The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Today's Pricewise – "50-1 generally available"

Home Forums Horse Racing Today's Pricewise – "50-1 generally available"

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 187 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

TDK

No – it wasn’t always the case. Pre-exchanges, punters did not have a transparent market in the morning which told them the current market price and which horses can be traded for a risk free profit.

Neither did bookmakers, as I recall; the inference being that the exchange price is now calling the tune, and the bookmakers are no longer willing to take any sort of independent stance?<br>That isn’t ‘making a book’.

Also, your concern that "prices could be traded for a risk free profit" is risible in the face of the big 3’s daily antics with sp’s.

• Total Posts 1631

I tend to agree reet, bookies don’t seem want to take a stance

I can understand it in some ways, but why pay  odds compilers if your not willing to take a stance

• Total Posts 1631

"What is the benefit of taking an "independent stance"? If the betfair market tells you that there is significant demand for a horse at 4-1 for example, why would anyone want to lay 5-1, when they can by definition lay 4-1?"

<br>And that i can understand , but what i mean is why pay an odds compiler if your not going to offer books before the exchange has shown the above scenario

You may as well lay him/her  off and just follow the exchange

• Total Posts 1631

BTW, not having go TDK

I respect your opinion, i’m just a bit mystified why you and others don’t use it more and form markets earlier

You don’t have to lay us the odds being offered, but it would be nice to have a chance to negotiate well before racing starts

<br>

(Edited by empty wallet at 2:04 pm on May 28, 2007)

• Total Posts 1631

Good

We know layers  have to be wary of laying some horses, but do you think pricing up more races would be beneficial to your indiustry?

Participant
    • Total Posts 16526

Quote: from Mr Frisk on 9:21 am on May 28, 2007[br]Clearly not, but why give them free advertising too?

The Post apparently insists on seeing "proofs" of tips before tipsters are allowed to advertise, so why not demand some sort of guarantee, even if it’s only for 15 minutes in the shops and to a maximum of £50, before they will include prices in the table in the first place?<br>

Have you ever seen a Racing Post Tipsters Proofed Bets Page in the Racing Post?…. <br>(ok, ok, not the  Newspaper Naps page!!!)

No. And you probably never will.

Any of the RP Employees who post on here could clarify the situation, but I doubt they will, unless they are freelance…..

Many times, Tipsters who advertise in the Racing Post<br>have ended up in Court over their misleading and often Outrageous claims. <br>They are a huge source of income in advertising fees to the RP and go hand in hand with the industry and its Character.

On the Pricewise issue I`m sure its merely a typo.<br>He means to say; <br>            "Generally Not Available"

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2003

Quote: from thedarkknight on 1:59 pm on May 28, 2007[br]Having huge "views" (=offering arbs to all and sundry) is from a bygone era though….

<br>

Quite a few people are willing to take ‘huge views’ and offer arbs to all and sundry. Unfortunately they only appear to be found on the exchange side of the arb asking for under the odds ‘available’ at the bookies.

I think this discussion merely serves to underline the Green Giant Big Chief’s views on the relative merits of full-time gamblers and those employed by bookies.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Bookmakers today are a joke. I just tried to get a grand each way on Martinet and Best of Gold in the 4.40 at Chepstow and got knocked back. Ridiculous ;)

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2003

Quote: from thedarkknight on 3:45 pm on May 28, 2007[br]Spoken like a true arb-player… ;) <br>

Why arb when you can just bet the compiler-created rick at the bookie? I know who the daddy is in this particular marketplace of opinions.

Don’t think I’d be feeding any scraps back into Big Blue that I’d got on elsewhere.

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2003

Not really.

There are two market places: the bookies and the exchanges. My point is that those that understand the game well can take huge positions at worse terms in one market place than is avaialble on the other.

If a bookie hired real talent wouldn’t they see a horse they’d priced up at 13/2 that was trading at 7-7.2 as a chance to get some decent action going at a price they consider value? It’s pointless saying "why lay 7.5 when you can lay 7.2" when only a few quid is available to lay at 7.2.

That’s what talented punters have to do. They see the horse at 7.8-8 say and want on. They’d happily take 13/2 but aren’t allowed on by the books, even the heroic ones that only claim to restrict arbers! He therefore has to ask for ‘unders’ to get on.

• Total Posts 1631

Quote: from thedarkknight on 5:40 pm on May 28, 2007[br]The bookie could just lay it at 7.2 on the exchange though and not hand out free money to the arbers…

(Edited by thedarkknight at 5:41 pm on May 28, 2007)<br>

<br>Yer TDK, but not everyone is wanting to arb, there are stil some people with an opinion

(Edited by empty wallet at 6:51 pm on May 28, 2007)

• Total Posts 1631

negotiation seems to work well TDK ;)

Shadow Leader
    • Total Posts 763

Mounty – I made the exact same observation to my mate at Newmarket yesterday.  In fact I reckon I’ve still got the paper with the little circles around the prices that I made as I was pointing it out to him – "look at this, what a joke.  ’50/1 generally available’; [circle]Baldyfred – price won’t exist, [circle]Sid James circus – price won’t exist, VC are really the only firm offering the price"….

Shadow Leader
    • Total Posts 763

Oh yeah, and what happened to Segal’s old method of putting up "I’madonkey, 2 pts win @ 6/1 generally (Sid James circus 7/1)" ??  Why change that – he clearly knows the firm won’t lay a bet?!

Maurice
    Participant
    • Total Posts 355

VC are really the only firm offering the price"….<br>

That would be the same VC who hacked 2pts off one I tried to back at 8.30am on Saturday.

Shadow Leader
    • Total Posts 763

Pricewise was it Maurice??  

Maurice
    Participant
    • Total Posts 355

No, it was Lipocco. IIRC VC was already short with Tobosa.

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 187 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.