1918

If only it were true rather than the likelihood that it is an April fool.

I wished I’d got odds on him mentioning Ant And Dec in the commentary of Primaeval’s race yesterday,would have been the best value 1.01 shot of all time.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5937

Unfortunately I fear he’ll be bashing ears in true ‘Thommo style’ at Musselburgh next Saturday…

This thread could come under one of two headings, ‘April Foolor ‘Wishful Thinking’!

peter .h
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1431

The guy is 62? Damn he’s looking good. I hope i look that good when i’m 31!

BlackGold
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1455

Caught out again. What a chump I am. :roll:

Hurdygurdyman
    • Total Posts 1555

:lol: don’t feel bad would have caught me out too had I been around on April 1

eddie case
    • Total Posts 1214

Interviewing jockey Atzeni about his ride on TEBBIT, Tommo said he must be named after ex jock Michael TEBBUTT. Don’t let the incorrect spelling get in the way of a good story and not the first time he’s come out with this sort of tripe, although if he’d bothered to read the breeding he may have got a clue Tapit – Baroness Thatcher.

Not a good day so far for Tommo, he interviewed Ahern before the first and although asking him about his ride on the beaten 6/4 fav in the second failed to ask him about his ride on the 11/1 winner in the first, both for Cecil.

aji
    • Total Posts 469

Hi Eddie, I don’t know how old you are or the state of your health, but Thommo is in his sixties and has had some problems recently, I hope no-one takes the piss out of you if you are ever in the same circumstances.

eddie case
    • Total Posts 1214

Hi Eddie, I don’t know how old you are or the state of your health, but Thommo is in his sixties and has had some problems recently, I hope no-one takes the piss out of you if you are ever in the same circumstances.

Poppycock, maybe C4 should have continued to employ him based on what you say.
    By the law of averages there are bound to be people on here not well and/or old, I wouldn’t think any would expect any allowance to be made on their postings from fellow forumites based on that, nor would they receive any.

And so he continues, he’s just put up Adam Kirby for ride of the week on Corporal Maddox although it will probably win it :lol:

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1921

"I’m going to have a word with Strike Force" :lol: Best of luck with that Tommo hope he is talkative today.

CrustyPatch
    Participant
    • Total Posts 917

Tommo certainly can’t be that thick, judging by his landing of a globe-trotting new role, secured with the help of his previous good contacts in the Middle East.

I’ve got to hand it to him for his latest triumph, just weeks after it was revealed that he was not being kept on by Channel 4.

Extracts from this article give more details:

"The ubiquitous broadcaster’s services have been snapped up to front television coverage of the Global Arabian Horse Arabian horse, a breed of light horse developed in Mesopotamia and North Africa, and probably the first true domesticated breed.

"Thompson was offered the presenting role by a representative of the sheikh in Abu Dhabi at the weekend and, with trips to Australia, America, Morocco, Oman, Switzerland, Germany, France, Holland and Poland among others on the agenda over the next 12 months, he had no hesitation in accepting.

"Whenever there is a purebred Arabian race around the world, Sheikh Mansour wants me to be there to present it for TV and also to help promote it," said Thompson.

"It’s obviously not full-time, but after losing Channel 4, it is very pleasing to get something like this and I will be clocking up the air miles on Emirates over the next few months.

"It won’t interfere with my commentating, or Tommo TV for which we already have stacks of dates in the UK for next year, or my opening betting shops, but it is a nice bit of security after Channel 4."

eddie case
    • Total Posts 1214

That’s all very well CrustyPatch but if someone thinks a horse called Tebbit is named after a jockey called Tebbutt and broadcasts it to the nation I would suggest they’re short of something especially with Thompson and Tebbutt both being based at Newmarket.

I would imagine if an owner wanted to name a horse after someone they would take the trouble to get the correct spelling and not be so wrong.

CrustyPatch
    Participant
    • Total Posts 917

That’s all very well CrustyPatch but if someone thinks a horse called Tebbit is named after a jockey called Tebbutt and broadcasts it to the nation I would suggest they’re short of something especially with Thompson and Tebbutt both being based at Newmarket.

He’s done this before. I’ve heard him a few times saying a similar thing, based on the phonetic sound of a name rather than its spelling and making a totally bogus connection that is juvenile in the extreme.

It is a bit asinine and schoolboyish and I have found myself shaking my head at how ridiculous what he has sometimes said is.

It’s all part of the awful puns and corny jokes mindset and his overgrown schoolboy desire to be seen as a jolly joker.

Even back in his Radio 2 sportsdesk days in 1980, he had me groaning when reporting from a Christmas showjumping event and insisting on calling it a "plum event" and a "tasty" competition.

betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2789

I would imagine if an owner wanted to name a horse after someone they would take the trouble to get the correct spelling and not be so wrong.

I definitely heard him say "I bet they call him Norman at home" when he was being led back.

Mike

wyldesyde
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1660

And what about ‘The Variety Club’ day at Sandown? He’s in his element there. I can’t watch.

thisthatandtother
    • Total Posts 149

Get over yourself Eddie and leave Thommo alone. I’ll miss him on C4 racing, his good humour and enthusiasm are great to see on TV

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.