The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Today's Channel 4 coverage at Aintree

Home Forums Horse Racing Today's Channel 4 coverage at Aintree

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

Heaven help me i’m getting used to Nick Luck hosting Channel 4 Racing and think he did a fair job today from Aintree. I certainly didn’t miss seeing little miss prissy Clare Balding.

That’s the good news, the rest is bad:

Mick Fitz – why ???
    Emma Balding/Spencer – pretty but clear she knows nothing about jumps racing
    Pictures of horses in the paddock – poor with only glancing views before each race, I also think they missed the parade for the Aintree Hurdle.
    The pictures of the National course were very poor, I prefer to see the head-on shot at Bechers Brook and the 45-degree camera at Canal Turn but today almost all the action was from their camera car which I’m sure missed many of the casualties.

They need to do a whole lot better on Saturday.

Participant
    • Total Posts 650

Totally agree re Bechers. The classic head on view is the best. No shape to the race the way it’s being filmed now.

Participant
    • Total Posts 616

Agreed, the choice of camera shots during the Fox Hunters was poor. What was wrong with the two head on shots the BBC used, looking back from Bechers and then towards Valentines? They provided a much better view of what’s happening further back in the field. Having said that, the moving camera shots are an improvement as they are more elevated than their predecessor, giving a clearer view of the runners.

The aerial shots are pretty useless, you can’t identify the horses, just a case of we’ve got a new toy and we’re going to use it.

....and you've got to look a long way back for anything else.

Participant
    • Total Posts 525

The Racing UK coverage was excellent.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3442

The Racing UK coverage was excellent.

That’s a matter of opinion. Lydia Hislop seemed to spend the afternoon either giving credit to RUK “Golden Boy” Nevison for tipping up Clarcam when in fact he tipped up Josses Hill and giving out tedious ante post prices for next year from her Bookmaker PR mates after every race. She seemed positively taken aback that Chris Dixon didn’t share her enthusiasm for discussing them and him giving them the disdain they deserved.

One thing that was good were the commentaries from Howes, Johnson & Machin.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1635

I can’t see the point of Emma either. She stumbles over her words far too much, and seems to be there just to look attractive. I have to say, bring back Rishi. At least he’s eloquent. Where is he?

Participant
    • Total Posts 3442

I have to say, bring back Rishi. At least he’s eloquent. Where is he?

Unfortunately he’s required by the BBC to be at Augusta. Think the same applies later in the year when he will be required to cover the “Waterloo” at Blackpool.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1635

Oh I see. Presumably the Beeb pays more.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6853

Oh I see. Presumably the Beeb pays more.

Most of them are “freelancers” and are not tied to one broadcaster.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6853

Agree about Emma Spencer – she is out of her “broadcasting-depth”.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2989

Agree with all this. And don’t get me started on the “jockeycam”.
    They could have done worse to approach Jamie Moore since he’s out of action. He was certainly one of the more entertaining guests they’ve had on the Morning Line

Participant
    • Total Posts 533

The cameras for the head on at Beechers failed yesterday, alledgedly the fault has been rectified and they will be operating today.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Burroughhill wrote:</div>
    I have to say, bring back Rishi. At least he’s eloquent. Where is he?

Unfortunately he’s required by the BBC to be at Augusta. Think the same applies later in the year when he will be required to cover the “Waterloo” at Blackpool.

He’ll never match Harry Rigby for commentating on Crown Green Bowling.

I can’t imagine Rishi uttering phrases such as:-

“Oh, criminal bowel there, died short, short as a carrot, left it on the mat”

“He’s played a rambler there, absolute no bowel”

“Two live and let live bowels there Richard”

“That was the most expensive stamp in bowelling since the Penny Black”

“Smoker”

I reckon Rishi would struggle to bring the pie and peas regional atmosphere to the Waterloo handicap.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

• Total Posts 15015

The Aerial shots have always been useless, “we’ve got a new toy and we’re going to use it” sums it up perfectly.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6010

He’ll never match Harry Rigby for commentating on Crown Green Bowling.

I can’t imagine Rishi uttering phrases such as:-

“Oh, criminal bowel there, died short, short as a carrot, left it on the mat”

“He’s played a rambler there, absolute no bowel”

“Two live and let live bowels there Richard”

“That was the most expensive stamp in bowelling since the Penny Black”

“Smoker”

I reckon Rishi would struggle to bring the pie and peas regional atmosphere to the Waterloo handicap.

Was Harry Rigby the commentator on ‘Top Crown’? If memory serves a rather short-lived series on the Beeb back in the ’70s

A favourite phrase I recall was ‘it hasn’t got the legs, IT HASN’T GOT THE LEGS!!’; and a boweller with the very splendid name of Len Gilfedder

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

A few mistakes this week with regards to fallers.

Old Applejack
    Participant
    • Total Posts 209

Agree with comments re camera angles. Am a bit old fashioned old on this, but the traditional ones are the best.

Bit of a clunking error in the Kim Bailey feature on Thursday too. When he was referring to Mr Frisk’s American owner, they illustrated this with pictures of an older lady watching the race. Shame that this was Marcus Armytage’s mum, rather than the owner, Mrs Duffy.

And I was moaning about the BBC interludes for fashion at Royal Ascot I was about eight, and I don’t like them any more now.

Good work so far from Cunningham, McGrath and Luck, Alice is ok, Emma’s not suited to this role at this meeting, and the normally excellent Simon Holt has been stumbling a little bit too.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.