The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Time for Francome to go?

Home Forums Horse Racing Time for Francome to go?

Viewing 17 posts - 137 through 153 (of 865 total)
  • Author
    deep sensation
    • Total Posts 139

Crepello:

As someone just pointed out the coverage on Saturday will not impress the sponsors. A back handed way for the company to have their sponsorship withdrawn early?

Crep, I think that Sheikh Mohammed is an intelligent man & will probably be more disappointed that Meydan couldn’t get the race off to time & then couldn’t provide a result quickly enough.

Kopwas
    Participant
    • Total Posts 148

deep, you obviously know the workings of the TV stations much better than me and I accept what you say as true.

However (you knew that was coming), Dubai pay a lot of money to C4 as well as the investment into the Carnival. They can surely not be happy about what happened. Also the planning, the races were running a few minutes late all day it was hardly a shock that the main event did so too. Surely they could have had contingencies for such an occurrence? If you plan a sports programme surely you leave time for the event and some review? I think this was sloppy broadcasting.

As for Lesley Graham. I am sure she is sincere but that does not make her a good presenter. Wooden and far too ingratiating. Too many sports journalists are too cosy and dependant on the good will of their sports’ main players. Racing is worse than most, she exemplifies it. She may be a very nice woman but that is not the same as a good presenter.

deep sensation
    • Total Posts 139

Kop,

when the schedules are made up months ago, I hardly think they would know that the races would run late. Yes, maybe they could’ve had a 6:15 off air time, which would’ve led to more time for the events unfolding as they did, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. In the grand scheme of things, if either the race had gone off on time (or at least 3 minutes earlier than it did), or it hadn’t been such a close finish then the result would’ve been broadcast.

As Emma Spencer says, it will have been highly frustrating for all concerned with the production that they had to go off air before the result was known. It doesn’t look good for anyone. But I think it’s a bit unfair to go blaming them for circumstances out of their control.

Also, can I ask a question of the people complaining, especially of anyone e-mailing in to Tanya to complain. Did not knowing the result before C4 went off air cost you any money? I mean, if you are at a pc to email in a complaint or on here posting, then surely you had access to Racing Post.com, or any other website, to get the result?

Or is it the Great British tradition of complaining for complaining’s sake?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

You spin with the best of them Deep. But like the worst of them you ultimately write off customer complaints with flippancy –

It’s attitudes like that from TV management that have seen the quality of coverage continually decline. Well done!

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

I would say its more of a Great British tradition of Muppets like you, looking down their noses at the masses and defending the establishment when its blatantly obvious somebodys made a boo boo! The Dubai World Cup is the richest race in the world,it just so happens to have a new state of the art race course built around the prestige, this race holds in the racing world,a cost that runs into many Millions,way more than C4 could dream of and yet "Come dine with me" gets priority! You are having a laugh!

• Total Posts 1063

Please, please, stop knocking Come Dine With Me. It’s a gastronomic delight and why should I be left on tenterhooks waiting for my favourite programme to come on just so the majority of you can have confirmation that you’ve lost your money.
    I’m so incensed at the comments on here that I’m inclined to write to Channel 4 to ask them to put more Come Dine With Me repeats on in place of The Morning Line.
    So stuff that in your hubble bubble pipe.

Disconcerted,
    Tunbridge Wells.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

LOL

Thanks for the laugh Ken. You forgot to mention it was a 3rd or 4th repeat Come Dine With me though. A boring replay definitely out rates The Morning Snooze.

I’m sure some of the cooking would also have been better stuffed in a hubble bubble pipe than consumed by the contestants. :lol:

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

I find Dubai totally ostentatious, even more so since watching Tropic of Cancer on Sunday night and seeing how disgusted Simon Reeve was at the plight of the migrant workers in Dubai.

• Total Posts 1063

If I truly wanted to experience Islamic culture I think Dubai is the last place on Earth that I would visit.
    As for Come Dine With Me, if I was hosting I think I’d invite The Ante-Post King sat next to Gingertipster and opposite Barry Dennis with Big Mac next to him. Of course I’d hire Cormack to wait on, with Cav and Lydia assisting in the kitchen.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

To read the replies of Deep Sensation you would think that no programme has ever overrun since Channel 4’s inception.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

If I truly wanted to experience Islamic culture I think Dubai is the last place on Earth that I would visit.
    As for Come Dine With Me, if I was hosting I think I’d invite The Ante-Post King sat next to Gingertipster and opposite Barry Dennis with Big Mac next to him. Of course I’d hire Cormack to wait on, with Cav and Lydia assisting in the kitchen.

Barry would need to bring his Alka Seltzer! He would be worried about me taking his "Bet Bigger" advice and cleaning him out! :lol:

deep sensation
    • Total Posts 139

wow ante post king – you feel free to call me a muppet?

you truly are a gent!

deep sensation
    • Total Posts 139

let’s not let logic get in the way of a good argument, just descend into name calling – another Great British tradition!

I wasn’t looking down my nose at anyone, just trying to point out that over running a tv programme isn’t as simple as you make out!

eddie case
    • Total Posts 1214

deep sensation, can you remember when C4 had Test cricket? Schedules were thrown out the window including horse racing, think it was wiped out on a few occasions on a Saturday when a thrilling looking draw was on the horizon in the cricket.
    Don’t think cricket paid a few million to C4 to be shown either.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

wow ante post king – you feel free to call me a muppet?

you truly are a gent!

Apologies if Muppet offends! Your "Its a Great British tradition to complain spiel" offended me! I hate whingers who moan about trivial things,in this instance i believe its fair comment to complain about the way C4 left a country of gamblers out to dry! Different when the adverts in between are all bookmakers "This is what it feels like to lose £50" b******s! If we only had C4 to tell us the result we would have been stuffed! HYPOCRISY rules!

deep sensation
    • Total Posts 139

lol you hate whingers to complain about trivial matters & here you are complaining about a trivial matter. "Left a nation of gamblers high & dry"?? what are you on about? the race was shown on Sky, At The Races & Racing UK plus it appears that C4 actually gave the result out before come dine with me started. So the only thing you didn’t geton C4 was Emma or Mike giving the result or the celebrations.

The people who took the time to email Tanya to complain, wouldn’t it have been quicker to log on the Racing Post website, bbc sports, sporting life or any other sites to get the result? Or, assuming they have sky, turn over to one of the other THREE channels showing the race!

I totally agree it’s an unsatisfactory way to end a programme but it’s no fault of the C4 Racing Team. Circumstances went against them & what appears to be a very rigid C4 schedule that doesn’t allow for an over-run.

And to the guy talking about the days of cricket on C4- yes I remember them. I’m not sure what your point was about the racing but C4 did the right thing by staying with the Test & binning the racing. As for the over-runs, it’s easy to schedule. Each day’s play starts at 11am (or it did in those days). It’s in the rules that play can go beyond the scheduled finish time (6:30?) so when it came to scheduling the tests, they would have stand-by programmes ready to re-jig the schedule. And they would know the over run long before it happened, not 2 minutes as in the case of the Dubai World Cup.

There we go, but hey let’s not let logic get in the way of us all complaining about something that really is of little consequence!

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

I thought it was a bonus having two lots of racing on a Saturday afternoon. If it hadn’t been for that silly jockey posturing the way he was it wouldn’t have bothered me who won; as it was I just checked the result on oddschecker. No big deal, really, just a bit embarrassing for all concerned. Now, if I missed the result of, say, The Grand National or the Gold Cup that would be something to moan about.

Viewing 17 posts - 137 through 153 (of 865 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.