The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Timeform Perspective to be axed!

Home Forums Horse Racing Timeform Perspective to be axed!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    GingertipsterGingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26575

Had some disturbing news today that Timeform are going to discontinue the Perspective in April. :(

value is everything
    DroneDrone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5109

Not aware of this myself, but if true can’t say I’m too surprised as it’s just another example of the slow but inexorable replacement of ‘hard copy’ with the virtual alternative: in Timeform’s case Computer Timeform, Race Cards and Race Passes

It’s likely sales of Perspective (and the Black Book) have been falling in tandem with much of the print media, so it’s really just an obvious business decision to do away with the duplicative old and replace it with the (trialled and tested) new

We’ve discussed Timeform several times in the past Ginger, and must say find it a little surprising you’ve stuck with the two-inch slab for so long. Me, being a thrusting, go-ahead sort of chap moved from it to Computer Timeform in 1995

Why the wish to keep one foot in the palaeolithic? :)

CavCav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4809

The Royal Society For The Prevention Of Cruelty To Postmen, have issued an edict…

1.9 inches good
    2.0 inches bad

1.9 inches good
    2.0 inches bad

I like Perspective on the Godolphin website. Something similar done commercially would be interesting.

Participant
    • Total Posts 26575

It was a Timeform employee that told me Drone.

I am not surprised one of the two paper formats is to be dropped, but surprised it is Perspective. Black books in my opinion don’t posess enough information.

I suppose I am living in the palaeolithic because stone has worked for me for so long in the past. :lol:
    Why change a winning formula?
    I do like paper.

I don’t know what I’ll do come April. From what I’ve seen of it, Computer Timeform is in my opinion over priced.

Race Passes is a possibility, although from what I can see doesn’t have the ability to look races/runners up so easily from the past. I may concentrate even more on the better race days than I do now.

value is everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26575

The Royal Society For The Prevention Of Cruelty To Postmen, have issued an edict…

1.9 inches good
    2.0 inches bad

1.9 inches good
    2.0 inches bad

I like Perspective on the Godolphin website. Something similar done commercially would be interesting.

Touche Cav. :lol:

value is everything
    paulostermeyerpaulostermeyer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4607

The other major issue with Computer Timeform (and the online version of Raceform as well, to be fair)is the amount of time it takes to update to a new release of Windows or the latest technology.

Even now CT does not work on 64-bit computers

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

The other major issue with Computer Timeform (and the online version of Raceform as well, to be fair)is the amount of time it takes to update to a new release of Windows or the latest technology.

Even now CT does not work on 64-bit computers

I agree. I have to run my database program in XP mode on my 64bit lappy. Not very cool.

SteeplechasingSteeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5767

With modern tech, there should be a much easier and more comprehensive way of checking form, stats and facts . . . I just don’t know what it is!

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1571

Trouble is there is no comprehensive way of telling which horses are "off" in any given race! :lol:

Participant
    • Total Posts 26575

Trouble is there is no comprehensive way of telling which horses are "off" in any given race! :lol:

Perspective helps with that too EF. :wink:

value is everything
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17718

Didn’t do you much good with Fame & Glory did it Ginge? :wink: :wink:

Participant
    • Total Posts 26575

Didn’t do you much good with Fame & Glory did it Ginge? :wink: :wink:

:lol: True enough Reet, but in their defence F&G was top rated.

Amongst others, it did help with Camache Queen on Sept 28th, backed at 20/1.

7th July Warwick

7f

good-soft 6th
    “Camache Queen persevered with at 7f, again took a keen hold during the early part of the race and failed to last home, so surely she’ll be back over shorter next time”.

Next time:
    6th Sept Lingfield still at

7f

good-soft Camache Queen 3rd
    “Camache Queen really is one to look out for when dropped to sprint trips, going through the race like comfortably the best handicapped horse, but not able to pick up like the winner, albeit not helped by the winner hanging left either”.

Then:
    28th Sept 4:10 Salisbury

Now at 6f

good-soft.
    Backed at 20/1 where SP only 8/1

1st Camache Queen 20/1

:wink:

value is everything
    Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1571

As much as it tells you what Timeform regard as pointers to when a horse has what it considers to be optimum conditions, it still doesn’t actually tell you well connexions have decided "today’s the day". That is something one has more chance of discovering around the pre-parade ring than in a book.

DroneDrone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5109

I agree. I have to run my database program in XP mode on my 64bit lappy. Not very cool.

The Neo-Edwardian binding and prose of Timeform’s annuals that delights the hand, eye and mind is a cause for celebration; their Neo-Luddite attitude to innovation not

That said the second version of Computer Timeform introduced as compatible for Windows XP was, in terms of functionality, a considerable improvement on the original version which was all one could expect on the Windows 3.x platform but by 2005 had become a neolithic if not quite palaeolithic ‘piece of kit’

However, I do have some sympathy with software producers in general having to constantly update their offerings when Microsoft choose to launch yet another version of Windows, seemingly shortly after their previous one has had all its ‘issues’ ironed out and finally functions correctly

Personally, I will continue using XP SP2, which behaves itself splendidly now, until Microsoft stop supporting it. I will then most likely move to a by-then tweaked Windows 7 and let those who enjoy paying through the nose for, and unravelling the glitches of the initial offerings of 8, 9, 10…get on with wasting valuable money and time

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

Usually a minor tweak to the setup routine would be all that is needed to get it to run swimmingly. For example, Windows 7 has a ‘Program Files (x86)’ folder for 32bit compatibility mode. If the setup were looking for this folder it might be nice. Also, a portable USB version might iron out all such problems? Portable versions of programs are quite an easy achievement nowadays with a little prog called VMWare Thinstall.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.