The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Today's Pricewise – "50-1 generally available"

Home Forums Horse Racing Today's Pricewise – "50-1 generally available"

Viewing 17 posts - 137 through 153 (of 187 total)
  • Author
    stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

No doubt the Racing Post will be shouting from the rafters again tomorrow but it is interesting to note Segal’s assessment of Treacle ‘and it seems clear all his best form is on decent ground’. Would he have selected the horse if he had known about the softening ground?

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

The ground didn’t look any worse than gd/soft to me- didn’t look at times yet. Knock him all you like, he keeps finding the big-price winners.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1635

Surely any form of tipping involves an element of luck.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Surely any form of tipping involves an element of luck.

And the nod to see if its trying, I am sure we can all find big priced horses that

should

run well but they don’t.

The price always seems to shorten when its a

pricewise

selection, more like he knows they are being backed. Then people follow in when they see it shortening in, a win win situtation if you’re on at 10-1 and its 6-1 on exchanges

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

So Tom Segal gets inside information the night before that the horses he tips are going to be backed. Much more plausible than the market reacting to his record as a tipster…

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

So Tom Segal gets inside information the night before that the horses he tips are going to be backed. Much more plausible than the market reacting to his record as a tipster…

Any reason why you think this wouldn’t happen.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

And the nod to see if its trying, I am sure we can all find big priced horses that

should

run well but they don’t.

I’d be pretty confident the races in which Segal tips the horses are trying, it’s not as if he’s tipping up a class 6 0-60 Kempton handicap…

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Segal is obviously privy to more information than the general public – his reasoning is often far too non-sensical for that not to be the case.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

First Hugh Taylor now Tom Segal.

Touch of envy/jealousy or is it a crime to be successful? :wink:

Colin

Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

Tom Segal must be nodding assuredly reading this. Nothing like the crowd thinking you exist on inside information, luck and nonsensical analysis to keep the long priced winners flowing in.

He’s one of the very few that can accurately assess the raw ability of a racehorse, who doesn’t let that assessment get clouded by "noise" factors and who can apply that assessment in a profitable way to the dynamics of a horseracing market.

Tom keeps it simple. Tom wins.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

Why would Segal be privy to info that the other tipsters at the paper wouldn’t?

My own take on it is that he concentrates on only a few races per week. I think that one of the failings of most punters is that they try to be successful in too wide a sphere.

thedarkknight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1299

Tom Segal is a very good judge. You can’t fluke the level of success he has enjoyed over the period in which he has been doing Pricewise.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

IMO the thread (not the most detailed ever started on here) was started because of a particular instance & race, so its a shame some people on both sides are generalising and not actually answering the question on the thread started by Stilvi, trivial as it may be.

The replies are no surprise – usual suspects doing a bit of the usual backslapping. I am not in the slightest bit jealous. However, if I get lucky I will freely admit to it. I also suggested on the Racing Post Q & A if Segal is that good why don’t we see a profit/loss. As I keep saying his record at recent major Fesivals is pathetic. Not even the usual suspects have come back on that one.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6010

Segal is obviously privy to more information than the general public – his reasoning is often far too non-sensical for that not to be the case.

…but might it not be the case that the reason he does return a (presumed) profit is precisely because many of his fellow punters do find his reasoning "non-sensical"

The crowd’s train of thought terminates at Carey Street

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Hugh Taylors approach for me is more genuine, we get to see what he sees.

gumshield
    • Total Posts 119

Hugh Taylor’s approach is the more logical.

There are certainly times when I read Tom’s arguments with a shaking head. But his tipping record

appears

to be impressive, which makes the Post’s policy of not publishing a profit/loss account all the more baffling.

Both Segal and Taylor are good tipsters imo.

thedarkknight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1299

No doubt Segal is well ahead over time and I would guess his record this flat season is pretty impressive. The lack of P/L figure is probably due to the fact that the readership would then demand the P/L for all Racing Post tipsters – and the majority wouldn’t make for such pretty reading.

Viewing 17 posts - 137 through 153 (of 187 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.