The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Timeform or BHA ratings?

Home Forums Horse Racing Timeform or BHA ratings?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8979

You’re on your death bed. You can have an extra ten years if your selected horse wins a match.

The only info you have to base your decision on are Timeform and BHA ratings.

Whose ratings would you back?

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Not sure I would particularly want an extra ten years myself.

But if somebody else’s life, who I cared about, depended on it I would go for the Timeform rating, narrowly.

The main reason being I believe the Timeform rating would have gone through a more rigorous validation process.

Although if I was being totally honest I would be happier trusting my own judgement – but that wasn’t one of the options.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4453

Blimey Paul! When I read some of your posts I want to end it all! Is life really THAT bad.

Timeform for me btw.

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Kenh
    Participant
    • Total Posts 741

Can I have a prize if I predict Ginger will go for Timeform ? :)

KINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1508

If it was a match ‘Timeform’ would have them joint top rated so i’ll go with the slightly less dodgy BHA! I hope one of thems not

Brampour

though! :shock:

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

As was suggested on another thread if it was Maylane vs Green Green Desert, I’d start loading the bullets into the chambers myself.

Having been brought back from the brink by some truly wonderful medical staff more than once, I’d say ratings wouldn’t count for toffee, give me a good old fashioned slice of luck any day! :D

KINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1508

Having been brought back from the brink by some truly wonderful medical staff more than once,

Would you mind elaborating on that one Eclipse,sounds a bit close for comfort that? :shock:

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

Just a bit of heart (holes) trouble since birth and having it massaged back to working order in the Brompton in 1974 after arresting a few times. Luck is all relative!

KINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1508

Just a bit of heart (holes) trouble since birth and having it massaged back to working order in the Brompton in 1974 after arresting a few times. Luck is all relative!

Fair play to you Eclipse for explaining,i’m sure you dont let silly little things get to you then.Stay Healthy and Lucky we all need both in this World!

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

Fair play to you Eclipse for explaining,i’m sure you dont let silly little things get to you then.Stay Healthy and Lucky we all need both in this World!

Definitely, I was fortunate to find a copy of All Such Fun by Michael Pope in the local hospice shop the other day. Recommended reading from a man who could weave a good racing tale.

Miss Woodford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1335

Neither.

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4823

If forced to choose, I’d take Timeform. I’d have more confidence in the "suite" of handicapping tools they use as detailed by Simon Rowlands on his Betfair Blog, rather than the yardstick approach of the handicapper.

Always wondered if Timeform apply the exact same methodology to lets say a seller at Warwick?

Aside from the marvelous annuals, I’ve never found a Timeform product that suited me. Dont like the online Racepass service at all. Not interested in paper and the export file from Computer Timeform that I saw, looked liked an excerpt from the enigma code. They seem to value customers not being able to analyze their data completely, above all else. Which is a pity, given the usual quality of it.

Where Timeform really stand out imo, is their ability to spot an improving two or three year old Flat animal.

Hurdygurdyman
    • Total Posts 1555

I get the feeling with Timeform that behind every rating of top class horses like Sea the Stars, Dream Ahead 2yo etc there’s a certain amount of let’s keep people interest up.

They can get themselves into one helluva mess by over rating horses then something comes along and gets a sillier rating for beating it. That of course can and does happen with the handicapper as well.

Overall for everyday betting Timeform make allowances for things the handicapper doesn’t so obviously they are the better bet for the punter.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

The only info you have to base your decision on are Timeform and BHA ratings.

That’s going to be a bit of a pity if it’s a Point-to-Point…

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 28471

Can I have a prize if I predict Ginger will go for Timeform ? :)

You’ve won your prize Kenh!
    Then again, you were on a certainty. :lol:

Value Is Everything
    % MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Blimey Paul! When I read some of your posts I want to end it all! Is life really THAT bad.

Timeform for me btw.

Fret not Jonibake – probably more of a topic for the lounge rather than here – but there is absolutely nothing bad in my life at all.

I am very happy with my lot :D

I’m not sure what was depressing about my original post – is it really depressing to have come to terms with ones mortality?

It is going to happen to each and every one of us – maybe I am selfish but it is something I would prefer to approach and address on my terms rather than ignore and pretend it isn’t going to happen.

But as I said this is probably more of a debate for the lounge.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4453

Right that’s it. I’m off to find the nearest bridge :cry:

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.