The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Tips for beginners

Home Forums Horse Racing Tips for beginners

Viewing 6 posts - 18 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6010

That stranger I now know as Alan Potts

Any recent sightings of Professor Potts GT?

Your favoured hang-outs are/were shared – Wincanton, Newbury, Goodwood, Bath, Salisbury etc

Participant
    • Total Posts 32999

That stranger I now know as Alan Potts

Any recent sightings of Professor Potts GT?

Your favoured hang-outs are/were shared – Wincanton, Newbury, Goodwood, Bath, Salisbury etc

Last time I talked to Alan was Sussex Stakes day at Goodwood Drone, he seemed fine. Caught a glimpse of him at a distance (bag over shoulder, slowly walking to the betting ring) at Salisbury. With far less value and difficulty getting on (board bookmakers are more or less just traders these days) – and the exchanges offering such good value and easy to get on… I can understand why Alan does not spend anywhere near as much time on course these days Drone.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 32999

Mark, putting it in laymans terms it can be as simple as looking at something and thinking ‘that should be favourite’ or ‘I don’t think that horse will win today why is it favourite’ blah blah etc etc.

My point is not to over complicate it initially whilst getting to grips with horse racing, the OP stated he was completely new to horse racing, it is best to learn about the sport first and foremost. If someone is mathematically minded they will either already understand math behind betting or pick it up very quickly.

We are on the same wave length with odds, there is plenty of information around these days to help starters and you are very forthcoming with newbies yourself which is great, keep it up, I was trying to make it a little easier for the OP seeing as he is only just dipping his toe into the water.

You see the maths as "complicat"ing things tb, I see it (once learnt) as simplifying. But it’s true we are on the same wave length. :)

Fair enough, you might be right tb, a newbie doesn’t want to know the maths. It’s just that not knowing it got me in to bad habits that took time to unlearn once I did know my sums. :wink:

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

You are right, it should make things simple once learnt.

To the OP . Betting on horse racing is a long game, it is a very personal pursuit, peoples styles and ideas vary, you will make mistakes but crucially you will learn from them to make you a better punter.

My advice would be take some time getting used to horse racing, spend a couple of months initially watching racing and studying just writing down your selections and keeping a record of how they perform. This way you can review what you have been doing and see how you can refine your ideas and improve. You may find yourself more comfortable with different racing types, flat/jump, distances, class etc and may find it best to concentrate on one or a couple of sub sets. There are different form publications, time figures etc, experiment with methods and see what brings you results you are happy with. In this time you will undoubtedly notice the relationship and importance of odds to betting on horse racing, start to learn this side of the game next and quickly. If you are mathematically minded you will pick it up and piece it together quickly, if not be patient, stick with it, it will come, rest assured, you do need to learn it.

Enjoy it, I have been following racing for several years and still love settling down to study a race card.

Get organised also! There are lots of ‘tracker’ services out there and all sorts these days, there should be no reason to miss that runner you were interested in. I have developed my own spreadsheet in excel over the years tailored to how I follow racing which helps massively.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6010

Last time I talked to Alan was Sussex Stakes day at Goodwood Drone, he seemed fine. Caught a glimpse of him at a distance (bag over shoulder, slowly walking to the betting ring) at Salisbury. With far less value and difficulty getting on (board bookmakers are more or less just traders these days) – and the exchanges offering such good value and easy to get on… I can understand why Alan does not spend anywhere near as much time on course these days Drone.

Thanks, good to know he’s alive well and still treading the turf: a good sort, AP

He was quite an early convert to armchair-betfair and ceased regular race-going (for punting purposes) a good while ago now; though being one who was more than willing to adapt his methods during the betting revolution instigated by the Exchanges and Chandler’s Gibraltarian cat-amongst-the-pigeons 3% ‘tax’, it wouldn’t be the greatest surprise to learn he’d reverted to type and resumed on-course punting, as when he was a regular on message-boards such as TRF I was of the opinion that that was where his heart lay

Bag over shoulder stuffed with dog-eared readies ‘five thousand to two the one horse please’ ‘sorry sir you can only bet to a monkey with me’: proper punting that, happy days :)

taylorj1979x
    • Total Posts 3

I’m pretty new to this too but my dad always told me there were 5 things to remember,
    know your game
    have a good sense of willpower,
    bank your winnings (even just half)
    don’t drink and gamble
    know when to stop.
    Seems common sense really but I think it’s changed a lot since his day, I know a lot of people now who bet online, with this kind of thing bets.co.uk and there are more FOBT’s too which makes me think that more and more people are after the instant hit rather than looking at the long game.

Viewing 6 posts - 18 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.