The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Today's Pricewise – "50-1 generally available"

Home Forums Horse Racing Today's Pricewise – "50-1 generally available"

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 187 total)
  • Author
    Mounty
    • Total Posts 455

I had to chuckle when I read the phrase "50-1 generally available" about today’s Pricewise selection Truly Mine. The 50s is ‘there’ with Betfred (can’t have more than a quid on), Stan James (ditto) and VCbet (closed my account). It’s 8.04am and 33-1 from 50s with Betbaldy and 25s from 50 with Sid James.

(Edited by Mounty at 8:16 am on May 27, 2007)

• Total Posts 1631

Quote: from thedarkknight on 8:19 am on May 27, 2007[br]You could have backed it at any stage over the last few days and I’m sure you would have got on with few problems…

<br>Roffle

Mounty
    • Total Posts 455

TDK, I don’t want to back it – just made me laugh that those three firms were grouped together as "generally available". If one of the big three were 50s then fair enough.

• Total Posts 772

Hi Mounty

that’s the racing media for you, "one big wind up".

Money on
    • Total Posts 178

Its a bit like his imaginery 8/1 on authorized for the derby which he tipped up. Funnily i was doing a bit of tradin the days b4 he tipped it and i was struggling to get on at 6s anywhere never mind 8/1.

Maurice
    Participant
    • Total Posts 355

Did anyone get the 9/1 about Tobosa yesterday? I was online before 8am and couldn’t get it. Mind you, I got 8s, which was not bad considering the 100/30f SP.

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

Pricewise horses were only any use to filthy arbers, still they shouldn’t say horses are generally available when quite clearly they are not.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

If you call us (Hills) up at 8.30am on a Saturday morning you’ll be lucky to get through straight away and if it gets to 8.45am and it’s still available then you should feel like you’ve won the lottery.

As for the said firms above not laying a bet Pricewise is hardly going to be allowed to say that you can’t get on with them.

Mr Frisk
    Participant
    • Total Posts 163

Clearly not, but why give them free advertising too?

The Post apparently insists on seeing "proofs" of tips before tipsters are allowed to advertise, so why not demand some sort of guarantee, even if it’s only for 15 minutes in the shops and to a maximum of £50, before they will include prices in the table in the first place?

Maurice
    Participant
    • Total Posts 355

"The Post apparently insists on seeing "proofs" of tips before tipsters are allowed to advertise, so why not demand some sort of guarantee, even if it’s only for 15 minutes in the shops and to a maximum of £50, before they will include prices in the table in the first place? "

Most of the shops will do this. Unfortunately for me it’s a bit of a drive (or was until Hills opened a branch in the town recently) so I only undertake it if I really fancy the beast myself.

I should also add, I don’t remember ever driving the 15 minutes to the nearest Ladbrokes shop and collecting on a Pricewise selection.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Quote: from thedarkknight on 10:18 am on May 28, 2007[br]The whole Pricewise model is hopelessly out of date.

The idea that all individual firms are going to price up a race without knowing each other’s prices, let a tipster cherry pick the best prices once he has access to all of the trainer quotes, work reports and all of the firms’ prices ~ and then lay the pricewise followers and arb players as much as they like (once they have tradable Betfair prices in front of them of course), is a tad unrealistic I would say.

(Edited by thedarkknight at 10:19 am on May 28, 2007)<br>

TDK

Though it’s never been possible to get "as much as you want on", there was certainly less collusion, a wider variety of prices, and for bookmakers to honour them, until recent years. <br>But then, we also had proper bookmakers, rather than bean-counter’s conglomerates.<br>Thank God for the exchanges, at least we still have some choice.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

The exchanges are exactly the reason why bookmakers won’t lay pricewise ricks like they did to a degree in the past. If there is demand on betfair for the horse at 6.4 , can you really expect them to stand there and lay hundreds at 13/2 when there will be arbers just taking out the profit.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Dear me!<br>And here was I, naively thinking that bookmakers wanted to lay horses?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Quote: from thedarkknight on 12:14 pm on May 28, 2007[br]Of course they want to lay horses, but you would indeed be naive if you think that they want to lay them at prices at which they have little chance of making a profit in the long term.

Putting up prices blind and then allowing people to play them at will when they have all the market information at hand a day later is not generally the way to achieve this….<br>

But, TDK, that always was the case in the past?<br>Is what you’re saying that the exchanges effectively rule the roost nowadays, and it is beyond the bookmaker’s wit to compete any longer?

• Total Posts 1631

TDK

Why don’t bookies price up more races the night before?

• Total Posts 1631

Just to clarify

i’m not asking you to guarantee the price you’d be offering

• Total Posts 1631

Quote: from thedarkknight on 1:03 pm on May 28, 2007[br] Some firms have started offering them on the bigger meetings and maybe it is the way things could be heading …

<br>Hope so

i would probably use my accounts more if they did offer prices on more races earlier instead of just a few and going SP on the rest

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 187 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.